Mary Ann Glendon, former U.S. Ambassador to the Holy See, recalls the remarkable relationship between Pope Benedict XVI and the United States...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Harvard Law School professor Mary Ann Glendon served as U.S. ambassador to the Holy See during the final year of President Bush’s second term in office. In the following conversation with Our Sunday Visitor, the ambassador shares her fond memories of Pope Benedict XVI’s historic 2008 visit to the United States and reflects on the pope’s warm relationship with President Bush. Ambassador Glendon offers insight into the late pope’s resignation, discusses Pope Benedict’s view of women leaders in the Church, sheds light on the controversial Regensburg address, and considers Pope Benedict’s legacy.

Our Sunday Visitor: What was your reaction to the invitation to serve as the U.S. ambassador to the Holy See? What was that moment like when you entered the role?

Mary Ann Glendon: Well, I can tell you that I did not expect getting a phone call from the White House that summer asking me if I would like to be the ambassador. Reflecting now, I think what I should have said was, “Well, I’ll have to think about it. I’ll have to discuss it with my husband.” But I said, “Yes, I’d very much like that.” For one thing I knew my husband would be just as happy as I was, and for another, you know I’m an academic, but like many other faculties, Harvard Law School really likes to see its professors in public service. I had served on governmental commissions before, and I thought it was a good thing to do for the Church and for my country and for my students.

The call came completely out of the blue. I had absolutely no inkling. I had of course served President Bush in other capacities and along with Father [Richard John] Neuhaus and George Weigel, I had met with him from time to time.

Visit to the U.S.​

Continued below.