Apatheist Extraordinaire
Aug 3, 2003
R'lyeh
Visit site
✟6,762.00
Faith
Atheist
InnerPhyre said:
I believe the important factor is the size of the brain relative to the body, not the size of the brain overall....though whales and elephants are pretty smart ;)
Can't be that either otherwise Hummingbirds would be ruling the Earth and humans would be used as slave labor. Creepy.

The truth is that we can't yet identify exactly what properties of the brain indicate intelligence.

From another perspective, look at humans who are born with strongly pronounced Fragile X syndrome. Rarely would these individuals be considered to be intelligent by any measure, yet a simple look at their brain would hardly reveal any difference from a normal human brain. So obviously intelligence is not only an elusive concept but a fragile one as well.

Upvote 0

Foamhead

I like water
Aug 27, 2005
✟43,534.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
SUNSTONE said:
This is no surprise at all. And women you know deep down inside that it is true.
Does that make men better than women? No it does not.
It means we were designed different, with different purposes in life. Each one very important to help form a team.

Can you name one female chess champion? Have any even come close?

Why do you think God set man as head over a women?

If a man and women join, then the women is the heart of the team, the man is the brains of the team. If one or the other is missing, then the team is broken, or incomplete.
And if a spouse dies, or a person is not married, then God makes up the difference.
There are currently six female grand masters in chess, including Susan Polgar who defeated 10 - 12 year old boys in a tournement when she was FOUR years old. She won ten games out of ten.

The reason it is hard for women to rise through the ranks in chess is that it is still dominated by rich old white men who hold same ignorant opinions about women that you do. If you like I can show you many many examples of women with genius I.Q.'s dating back to ancient Rome.

And brain size has very little to do with how intelligent something is.

Upvote 0

JPPT1974

School's Out!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟571,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Not to change the subject a bit. But women seemed to be clever when it comes to their emotions and their feelings. While men want to bottle them up and act really macho and the "tough guy" part. I think that men are more clever is they are expected to be the breadwinners in their homes while the wives take care of the house and their families. Men know how to balance the money more it seems.

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Foamhead said:
There are currently six female grand masters in chess, including Susan Polgar who defeated 10 - 12 year old boys in a tournement when she was FOUR years old. She won ten games out of ten.

The reason it is hard for women to rise through the ranks in chess is that it is still dominated by rich old white men who hold same ignorant opinions about women that you do. If you like I can show you many many examples of women with genius I.Q.'s dating back to ancient Rome.

And brain size has very little to do with how intelligent something is.

Only 6?
And I'm not sure of that, since this person has only one post. It could be some made up account by another poster on this forum.

And another fishy statement is that last one they made.
Dominated by rich old men? What does that have to do with it, you either win or you lose.

Ok I take up your offer, show me women with genius IQ's dating back to ancient Rome.
When was the term "IQ" evented?

Upvote 0

SallyNow

Blame it on the SOCK GNOMES!
May 14, 2004
Canada
✟26,378.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
SUNSTONE said:
Only 6?
And I'm not sure of that, since this person has only one post. It could be some made up account by another poster on this forum.

I'll give you one reason why women over the centuries do have a disadvantage to men when it comes to reaching the top of any sort of ladder, be it chess or business: children. Pregnancy, infancy, and toddlerhood take up a lot of time and energy and years out of careers for mothers. Even today, society is weary of women who have taken time off to raise kids, and often resistent to part-time work that would allow these women to continue with their career.

Also, let's look at loose theory that has been proposed by a few posters:
the theory that overall, the male population has a flatter bell curve when it comes to intelligence, meaning that there are more exteremly intelligent genuses (IQ's of over 160) men than women, but also more less intelligent men than women, and that there is higher percentage of highly functioning, midrange to highly intelligent women than men. Does that mean that men were meant to be either abstract mathematicians or menial labourers, while women were meant to do all jobs in between: medical, educational, finanicial, etc? Please note this is just a theory being applied on theory, just as much of this thread is based on. :) Where would we be without theory?

Another thing to point is out is societal pressures on women throughout the centuries: women were often expected to be mothers, to have their creative outlets be tapestry, sewing, and other domestically-themed art. Men were expected to earn money, or if possible, study and explore. Women had an obligation that was too important to leave: they had to raise their kids. I've heard (on a recent PBS special, and some random snippets) that often very study-minded girls would become nuns as so they could keep their minds exploring, up until it became allowed for girls to go into higher learning without leaving domestic life behind. (if anyone has the title of the documentary, or more information about this topic, PM please. I highly respect nuns and would like to learn more about them)

Upvote 0

ushishir

Apr 9, 2005
Visit site
✟15,202.00
Faith
Atheist
SallyNow said:
the theory that overall, the male population has a flatter bell curve when it comes to intelligence, meaning that there are more exteremly intelligent genuses (IQ's of over 160) men than women, but also more less intelligent men than women, and that there is higher percentage of highly functioning, midrange to highly intelligent women than men.

This does seem to be the case, a dispropotionately large number of genes that affect intelligence are located on the X chromosome. This means that men are more likely to suffer the harmful effects of mutations in these genes but also benefit from intelligence boosting alleles. In females deleterious alleles could be masked by the other copy but so could beneficial alleles.

From this paper: X-linked genes and mental functioning. David H. Skuse. Human Molecular Genetics, 2005, Vol. 14, Review Issue 1

"Why should there be such a concentration
on this particular chromosome ? Zechner et al. suggest
that the X-chromosome has been engaged in the development
of sexually selected characteristics for at least 300 million
years and that natural selection has favoured the development
of X-linked genes that are associated with higher cognitive
abilities. In particular, males are more likely than females to
be influenced by haplotypes that are associated with exceptionally
high abilities. For an equivalent reason, they are
also more likely to show deficits in mental abilities than
females because of the impact of deleterious mutations
carried in haploid state. The hypothesis offers an explanation
for the higher male variance in many aspects of cognitive
performance."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.