Maybe it doesn't matter, but I would like to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tofferer

LCMS - Lutherie
Nov 15, 2004
Lakewood WA
Visit site
✟19,597.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In May of 2002, Hope and I had Jeremiah baptized. He was baptized at Emmanuel Lutheran Church ELCA in North Tacoma. His godparents were two friends of ours. However, here is my query:

Neither of these two friends is a member of any Lutheran church. Such being the case, was it wrong for us to allow non-Lutherans to sign as Jeremiah's godparents?

I ask as I was thinking about a recent baptism at church and what the sponsors (parents, godparents etc) must affirm. Any thoughts?

Flipper

Flippant Dolphin
Feb 19, 2003
✟12,928.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
What I was told was that the Bible says nothing specifically about godparents. As long as they are Christians, and will take an interest in the child's Christian growth, that's all that counts.

One of the people we are considering asking to be a godparent is not Lutheran. The other one is.

Upvote 0

Tofferer

LCMS - Lutherie
Nov 15, 2004
Lakewood WA
Visit site
✟19,597.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
However, in the rite of baptism, there is the issue of what faith we want our child to grow up in. I do not affirm the doctrines of the baptist church (which my friend Gerald claims). It seems to me that it is hypocritical of a non-Lutheran to serve as a godparent since they don't affirm the doctrines and beliefs of the Lutheran church. There lies my concern. Am I wrong?

Upvote 0

Flipper

Flippant Dolphin
Feb 19, 2003
✟12,928.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Depends on what you want as a Godparent.

While I agree with Luther's interpretation of the Bible more than anyone else's, I think it's much more important that the child be a child of Christ and a Christian first, and Lutheran second. I didn't even have that kind of support growing up.

Further, the friends we are asking we've each known for over 20 years with one and close to 20 years with the other. I can't say that about all my Lutheran friends from church because I've only been Lutheran for 12 years, and part of my Bible Study where most of my friends come from for about 6 years.

Granted I grew up Catholic, but my mom picked godparents who hardly saw us and didn't keep in touch with my parents. I want people who we know we will stay friends with, and who are interested in our kids having a Christian upbringing.

There are no set rules that I know of as long as the godparents are Christians themselves (maybe Rev or someone can set me straight on that if I'm wrong), so whatever you feel is right. I don't think you did anything wrong, but if you and your wife feel the need to change it, then that's your decision.

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
What I was told was that the Bible says nothing specifically about godparents. As long as they are Christians, and will take an interest in the child's Christian growth, that's all that counts.

I agree.

I would select SOLID, ACTIVE Christians with whom the child is likely to have close contact at least throughout his childhood and youth. Ones that will actually fulfill their vows and be actively involved in helping parents in this regard.

I recall my father saying in the Bible class that good Godparents are folks that will phone you at 6:30 AM on Sunday to remind you to get their Godchildren to church and Sunday School if the parents are be remiss; and if that doesn't work, will come over and pick them up.

My Catholic friend, Mark, has Godparents who are the required Catholic, chosen because of that and because they are relatives (aunt and uncle, I think) and to "honor" them - but he's not seen or heard from them for as long as he can remember. BAD choice.

Upvote 0

porterross

I miss Ronald Reagan
Jan 27, 2006
just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I agree with Flip's assessment. My sister is my daughter's godmother, which means she would have grown up Anglican had I not been around, but at least I know she would have indeed been catechized and expected to attend church. You have to choose the most responsible sponsors available whom you know will care for your child(ren) as close to the manner you would as possible. There are likely few perfect candidates for most parents faced with the decision.

Upvote 0

BigNorsk

Contributor
Nov 23, 2004
✟18,457.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I was kind of surprised that Baptists would agree to be godparents and participate in a child's baptism.

Evidently they aren't rabid Baptists so to speak.

Did you talk with them or did the pastor talk to them about being godparents as in what it means? Or did they just see it as some sort of honor?

I guess it isn't ideal to have Baptist godparents but then often the ideal choice seems to be missing from one's life. You do your best. You pray. You trust God. Is there anything else a parent can do?

Have you seen Kelly Klagnes' publication on baptism? She is a Lutheran minister's wife who was a Baptist, and it explains things and answers baptist type of questions and challenges to the Lutheran understanding.

It's really a good work and I was hoping one of the Lutheran publishers would pick it up and publish it.

If you haven't seen it, let me know. I know there's a saved link to it on some computer in this house.

Marv

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
My mindset has always been to pick Lutherans first, because I'd want my children raised Lutheran before anything else. We were very fortunate to have a large number of Lutheran brothers, sisters and in-laws to choose from.

