Millennial Reign: Will all reign with Christ?

FearlessHeart

Apr 14, 2013
Bars of bones hold my soul
✟9,086.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Revelation 20:6
English Standard Version (ESV)
6 Blessed and holy is the one who shares in the first resurrection! Over such the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and they will reign with him for a thousand years.

How do people here view the Millennial Reign? Will all Christians participate in the literal 1,000 year reign of Christ? Or will it just be those who conquer/overcome? Rev 3:21. Do you hold to the reign being a literal 1,000 years? I have my views but I'm curious as to how others view it as well.

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
6 Blessed and holy is the one who shares in the first resurrection! Over such the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and they will reign with him for a thousand years.

How do people here view the Millennial Reign? Will all Christians participate in the literal 1,000 year reign of Christ? Or will it just be those who conquer/overcome? Rev 3:21. Do you hold to the reign being a literal 1,000 years? I have my views but I'm curious as to how others view it as well.

Well I do not believe it is a literal reign as in reigning over people. Firstly, when Jesus comes back the world would be laid waste, according to the bible. The world would be a mess. God will recreate the earth after the 1,000 years are completed according to Rev 21.

Also Jesus promised in John 14: 1 - 3 to take us back to his father's house where he is going to prepare a place for us.

After the 1,000 years the New Jerusalem descends to earth.

I do not see how it is possible for us to be reigning here on earth during the millennium.

Upvote 0

Interplanner

Aug 5, 2012
near Olympic National Park
✟12,847.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
To be post-millenial is to believe ACts 2, that CHrist has ascended and i s reigning even with weeds growing everywherre. AT the end is a 'little period' of rebellion and Christ returns to change the heavens and the earth; hence a post-millenial return. Not to be confused with denying t he existence of a millenium, which is simply a very l ong time.

The first resurrection is Christ, and those who a re in him, and who a re in his missiioin (as acts 13:47 implies: it is the OT's vision about Christ a nd t hose in him at once.

(frustrated with server here re Caps and gaps)

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well I personally am an Amillennialist: Click Here

The Greek word for THOUSAND is “chilioi”; the meaning in Greek is a plural of uncertain affinity. So I do not believe that the millennium is exactly 1,000 years.

I too am an Amillennialist/Realized Millennialist. The number "one thousand" is symbolic, the same as in the Psalms when it mentions "cattle on a thousand hills" or when St. Peter writes that "a day with the Lord is like a thousand years" in his second epistle. It's meant to be nondescript and simply imply a large number.

The same as when people in our culture say "oh man I slept forever" or "wow it took him days to get there".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1disciple

Apr 6, 2013
✟1,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

In context, the 1,000 year reign with Christ pertains to those souls who had been slain as martyrs for the word of God, "and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years." --Rev. 20:4

This denotes a spiritual resurrection, the first resurrection, not the bodily resurrection. There is absolutely nothing in scripture mentioned about Christ coming to earth to reign in Jerusalem for 1,000 years. This reign that is seen in Revelation 20 speaks explicitly of a reign in heaven with Christ.

However, I do believe that the 1,000 years denotes an actual timeframe in the progression of the parousia since it has a definite beginning in the binding of Satan and limiting his power and deception on earth and a definite ending with his loosing for the short season to once again deceive the world in full power.

I believe that the 1,000 years are over and Satan has in fact been loosed for a little season to deceive the earth at this time. I'm preter-millennialist (not to be confused with amillenarianism, post-millenarianism, or pre-millenarianism). This difference between preter-millennialism and post-millennialism is that post-millennialism views a golden age coming upon earth where the saints will reign in Christ before the coming of Christ. Preter-millennialism also views the coming of Christ after the 1,000 years, but does not see any 'golden age' as being on earth but rather a spiritual reign from heaven whose time has come and gone. Preter-millennialism holds that the world is currently in the era of the short season of Satan's loosing before the consummation of the coming of Christ in Glory and the Final Judgment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican

Jesus will rule through 24 thrones for a thousand years.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican
That doesn't explain why Jesus will rule through 24 thrones for a thousand years. :)
Jesus rules through His followers as He has been doing since 312 AD. There will soon be a glorious 1000-year reign of the Church when Satan is locked away for a thousand years. Jesus will reign through 24 thrones.

