The Friendship of Pope John Paul II and President Reagan — Plus More Commanders-in-Chief’s Catholic Connections

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did you know a U.S. president arranged a Catholic wedding at the White House?

Editor’s Note: This post is adapted from 150 People, Places and Things You Never Knew Were Catholic (Our Sunday Visitor).

Everyone knows John F. Kennedy was the first Catholic U.S. president. He overcame a long history of anti-Catholicism in America and won at the polls despite cries of alarm that he would take “orders from the Pope.”

Yet Catholics have been connected to the White House throughout U.S. history. Multiple presidents, cognizant that they served all Americans, notwithstanding their religious affiliation, forged personal connections with Catholics that went beyond mere political considerations and revealed an underlying respect and appreciation for Catholicism.

John Adams, the second president, came from an old line of austere Congregationalist New Englanders. Yet his presidency enlarged his religious sympathies. After he left office in 1801, he wrote, “Ask me not whether I am Catholic, or Protestant, Calvinist or Arminian. As far as they are Christians, I wish to be a fellow disciple with them all.”

A staunch deist, Thomas Jefferson was initially accommodating to Catholicism — but only to a point. Before becoming president, he served as a diplomat in France and enrolled his beloved daughter, Martha, in a convent school. Ignoring the shrill criticisms of Protestants in America, he believed a Catholic education was best for her.

Continued below.

Reactions: RileyG

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,239,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Did you know a U.S. president arranged a Catholic wedding at the White House?

Editor’s Note: This post is adapted from 150 People, Places and Things You Never Knew Were Catholic (Our Sunday Visitor).

Everyone knows John F. Kennedy was the first Catholic U.S. president. He overcame a long history of anti-Catholicism in America and won at the polls despite cries of alarm that he would take “orders from the Pope.”

Yet Catholics have been connected to the White House throughout U.S. history. Multiple presidents, cognizant that they served all Americans, notwithstanding their religious affiliation, forged personal connections with Catholics that went beyond mere political considerations and revealed an underlying respect and appreciation for Catholicism.

John Adams, the second president, came from an old line of austere Congregationalist New Englanders. Yet his presidency enlarged his religious sympathies. After he left office in 1801, he wrote, “Ask me not whether I am Catholic, or Protestant, Calvinist or Arminian. As far as they are Christians, I wish to be a fellow disciple with them all.”

A staunch deist, Thomas Jefferson was initially accommodating to Catholicism — but only to a point. Before becoming president, he served as a diplomat in France and enrolled his beloved daughter, Martha, in a convent school. Ignoring the shrill criticisms of Protestants in America, he believed a Catholic education was best for her.

Continued below.
Good to know there was such a healthy past there.

Upvote 0