If I couldn't have Lutherans as God-parents, I would try to see if anyone was remotely close to Lutheran in their teaching. I am Lutheran for a reason, and I'd want that passed down through my children.

If you can find good strong solid Christians then that's half the battle.

Upvote 0

LutheranChick

Jul 12, 2007
Iowa
✟9,888.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When my kids were baptized, we had to have Lutheran sponsors. My husbands family wasn't Lutheran but we still wanted to include someone from 'his side', so the Pastor said we could have them as witnesses. They stood up with the sponsors and us during the baptism. That was a long time ago though, and anymore, I think the role of the sponsor, or godparent, is really just a tradition. I'm not saying that's the way it should be, it just is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The using of sponsors or "godparents" for baptismal candidates is a long time tradition in the Church. They should be someone who has the same theological understanding as the parents of the child. They MUST be baptized Christians themselves. I am slightly surprised that a Baptist would agree to sponsor an infant/child Baptism since neither do they believe in paedo-baptism nor do they believe that any baptism outside of the Baptist Church is even valid. They can't be very active in their faith.

One thing that usually happens is that people are asked to sponsor a child at baptism because they are friends of the parents and the parents feel that they would be hurt or slighted somehow if they weren't asked. Totally the wrong reason, but it happens more often than not.

Upvote 0

Flipper

Flippant Dolphin
Feb 19, 2003
✟12,928.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
One thing that usually happens is that people are asked to sponsor a child at baptism because they are friends of the parents and the parents feel that they would be hurt or slighted somehow if they weren't asked. Totally the wrong reason, but it happens more often than not.

I so agree. We expect to make a few people angry when they find out who we are asking because they expect to be asked.

Upvote 0

Jim47

Heaven Bound
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2004
Michigan
✟46,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with Preechers Wife

If you are going to have sponcers then they should be of the same faith that you expect to raise the child in.

The best alternative is to have the congregation act as sponcers, and have grandparents or others simply witness the baptism.

Upvote 0

Tofferer

LCMS - Lutherie
Nov 15, 2004
Lakewood WA
Visit site
✟19,597.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So my concerns are fairly valid, especially since neither of the "godparents" are very active in our lives anymore. We see Gerald every once in a while, but he has little interest in even coming to church with us anymore and he goes to church with his father with a certain reluctance. I am fearful for him and his faith.

Upvote 0

porterross

I miss Ronald Reagan
Jan 27, 2006
just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You could always make sure your will specifies the issues you're most concerned with regarding your son. Given that it's necessary for the matter of your life insurance, his inheritance is surely going to be entrusted to someone other than his godparents, right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RedneckLutheran

I'm so confused...
Dec 7, 2008
✟8,025.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
My mindset has always been to pick Lutherans first, because I'd want my children raised Lutheran before anything else. We were very fortunate to have a large number of Lutheran brothers, sisters and in-laws to choose from.

If I couldn't have Lutherans as God-parents, I would try to see if anyone was remotely close to Lutheran in their teaching. I am Lutheran for a reason, and I'd want that passed down through my children.

If you can find good strong solid Christians then that's half the battle.

that would've been great...but we don't have any Lutheran family...of any type...all of my wife's family is southern Baptist and all of my family is Roman Catholic...we kinda had to go with what we had...

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland maintains that the most important "task" of the godparent is to pray for the child and offer spiritual support by helping the parents with the child's Christian upbringing. Therefore only a confirmed member of the Lutheran Church can be a godparent. Furthermore, in our case, "the Lutheran Church" refers to the "Porvoo Community", i.e. the Finnish, Swedish, Norwegian, Icelandic, Estonian and Lithuanian Lutheran Churches. No word whether a North American confirmed Lutheran would qualify, but I assume yes, (someone paperwork might be in order, though ;)) as long as there is something to show that the prospective godparent confirms to our Lutheran confessional basis.

Upvote 0

Tetzel

Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
✟10,575.00
Faith
Lutheran
In May of 2002, Hope and I had Jeremiah baptized. He was baptized at Emmanuel Lutheran Church ELCA in North Tacoma. His godparents were two friends of ours. However, here is my query:

Neither of these two friends is a member of any Lutheran church. Such being the case, was it wrong for us to allow non-Lutherans to sign as Jeremiah's godparents?

I ask as I was thinking about a recent baptism at church and what the sponsors (parents, godparents etc) must affirm. Any thoughts?

You should have picked Lutherans. IIRC a Godparent's duty is to teach the faith. If I have a kid, I'm sure my brother might feel slighted, but I'm asking a friend from church.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.