Upvote 0

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Jesus rules through His followers as He has been doing since 312 AD. There will soon be a glorious 1000-year reign of the Church when Satan is locked away for a thousand years. Jesus will reign through 24 thrones.

But why will here be a 1000 year reign?

Upvote 0

Interplanner

Aug 5, 2012
✟12,847.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Rev was about "things that must take place soon" which is why good scholarship says it must at least attempt to see it as being about its times--the awful 7th decade of the 1st century throughout most of the east of the Roman empire, inc. Judea.

Study the NT to see how it handles the OT. It will be different from how Judaism, futurism and D'ism does. Mt 24 & //s are about the calamity of the 7th decade in Judea, 1st century, until you get to v29. At that point, yes, it was about the end of the world, which was expected right after the DofJ, but the Father decided to wait.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I hold that the millennial reign of Christ is right now as has been since he was resurrected.

He appeared to the disciples in Matthew 28:18 and said:
18 And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.

Christ received all authority from God! This is why He reigns now.

In 1 Corinthians 15:20-28 I believe it's pretty clear Christ reigns now:
20 But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep.
21 For since by a man came death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead.
22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive.
23 But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christ’s at His coming,
24 then comes the end, when He hands over the kingdom to the God and Father, when He has abolished all rule and all authority and power.
25 For He must reign until He has put all His enemies under His feet.
26 The last enemy that will be abolished is death.
27 For He has put all things in subjection under His feet. But when He says, “All things are put in subjection,” it is evident that He is excepted who put all things in subjection to Him.
28 When all things are subjected to Him, then the Son Himself also will be subjected to the One who subjected all things to Him, so that God may be all in all.

Christ will deliver the kingdom to God after he returns and judgment has been completed, so the millennial reign is now because clearly at *the end* Christ returns the kingdom to God

The millennial reign is not literal as I view scripture. The 1000 years speaks to the complete time that Christ reigns, and we are in that period as we await His return.

Paul tells us clearly in Ephesians 1:18-23:
18 I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,
19 and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might
20 which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places,
21 far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come.
22 And He put all things in subjection under His feet, and gave Him as head over all things to the church,
23 which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.

Colossians 1:17-20 clearly states Christ reigns now:
17 He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.
18 He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything.
19 For it was the Father’s good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him, 20 and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven.

Christ reigns now! People want to look at things now and conclude Christ is not reigning, because of how the world is going, but Christ is in control of everything right now. This will continue until the salvation of all to be saved is complete. Christ will then come and judge the world.

As Paul wrote to Timothy he proclaimed Christ reign in 1 Timothy 6:13-16:
13 I charge you in the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who testified the good confession before Pontius Pilate,
14 that you keep the commandment without stain or reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ,
15which He will bring about at the proper time—He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords,
16 who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see. To Him be honor and eternal dominion! Amen.

Christ is the ONLY SOVEREIGN right now! He is simply waiting for the "proper time" to exercise judgment....we are in the millennium now!!!

Upvote 0

Interplanner

Aug 5, 2012
✟12,847.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Also just a note in support of what EbedM just said that is often mentioned by N. T. Wright (NT scholar in England on youtube etc): the Christian declaration of Jesus enthroned was not only a 'messianic' problem from Judaism, but a 'emperor' problem for Rome. The audacity of thinking someone was more divine than the caesar! But the word choice of the apostles was exactly that: to place caesar and other Roman officials as subject to the wishes of the Christos of God.

This is why Ps 2 is prayed in Acts 4 and expresses issues not only for the early church in terms of Judaism, but also Herod and Pilate again. they did not seek to ovethrow Rome, except in ideology: they prayed for signs and wonders that would stand behind what they were saying. Ie, they did not seek signs and wonders for some other idle reason.

Upvote 0