• I don't know/Other.

Results are only viewable after voting.
May 10, 2011
✟8,534.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For me (single and unmarried), it is most certainly a sin and something to flee from. I have been given a conscience and I feel guilt whenever I have done it. I also am aware of 'pushing God out' at those times, not just feeling distant and that is wrong, so wrong.

I am surprised that so many posters here see no problem with it.
thats what is called a seared conscience, they can't break free from the addiction, so they must somehow justify it as ok behavior, the more people they can get bound by this complete lack of self control, the more it seems they are justified by doing it. your wisdom is from God, keep a close check on what you let your mind think about and you will find its an easy battle to fight, when the enemy can't make any lustful thought stick in your head. cast it out and hold everythought captive to Christ, see you on the otherside....God bless!

Reactions: AndrewZinc
Upvote 0

Waltah

Dec 5, 2011
✟7,638.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This was the only open thread I can find on the subject and being a new guy on the forum, it looks like I picked quite the topic.

I'm having a hard time with this. I'm 26, married, and away from my wife and daughter for a few months. If I touch it is to the videos or pictures I have of my own wife and I to get me by. My wife is okay with this obviously and I don't lust after other females or have other fantasies when I do it. I'm just struggling with what God would think and it seems there isn't anything specific in scripture.

God bless you all, looking forward to being a part of the community.

I think this is the situation where there would be the least objection. Many people would actually recommend it if it helps you resist temptations. And of course many Christians don't object at all, or at least feel it's not a big issue. James Dobson, who is ordinarily pretty conservative, says that although he doesn't endorse it, guilt the many people feel over it is a more serious problem than the act itself.

i would like to speak to my pastor about it but it's an odd/personal subject, so I figured I would start here first. didn't realize it was so controversial though.

Upvote 0

AndrewZinc

Oct 1, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
✟15,526.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
i would like to speak to my pastor about it but it's an odd/personal subject, so I figured I would start here first. didn't realize it was so controversial though.

The team from my church leading our Youth Weekend Away are doing a course just now designed to develop our faith. We were briefly discussing things that could divert us from attention on God, and this was one.

One of the course leaders is a Christian Counsellor and says so many people are affected by this, but I don't think they separated lust from the action. I didn't realise it was controversial either.

Welcome to the Forum by the way! ;)

Upvote 0

Waltah

Dec 5, 2011
✟7,638.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The team from my church leading our Youth Weekend Away are doing a course just now designed to develop our faith. We were briefly discussing things that could divert us from attention on God, and this was one.

One of the course leaders is a Christian Counsellor and says so many people are affected by this, but I don't think they separated lust from the action. I didn't realise it was controversial either.

Welcome to the Forum by the way! ;)

this is where i think the problem is. and i cant stress enough that i dont lust over anyone but my wife during the act.

thanks for the welcome!

Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Bible doesn't mention masturbation in specific. But it does mention lust. I believe if you touch out of lust it is a sin. Otherwise, I don't believe it is. The reason why I don't do it, is because if I ever get married, I wouldn't want it to compete with my husband...

Upvote 0

Mankin

A Strange Mixture of Random Components.
Site Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
In the Norse Lands
✟54,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I think this is the situation where there would be the least objection. Many people would actually recommend it if it helps you resist temptations. And of course many Christians don't object at all, or at least feel it's not a big issue. James Dobson, who is ordinarily pretty conservative, says that although he doesn't endorse it, guilt the many people feel over it is a more serious problem than the act itself.

Pretty much this. Masturbation has always been around. If it was that much of an issue, surely the Bible would contain verses on it.

Also, the entire issue hinges on how one defines the word "lust" which tends to get quite a few different interpretations.

Upvote 0

liars_paradox

Jun 8, 2009
North Carolina
✟9,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Do you see masturbation as a sin or not or maybe you don't know? Please vote in my poll and discuss.

I do not believe masturbation to be a sin.

I voted yes. I haven't heard strong arguments for it being a sin, but my feeling is that it's still a sin.

I think that we're not supposed to give into the urges of our bodies as followers of Christ. This is why we should occasionally fast and shouldn't give into excessive eating, and drinking. Similarly, I feel that masturbation is the same.

We're supposed to overcome our bodies' desire to have sex, except when it's appropriate. Masturbation only feeds this animal urge that lies deep within your body.

It'd be easy if we could just simply touch, because our bodies urge us to do it. But, I think that abstaining from masturbation is part of letting go of the things of this earth.

If you can let go of worldly things, or at least desire them less, then it can make it easier for you to transition into the Kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

liars_paradox

Jun 8, 2009
North Carolina
✟9,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Pretty much this. Masturbation has always been around. If it was that much of an issue, surely the Bible would contain verses on it.

