Not open for further replies.

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I like what I know of her. I really like to finally see a Republican with union ties. It does not change my reservations about both parties but I think she is a really good choice.

I like to see that a Conservative speaks well of the Unions. The thing the younger people do not understand is , how it was prior to the advent of unions. My 80 year old Dad fought on the picket lines, and I mean fought. he shed blood to ensure that workers had decent wages and benefits.

He often told me the stories on how horrific the conditions were for the workers. Hours were not guaranteed, health and dental were but a dream. Injured on the job ? That meant goodbye. Weekends off with the family ? Ha never. I like McCain's pick and I believe in decent wages and human rights for workers.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,125,877.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
To draw an analogy, I think that a majority of women will be about as excited about Sarah Palin's run for Vice-President as blacks were when Clarence Thomas was appointed to the Supreme Court.

Most women want a woman candidate who will champion women.

Most blacks wanted a black Supreme Court justice who championed black people.

Getting the women's vote is more than a matter of finding a candidate with the right chromosomes.

Winning black support is more than a matter of appointing a Supreme Court justice with a certain amount of pigmentation.

Upvote 0

colleen

We are an Easter people!
Mar 8, 2002
✟21,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've spent my entire life amongst the disabled community don't tell me how it works, Fantine. I've lived it! My point was that you were make assumptions on how she is living her life and raising her children. If you're not then I would love to have a source of her schedule of "neglect".

And, if you are going to make this argument then it should really apply to any politician or anyone in a demanding job of any sort. And, is should apply to men and women as children need the presence of mothers and fathers in their life. So should only those with grown children or no children at all be able to hold those positions, or be accused of neglecting their children if they do? If so the same should apply to Senator Obama and his children. Do believe Nancy Pelosi abandoned her children by choosing a life in politics?

And, as someone that had a stay at home mom I will say that I gained much more from having her at home when I was in middle school/ high school than I did when I was younger. I don't think we should assume that older children wouldn't benefit from having a mom at home, or that a woman seeking a demanding job is "doing less damage" just because her children are a few years older.

Like I said, I'm shocked to see such an anti feminist argument from you.

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Respect Catholics and the Mother Church!
Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Personal attack alert....

Down Syndrome children should receive special education from birth, starting out with home visits, graduating to parent and me classes, graduating to all day preschool including summer sessions.

And there is a big difference between being a "working" mother and making the decision to take a leave from your current super-demanding time-intensive job to campaign for Vice-President of the United States, traveling non-stop perhaps 18 hours a day with a day off every two weeks or so. I believe that women should have equal opportunities with men, but I also believe that any successful career woman with 5 children, one a special needs infant and one a first-grader who makes the decision to take on such a demanding job is not the kind of role model most women would find compelling or appealing.

Particularly in the case of the very women McCain is trying to appeal to, the upper-middle class soccer moms, I think that many will wonder why she chose to do this now, not four years from now, when three of her kids would be out of the house and her last two would be older, or eight years from now....she would still be young then. She would have had a little more experience, and, God willing, more wisdom.

I was a stay at home Mom for ten years. I can honestly say that I became a better Mother when I went to work. You cannot just broadbrush everyone like that. You do not know her or what she is capable of. Plus, she has family and staff to help. How great would it be to see a nursing Mom preside over the Senate. A staffer brings baby in, and removes baby when nursing is done. It would be PHENOM!

You are insulting every working Mother out there. I have a special needs child. Being able to stay at home is not always the best thing for anyone. I believe that the only reason you are taking this stand is because of Partytics. I cannot believe that any woman in today's society, but especially a liberal democrat would say such a thing about any woman. It is a desperate attempt to regain the momentum that Obama lost today with this announcement. Desperate and completely transparant.

Lisa

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
All I have to say is this:

God and Country FIRST! YAHOO!!!!! We finally have a good vice president elect that will be a great asset to us Catholics. She is pro-life all of the way. She has spirit, courage and charisma. She is awesome!. . .

I agree but you know she is a conservative and they can be nasty. If people keep saying mean things about her and how she takes care of her children she might sic "Target" the Iditarod dog on them:

dog.jpg

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree but you know she is a conservative and they can be nasty. If people keep saying mean things about her and how she takes care of her children she might sic "Target" the Iditarod dog on them:

dog.jpg

She is sooooo adorable. Just look at that hair and I LOVE her coat!

