May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
Metaphysical naturalism predicts that methodological naturalism and only methodological naturalism will have any success in explaining and predicting how the world works.

All supernatural metaphysical systems (except for deism and pantheism, which basically equate to naturalism anyway)predict that other methods will sometimes have success in explaining and predicting the world.

No method other than methodological naturalism has had any success in explaining and predicting the way the world works.

Thus, it is more likely that metaphysical naturalism is true than any supernatural metaphysical system (excluding pantheism and deism).

Supernaturalists will perhaps claim one or all of three things at this point:

firstly, that metaphysical naturalism fails to explain the purpose of the universe while supernaturalisms succeed;

secondly, that the success of methodological naturalism s reliant on an orderly universe and such a universe must have been created; and

thirdly, that methodological naturalism is succesful to date and that failures, mainly to do with human consciousness, lie just around the corner.

The third objection is simple to counter. A failure by methodological naturalism to explain something does not negate the prediction of metaphysical naturalism. The prediction only applies to things that can be explained. It is entirely possible that there are things in this universe that are unexplainable by human standards. However, the prediction is concerned with succesful methods. Only if methodological naturalism fails and another method is successful is the prediction nullified. That is the challenge to supernaturalists.

The second objection relies entirely upon an unproveable assertion - that an orderly universe requires a creator. Anyonw who makes such a claim must have evidence to back it up, evidence which I believe is unobtainable from within the system.

The first objection is a non-objection simply because it ignores a very important first question: does the universe have a purpose? If not, naturalism's failure to explain it is hardly suprising. Indeed, metaphysical naturalism suggests that the universe has no purpose.

Are there other objections? I would like to hear them.

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think I have a response which doesn't quite fit into your list of examples.

I don't believe that an orderly universe "requires" a creator - logically, anyway. However, I believe we happen to have one. I think that the supernatural underlies our universe - such that I don't see any likely way to test for it within the system, for the same reason that it's hard to use integer arithmetic to "detect" the existance of rational numbers which are not integers.

Obviously, this would be untestable, but I don't see it as needing to be tested; it's obvious to *me*, and in the end, I'm the only one I have to convince.

Upvote 0

Hank

has the Right to be wrong
May 28, 2002
Toronto
✟16,926.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Well I am not a supernaturalist. I can't be bothered with any form of philosophy. If you could give one example showing where methodological naturalism has succeeded then at least I would understand what you mean. (Right now looking at my dictionary the attributes would fit Christianity. They got their own way of teaching how things 'really' are.) Otherwise this is just grey theory, or another fairy tail to be dismissed.

Upvote 0

David Gould

Pearl Harbor sucked. WinAce didn't.
May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
Originally posted by Hank
Well I am not a supernaturalist. I can't be bothered with any form of philosophy. If you could give one example showing where methodological naturalism has succeeded then at least I would understand what you mean. (Right now looking at my dictionary the attributes would fit Christianity. They got their own way of teaching how things 'really' are.) Otherwise this is just grey theory, or another fairy tail to be dismissed.

A random success of methodological naturalism:
methodological naturalism succeeded when Einstein predicted that time is affected by gravity.

Explanation plus succeful prediction.

Upvote 0

David Gould

May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
Originally posted by seebs
I think I have a response which doesn't quite fit into your list of examples.

I don't believe that an orderly universe "requires" a creator - logically, anyway. However, I believe we happen to have one. I think that the supernatural underlies our universe - such that I don't see any likely way to test for it within the system, for the same reason that it's hard to use integer arithmetic to "detect" the existance of rational numbers which are not integers.

Obviously, this would be untestable, but I don't see it as needing to be tested; it's obvious to *me*, and in the end, I'm the only one I have to convince.

Seebs,

I understand that it convinces you. However, if the supernatural is not detectable from within the system that means that it must not have any effect on the system that we can detect.

How is that different from the supernatural failing to exist at all?

Upvote 0

Hank

May 28, 2002
Toronto
✟16,926.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Originally posted by Ray K

Do you mean "theology"?

I'm not seeing a strong connection between the supernatural and philosophy.
No, I did not mean theology. I know at least three people studying religion and have no faith in any of what they study.

To my understanding a Supernaturalist (not just supernatural) is one who reads the bible and tries to prove it's stories. Like a creationist would defend every detail in the Bible. Again I think this act and resulting writings would fall into philosophy.

Upvote 0

Hank

May 28, 2002
Toronto
✟16,926.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Originally posted by David Gould

A random success of methodological naturalism:
methodological naturalism succeeded when Einstein predicted that time is affected by gravity.

Explanation plus succeful prediction.

I got it, I am slow. :idea:

Sorry, if I can't match your vocabulary. Basically what you saying is that the answers of that which we don't understand has to be found by thinking outside the 'box'. Like Einstein did.

So yes, one pro methodological naturalism.

If I still misunderstood your train of thought, just count me as one of those inexplainable phenomenons in this forum.

Upvote 0

David Gould

May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
Originally posted by seebs
The question is one of what *kind* of detection.

My consciousness has no effect on the system that we can detect; I still think I'm real.

Umm, your consciousness has many effects on the system that we can detect - the words you just typed being one example.

Thus, I think you are real, too.

What kind of detection do you mean?

An example that I can think of might be a feeling that you have when you are praying or in a certain church or something like that. This feeling is in response to the presence of a supernatural being.

Something like that?

If so, it seems odd that people get religious experiences from different things. (eg, Hindus get the same feeling sometimes; atheists do too; people on drugs do; people not on drugs do et cetera)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums