• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

MEDS can WORK

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotuseskimo

Apr 12, 2008
U.S.
Visit site
✟17,126.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK, starting when I was very small my mom had alot of meds, and I did not like the cuboard so full, it genuinely scared me, I know if it is a medication, you would not have a ton of them and have them not work, you should have like two meds, right, if you are really hurting...

So I stayed away from and was very scared of them. When I was 16, I needed them, but I took them like you take crack or heroin, I did not expect a help from them. And then would like, take my moms pills, till one day I took the wrong one and would not touch them now , curiosy does sometimes kill the cat, anyway.

Got schizophrenia, did not take meds the first year. But it got bad. To dellusional, so I took antiphycotics (type a), I hated them once again, but the dellusions went away, and I stayed on them though and I got very disterbed, they became bad for me. At that time, my phyciatrist told me about when he had just started in phyciatry, he said the old asylems you see in tvs were the real deal, now days with these meds, the disturbed.. can go home, these enable so much for them, he said you don't know what it used to be like, it was hell, these new meds opened doors, 'asylems' aren't even called asylems anymore, you find adolesencts in the wards, they come, and most go.:bow:

But I stayed on the antiphycotic, and they hurt me badly. I went off of all the meds once again. and ended up in the ward twice more. This time.. a mood stableizer helped me tremendously, but I was not ready to feel so normal. I took anti-depressants and zanex for when I horribly freaked out. And a sleeping pill.

Now I don't need the anti-deppressants, but I had to know when to go off of them like the anti-phycotics, they began to hurt me again, and this second time I went to the hospitol, I knew I couldn't come here (ward) anymore, the people there now scared me, they made me worse. I needed to get responsible for awful behavior. But when I was in there, I told the docters I was angrey, they were giving me meds I didn't need!!!! I told them what they were doing was serious, that they are doing something very wrong, but I did it kindly, I don't want them doing this to other people. The docter took me seriously, and apoligized, when I accepted she casually said unfortunately you are not these doctors only patients, they have a very large caseload.
I needed to be honest with my phyciatrist when I was having problems, just honest, cause these docters were not trying to kill me, they were neglectful, but so was I.. no more neglecting my health, and time to be honest when I have and issuse:ouch:...
now, Iam ready for the mood stableizer.

The meds helped, the antiphycotic took the wierd thoughts, the antideppressant got me out of a deep hole, and now I'am trying the mood stableizer.

:smoke:this has kinda sucked, but I think others would benifit from what I've learned

Reactions: BlessEwe

BlessEwe

Legend
Dec 22, 2003
California
Visit site
✟33,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi! :wave:

I read this yesterday but was unable to respond at that time, I am sure you will get more people responding.

First off, I love your avatar. Wow!

My sister passed away in 2000, and she had schizophrenia I took care of her( she lived in a independent living home) as both of my parents have died.

I can relate with so much of what you are saying as I saw my sister go through almost the exact things as you. Before she was diagnosed, she saw things in the T.V. ( when it was off) and in car headlights. She felt the FBI and CIA were after her, and I tell you she almost had me convinced they were. lol, but sad.
Have you seen the movie "Beautiful Mind" ? Oh my gosh, Russell Crow nailed it. I cried and cried because I was able to see what she went through, but she had already died from a heart condition. She would have love it!

She went through the same frustration as you with the overload of cases the doctors had.
It really sounds like you are being pro-active, not just settling with what they say, but having your own in-put with the doctors.

I am sure you are just as kind and a beautiful as she was, a very caring person. A woman with a loving heart for God. She struggled at times like you and had to go to the hospitals as well. At first we couldn't get the right help, and it was really hard to get her into the system. I am sure the cut-backs are even worse now in the system.

Are you still living at home, were you able to go to college?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
... nothing, no-one has read this, or...no-one has anything to say

Sorry haven't visit this forum for awhile.

Yes you are right about medications working, I went off and on medication as well before I learned to see what was good for me and what genuinely helped.

Meds that work can be hard to find, it was for me any way, but a good drug can still often be found.

Persistence, though don't keep taking pills when they don't work (well), and careful monitoring progress works the best I found.

:wave:

Upvote 0

lotuseskimo

Apr 12, 2008
U.S.
Visit site
✟17,126.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you so much for writing, I'm emaressed by my second post, I'm sorry.

I'm an artist, I love form and color, thank you:), I totally worked a bit on my avatar.

I'm sorry to hear about your sister. My fiance takes care of me, he has been through so much. I catch glimpses of what he has had to go through, I have to genuinely try to understand, because it's not fun getting stuck just in what I'm going through.
I went through about a month of dellusions, includeing full on hallucination of my friend who had died, I would hallucinate him walking circles around my house, I saw a man as large as my house. I had once jumped in our local creek, and officers had to aressest me (long story), and the officer that had arrested me told my Mom that I was the worst case he had ever seen, I thought when she told me that well he hasn't seen many then, but Im seeing that others did not have as bad a case of schizophrenia as me. I don't hallucinate now at all like for years, I hear evil voices. And I realize God will be the only one to help me. He helped me out of that really awful time in the begining he'll help me still.
I plan on getting involved in a really good church that I found, and reading the Bible.

Prescription pills can be very dangerous.

For now, Im going to hang out at home, and go to church, and read the Bible, eventualy I'll be able to go school, this what Ive been doing, I stayed in bed, and said eventually I can get out, I stayed at home and eventually went to like the farmers market, and I got my thought processes back. Starting over a bit now, but this time I want to go to school, and have a base in church.:)

Hmm, to be honest, right now Im feeling a bit thankful to God, because he did carry me out of something that was worse than I had thought before.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you so much for writing, I'm emaressed by my second post, I'm sorry.

I'm an artist, I love form and color, thank you:), I totally worked a bit on my avatar.

I'm sorry to hear about your sister. My fiance takes care of me, he has been through so much. I catch glimpses of what he has had to go through, I have to genuinely try to understand, because it's not fun getting stuck just in what I'm going through.
I went through about a month of dellusions, includeing full on hallucination of my friend who had died, I would hallucinate him walking circles around my house, I saw a man as large as my house. I had once jumped in our local creek, and officers had to aressest me (long story), and the officer that had arrested me told my Mom that I was the worst case he had ever seen, I thought when she told me that well he hasn't seen many then, but Im seeing that others did not have as bad a case of schizophrenia as me. I don't hallucinate now at all like for years, I hear evil voices. And I realize God will be the only one to help me. He helped me out of that really awful time in the begining he'll help me still.
I plan on getting involved in a really good church that I found, and reading the Bible.

Prescription pills can be very dangerous.

For now, Im going to hang out at home, and go to church, and read the Bible, eventually I'll be able to go school, this what Ive been doing, I stayed in bed, and said eventually I can get out, I stayed at home and eventually went to like the farmers market, and I got my thought processes back. Starting over a bit now, but this time I want to go to school, and have a base in church.:)

Hmm, to be honest, right now Im feeling a bit thankful to God, because he did carry me out of something that was worse than I had thought before.

Great hearing from you!

Good to hear you are doing better than before, and no Schizophrenia is no fun illness to have. Yet you know the Truth, God is our ever loving and all able loving truth. No evil voice can drown out His presence for very long, He always comes back to us no matter where we have been. No-one is as faithful as our God, I found!

Great you love art, such is important that we would express our reality, the more the better, for labelling people 'mad' has few understandings about those who suffer from psychosis.

The Schizophrenic forum hasn't got a creative thread, I visit the Bi-polar section and write there, as I'm Schizo-affective apparently!

You know what really helped against the voices for me? E.C.T, what a wonderful treatment, it brought me back out of insanity, though I did loose my memory for some time afterwards, this helped me along enormously because I forgot years of extreme trauma as well. Sure this treatment sounds scary, and I was scared to have it done - I had 18 sessions and was scared before all of them - but it took most of my voices and a lot of my manic depression away.

Ultimately I'm learning to ignore my evil voices, for I can't truly stop them, this is working better and better, and I think that at 49 I'm finally becoming able even with evil around, instead of unable. I hope and pray God will take you away from your inabilities as well. Honest He is most capable.

Be most blessed, forevermore!

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
lol, what a good friend you are Jeshu..

What is E.C.T.?

E.C.T stands for Electro Convulsive Therapy! (The treatment doctors often misused in the 1950 and 60s, but which can work wonders.)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.