Also, the entire issue hinges on how one defines the word "lust" which tends to get quite a few different interpretations.

inappropriate contentography has also been around longer than the bible. But, the bible doesn't even talk about it. Does that make inappropriate contentography okay?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Forge3

Forge
Aug 26, 2009
Toronto
✟13,441.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I voted yes. I haven't heard strong arguments for it being a sin, but my feeling is that it's still a sin.

I think that we're not supposed to give into the urges of our bodies as followers of Christ. This is why we should occasionally fast and shouldn't give into excessive eating, and drinking. Similarly, I feel that masturbation is the same.

We're supposed to overcome our bodies' desire to have sex, except when it's appropriate. Masturbation only feeds this animal urge that lies deep within your body.

It'd be easy if we could just simply touch, because our bodies urge us to do it. But, I think that abstaining from masturbation is part of letting go of the things of this earth.

If you can let go of worldly things, or at least desire them less, then it can make it easier for you to transition into the Kingdom of God.

And this is something the requires grace and some form of sublimation imo. We are dealing with energy and energy needs a channel. For instance sublimating that energy into ministry. We pass it over to the works of the Lord and in this way also live more in the other world, The Kingdom.

Upvote 0

religious&reasonable

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Feb 16, 2011
✟8,589.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oral sex isn't in the bible and it's very old and common.
The same goes for mutual masturbation and a bunch of other stuff.

Does this mean they aren't ever sinful?
We shouldn't play lawyer with the bible, looking for loop-holes.

I agree with this post.

I guess it falls into the area of not following bodily urges.

Upvote 0

strelok0017

_______
Sep 23, 2011
✟13,640.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I frequently engage in the act. I also have casual consensual sex. I also read the bible and, love with all my heart, and help others whenever or wherever I can.

I don't see anything wrong with either.

Are you sure?
The Bible forbids fornication and lust outside marriage is nothing but a burning fire of hell. :(

You should repent of that. Jesus condemned such behavior with harsh words.

God bless you!

Upvote 0

AndrewZinc

Oct 1, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
✟15,526.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I frequently engage in the act. I also have casual consensual sex. I also read the bible and, love with all my heart, and help others whenever or wherever I can.

I don't see anything wrong with either.

I'm sorry but whom are you loving with all your heart?

As Christians, we are not perfect but should try not to sin. God loves us and so it hurts Him when we sin. So if you love God, you should probably try a bit harder to do what He says, which is always best for us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Somber

꧁✿❁❀❁✿꧂
Oct 23, 2011
The Fairy Ring
✟101,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Are you sure?
The Bible forbids fornication and lust outside marriage is nothing but a burning fire of hell. :(

You should repent of that. Jesus condemned such behavior with harsh words.

God bless you!

I'm sorry but whom are you loving with all your heart?

As Christians, we are not perfect but should try not to sin. God loves us and so it hurts Him when we sin. So if you love God, you should probably try a bit harder to do what He says, which is always best for us.

I agree with both of you.

I really don't like to get into these type of conversations, but I just thought I'd post my opinion quick then be gone.
Jesus does not desire us to be in bondage to anything wrong. We must love God with all our heart soul mind and strength and our neighbor as ourself. Because on those two commands hang all the law and the prophets. Fornication isn't taken lightly in scripture. Paul warned repeatedly to flee lust and fornication. In Christ Jesus we can overcome anything that is wrong. We are to follow Jesus' example here on earth, and Jesus was not here to please himself.

John 17:15-21
15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil. 16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.
19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.
20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

strelok0017

_______
Sep 23, 2011
✟13,640.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I agree with both of you.

I really don't like to get into these type of conversations, but I just thought I'd post my opinion quick then be gone.
Jesus does not desire us to be in bondage to anything wrong. We must love God with all our heart soul mind and strength and our neighbor as ourself. Because on those two commands hang all the law and the prophets. Fornication isn't taken lightly in scripture. Paul warned repeatedly to flee lust and fornication. In Christ Jesus we can overcome anything that is wrong. We are to follow Jesus' example here on earth, and Jesus was not here to please himself.

John 17:15-21
15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil. 16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.
19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.
20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

:amen:

Fleeing sexual immorality is the only option. Jesus is not partial.

Reactions: Somber
Upvote 0

FromTheDarknessToTheLight

Never give up hope.
Dec 31, 2011
Montgomery, IL.
✟15,246.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I believe masturbation is okay, as long as it doesn't involve lust. When you lust, you have just committed adultery in "your eye" according to what Jesus said in the Beatitudes, in the book of Matthew. This is something I really struggle with. I've had an extremely perverted mindset until I found Christ. I still struggle with it. I don't give in to doing the "act" though as tempting as it is. I have a hard time even looking at a beautiful woman, if I do I'm trying really hard to fight off perverted thoughts. Such is the punishment I guess for a life of sexual perversion. I feel bad when I give look at a beautiful woman and then those thoughts hit me, sometimes I can fight them off, other times I can't. Anyways, yes, please believe me that masturbation is a sin when you lust. I'm not even sure if it's right to be doing it when you do not lust.

Upvote 0