Lisa

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
To draw an analogy, I think that a majority of women will be about as excited about Sarah Palin's run for Vice-President as blacks were when Clarence Thomas was appointed to the Supreme Court.

Most blacks wanted a black Supreme Court justice who championed black people.

Getting the women's vote is more than a matter of finding a candidate with the right chromosomes.

Winning black support is more than a matter of appointing a Supreme Court justice with a certain amount of pigmentation.

So are you implying that woman are not interested in family values, faith, education and serving their countries ? You maybe implying that a certain minority demographic of feminist woman may not share Mrs Pelan's family and pro life values.

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow... After watching Gov. Palin speak today, I think we might have been introduced to our first female President 8 years from now. Real change and fresh air in the mix... Deo gracias!

Lady Liberty Personified!!!! :clap:

Is it exciting or what!!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,125,877.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No Child Left Behind does not equal education.

Family values include things like health care, family leave, minimum wage laws, the kind of jobs that unions fought for for a hundred years before Reagan struck the first death blow to them when he broke the Air Traffic Controllers Union.

Obama believes in national service. He proposes giving college money to every young person who participates in national service or the military. Imagine what we could accomplish (and what a growth experience our young people would have) if they participated in peaceable national service.

How can any responsible parent, male or female, feel anything but horror if his child went off to fight an unjust, unwarranted war?

Republicanism has nothing to do with faith, despite their attempts to define it as an adjunct to their party platform.

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Also, it's great to see the liberal reaction to real change when they finally see it. Suddenly, she's a woman who should stay at home and she needs "more of the same" stuff they've been preaching against. I guess in the end, Obama's change was in reality just more of the same... Biden's about as generic career politician as you get.

Reactions: Lisa0315
Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
How can any responsible parent, male or female, feel anything but horror if his child went off to fight an unjust, unwarranted war?

What war are you referring too ?

The one which started when they killed innocent civilians by flying jet liners into sky liners or the one that took a a dictatorship that was involved in genocide ?

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
I know you might find this hard to believe, Fantine, but men and women are still joining the military with full knowledge of what is going on in Iraq and Afghanistan. They are not ignorant, they are intelligent and some have taken pay cuts to join the armed services. Many parents are proud of their children's decisions, and not everyone feels our current actions are unjust.

Upvote 0

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

And this is exactly why I'm voting for McCain and Palin... She does champion women... she is awesome. I'm so estatic to see for the first time on the Republican ticket, a woman who is PRO LIFE and also against big corporations who are dishonorable adn also is not for the lobbyists. She is in touch with the people...

I'm looking forward to see how this all turns out now. My blood is boiling with excitement and esctasy... It's absolutely wonderful. I can vote with a clear conscious.

God Bless America.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,125,877.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My feeling that this is not the appropriate time for her to run for Vice-President has nothing to do with her politics. I would feel the same about any candidate in similar circumstances.

What I dislike about her is her idea that Alaskan oil will be our salvation (and her state's windfall) when what we really need to do is develop alternative sources of energy so that we are not dependent on oil, and so that the price of this natural resource will drop, shifting the world balance of power away from countries that are seeking to destroy us.

Along with her lifetime NRA membership and her support of hunting wolves by shooting high-powered rifles out of airplanes.

Upvote 0

D'Ann

Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was a stay at home Mom for ten years. I can honestly say that I became a better Mother when I went to work. You cannot just broadbrush everyone like that. You do not know her or what she is capable of. Plus, she has family and staff to help. How great would it be to see a nursing Mom preside over the Senate. A staffer brings baby in, and removes baby when nursing is done. It would be PHENOM!

You are insulting every working Mother out there. I have a special needs child. Being able to stay at home is not always the best thing for anyone. I believe that the only reason you are taking this stand is because of Partytics. I cannot believe that any woman in today's society, but especially a liberal democrat would say such a thing about any woman. It is a desperate attempt to regain the momentum that Obama lost today with this announcement. Desperate and completely transparant.

Lisa

I agree Lisa with you. I'm a working mom and it's a challenge raising a family and working to help support the family. But I believe that I'm a better human being and a better mother and a better person for having the struggles of working outside of the home as well as working inside the home. A mother's job is never done whether she works in the home or outside of the home.

Furthermore... Hillary is a working mother... Fantine, how can you downgrade another working mother without downgrading your Hillary?

Upvote 0

D'Ann

Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

dog.jpg

I rather deal with the dog than with Hillary's politics any day. Cute picture. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.