Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
With the start of Lent, you may be getting ready to give up meat on Fridays until Easter. While this may not sound complicated, it can be a challenge for busy families if you're not prepared with some crowd-pleasing meat-free recipes. Don't fret, though—just bookmark this collection of hearty lent-friendly meals that are so good, you'll want to cook them year-round.

1 of 20
Creamy Corn and Seafood Chowder

Continued below.

Reactions: WarriorAngel

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I love corn chowder and New England clam chowder. A great suppah is a French bread pepper and egg sub. It’s very popular for lent.
Never heard of that sub! I need to look it up!

Reactions: eastcoast_bsc
Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
If anyone has a Kroger online account and you look up Recipes on their site, they have wonderful examples of vegetarian recipes on there, better than anywhere I've ever seen.

Of course you can look up recipes based on whether they have fish or seafood in them too.

Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Someone please tell me how "pleasing", "delicious", "popular", "great" -- fit in with "sacrifice", "penance", "self-denial" traditionally associated with Lent, and our preparation for the Self-sacrifice of the Cross, and our necessary cross, approaching.

Is Lent meant to be the mere exchange of one mode of self-satisfaction for another?

Last edited:
Reactions: LesSme
Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Someone please tell me how "pleasing", "delicious", "popular", "great" -- fit in with "sacrifice", "penance", "self-denial" traditionally associated with Lent, and our preparation for the Self-sacrifice of the Cross, and our necessary cross, approaching.

Is Lent meant to be the mere exchange of one mode of self-satisfaction for another?
Well, does Lent mean we are supposed to hate what we eat?

Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well, does Lent mean we are supposed to hate what we eat?
It means we are to hate the values, the pleasures, the self-satisfactions of this passing world, and seek rather the values, the joys, the God-centered fulfillment of His Kingdom, tasted here in part, and to come in eternity. We cannot serve both, we cannot love both, we cannot have both. In the end, it is one or the other.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It means we are to hate the values, the pleasures, the self-satisfactions of this passing world, and seek rather the values, the joys, the God-centered fulfillment of His Kingdom, tasted here in part, and to come in eternity. We cannot serve both, we cannot love both, we cannot have both. In the end, it is one or the other.
Oh I see. I guess I was looking at it another way:

That God, through his kindness, still provides food for us that we can enjoy in spite of our temptations to eat other foods during this time. And for that, I have gratitude. But I guess that's not what it's supposed to mean.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

That God, through his kindness, still provides food for us that we can enjoy in spite of our temptations to eat other foods during this time. And for that, I have gratitude. But I guess that's not what it's supposed to mean.

No we are not to hate food during this time. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. We also have families to cook for. There are many things we can do during Lent. Food is just one of them.

Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Everything created by God is good! What can be "not good" is receiving anything that is good, provided by God, into a self-centered, self-idolizing, God-neglecting and Truth-discarding "life." This is the picture of the current godless society and culture: "It's all about ME." In the citizens of such a culture, the non-religion is all about feeding "It's all about ME." This is a modern adaptation of an ancient sin in Israel and later in the Church: following the teachings of Balaam (Rev 2:14) and "eating foods sacrificed to idols", and the Nicolatians (Rev 2:6), and the modern Jezebel (Rev 2:20)

God is beautifully providential toward us! He provides more than we need, and is due in return our praise, our obedience, our worship. Many instead, in the self-obsessed culture, give Him the left-overs of our time, our gifts, our lives. Lent is a good time to see that, and recognize our disordered self-love as the sin that it is, and thus calls us to repentance, reform, renewal, and sincere commitment to LIVE as a disciple of Christ. As in 24/7/365. As in "all in!" As in "yes" to Him, in all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums