✟83,567.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus turned water into wine in John 2:

11 What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs [G4592] through which he revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him.
G4592 occurs 77 times.

HELPS Word-studies:

4592 sēmeíon – a sign (typically miraculous), given especially to confirm, corroborate or authenticate. 4592 /sēmeíon ("sign") then emphasizes the end-purpose which exalts the one giving it. Accordingly, it is used dozens of times in the NT for what authenticates the Lord and His eternal purpose, especially by doing what mere man can not replicate of take credit for.
Turning the water into wine revealed Jesus' glory. It achieved a specific purpose in the will of God.

John 5:

36 But I have testimony more substantial than that of John. For the works that the Father has given Me to accomplish--the very works I am doing--testify about Me that the Father has sent Me.
Particularly the miraculous works.

John 10:

38 But if I am doing them, even though you do not believe Me, believe the works themselves, so that you may know and understand that the Father is in Me, and I am in the Father."
John 14:

11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves.
Miraculous works were signs and evidence to prove a supernatural point.

Paul performed miraculous healing to demonstrate that he was sent by Jesus.

Miracles are not performed to satisfy people's demands and curiosities.

Matthew 16:

1 the Pharisees and Sadducees came, and to test him they asked him to show them a sign from heaven. ... 4 An evil and adulterous generation seeks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of Jonah.” So he left them and departed.
Luke 23:

8 When Herod saw Jesus, he was very glad, for he had long desired to see him, because he had heard about him, and he was hoping to see some sign done by him.
Herod didn't see any miracles from Jesus.

It is good to believe without seeing the miracles, John 20:

27 he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe.” 28Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!” 29 Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
Bottom line: Hebrews 2:

4 while God also bore witness by signs and wonders and various miracles and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will.

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus turned water into wine in John 2:
G4592 occurs 77 times.
HELPS Word-studies:
Turning the water into wine revealed Jesus' glory. It achieved a specific purpose in the will of God.
John 5:
Particularly the miraculous works.
John 10:
John 14:
Miraculous works were signs and evidence to prove a supernatural point.
Paul performed miraculous healing to demonstrate that he was sent by Jesus.
Miracles are not performed to satisfy people's demands and curiosities.
Matthew 16:
Luke 23:
Herod didn't see any miracles from Jesus.
It is good to believe without seeing the miracles, John 20:
Bottom line: Hebrews 2:
Signs point to something. Jesus' signs (miracles) pointed to the nature of gospel grace, which heals the spiritually sick, lame, blind and maim.

• Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-

Jesus' signs miracles, showed He Jesus was who He said He was. So people could believe in Jesus for Eternal Life.

You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
-​
Jesus' signs miracles, showed He Jesus was who He said He was. So people could believe in Jesus for Eternal Life.

You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.
Jesus' miracles were both testimony to his divinity, as well as signs showing the nature of gospel grace.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Jesus' miracles were both testimony to his divinity, as well as signs showing the nature of gospel grace.
-
Signs are miracles
And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
-
Signs are miracles
And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.
Yes, Jesus miracles demonstrated that he was God.

John calls them "signs" because they also point to (purpose of a sign) the nature of saving grace.

• Useful
Upvote 0