Marriage Ending After Less than 2 Years

Jrsj21152731

Aug 24, 2015
✟7,634.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My husband and I have been married for 19 months. It has been quite a hurtful experience. I would have never thought my husband would treat me so badly and be so disrespectful to me. He wasn't doing these things before we got married. Once we said I do, he changed. Maybe two months after we got married, my husband started staying out and not coming home. He would leave on Friday and not return until Monday morning. Of course, I would be so angry and throw a fit but it wouldn't stop. Last summer he got a job out of state and hardly talked to me. When he returned, he hardly spent any time with me and was always gone. I discovered messages from several different women. He told another woman that he loved her, wanted to make love to her and he was talking to her the entire time he was at work while ignoring me. There was another woman that actually lives in his hometown about 40 minutes away that he went to visit shortly after he returned from work. There were all types of sexual messages between the two of them. This really hurt me because he wouldn't be intimate with me but was messaging her sexual messages. He promises he never slept with her but I caught him twice, about 9 months apart, messaging her sexual messages and I don't believe it one bit that he didn't sleep with her especially when he's not coming home.

Our marriage has really suffered and it's like he takes no responsibility for this or even shows any genuine remorse. Last fall, he took a job in FL and things seemed to get a little better but they staying out and not coming home had not stopped. He will go, not answer the phone, not respond to a text or anything. I just stopped calling and texting. He quit his job in January without even discussing it with me and not having another job lined up. A very well paying job at that. So now I have been left with the finances all dependent upon my income and it has been difficult. Since January, it's been awful. He won't clean, check our kids' homework, wash clothes, fold clothes or even come to our kids sporting activities. He will go to his hometown again almost every weekend and not return home for several days. I find it so disrespectful and every time he comes home he tells me it won't happen again and it happens the very next weekend. Also, that woman lives up there and he goes on and on about how he's not seeing her. I said then why can't you answer the phone or text? He says he doesn't want to hear me fuss so he just ignores everything. This has been going on all year. One day, he didn't even pick up our kids from school because he was still up there hanging out with his friends. Our money is tight and I think it's very selfish of him to use an entire tank of gas to just hang out and drive around all weekend when I'm going to have to fill the car up again.

The day before my birthday a couple months ago, I was driving back from church with our kids. I ran over something and had a blow out while it was storming. He was of course in his hometown hanging out. I called him many times and he ignored all of my calls. I'm out in the middle of nowhere, stuck with my kids in a storm. I was furious! When he finally came home, the next day, he said he didn't know I had a blowout and that's why he didn't answer the phone. I was like how can you know anything when you don't answer the phone?! He didn't even tell me happy birthday. I know he couldn't afford to buy anything but he didn't even tell me happy birthday. He said he didn't because I was in a bad mood. I was like yea, because I was stranded for several hours the day before with our kids while you ignored me.

This was the final blow.... He left the house last month to go drinking with his friends. He came home drunk. I was asleep in the bed at first. He came into the room, poured our daughter's juice on me for no reason at all. I got up, I didn't even say anything, to go get a towel. He got angry accusing me of cheating. I went back upstairs and locked the bedroom door. He burst the door down and completely ruined the frame and just started acting crazy. Yelling, cursing at me, for things that I don't even know about. I had to call my dad and sister over there because he was acting so crazy. He left that night and I haven't allowed him to come back.

Since he's been gone, he keeps saying he wants to come back home. I won't allow him to. I told him that he's always in his hometown and can't seem to choose between being with his family or his friends, so I made the decision for him. So now he accuses me of cheating, calls me out of my name, and is just plain evil. I told him that if we even decided to work things out, we have to go to marriage counseling, he has to go to church and we have to start going out on dates again before he will be allowed to come home. He said no and that I was asking for too much.

I say all this to ask this..... How do I get over this? I'm really hurt that he can just turn everything around like it's my fault. I'm so tired of being lied to. How can I make my husband respect me? I've prayed about this but I'm so angry. And the fact that he shows no remorse and is now saying I have a boyfriend and that's why I won't allow him to come home just angers me more. I don't have a boyfriend and don't even have the time if I wanted one. I'm always at home with our children. I don't want to but I feel like divorce may be the answer. My dad says pray because only God knows what the future holds. It hurts that we haven't even been married 2 years and are headed to divorce. He said he's over it. His behavior has come as a total shock to me. i would have never thought he would be this way. I feel as though he deceived me about who he was until we got married then let his true colors show.

Reactions: 777Sloan

VanillaSunflowers

Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
If I first accept God works all things according to his will, and I as a Christian live his breath and according to his will, I don't think I can question when God tells me to leave this man.

At least that's what I counseled myself in when we parted some time ago. Me and my husband.

God's peace surround you as you follow his light. Holding you in prayer.

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
24y3vj
771062052_103637.gif

Upvote 0

Daryl Gleason

A man of God
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2016
Cali, Colombia
✟28,436.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Dear sister, you have my deepest, deepest sympathies for what you have been going through.

Biblically speaking, you have essentially caught your husband committing adultery, just from the messages you found. This does give you grounds for divorce if this is what you feel is the right thing to do and have God's peace with it. I can quote the verses if you don't already know them and need them, but I'd like to focus on your questions.

The sad truth is that you can't make your husband respect you. The only way he could have even started with the behavior you've described is if he had already lost respect for you. And as you have seen, being assertive with him, not allowing him back, and insisting on what I feel are very reasonable first steps to restoring the relationship -- all of this has not helped him to confess his sin or take responsibility for his behavior. Simply saying he is "over it" does not even remotely qualify. It seems he is in deep denial.

The situation with the children, particularly the baby, is complicated, as it means that to some degree or other he will likely have to be part of your life for quite some time, at the very least, unless other legal arrangements are made.

Speaking of your heart, I empathize greatly with the feelings of betrayal and violation (among others). I feel you've done well so far in being assertive, and I pray that you are able to continue, perhaps with the support of your pastor? He could hopefully also provide counsel as and when you need it.

I'm certainly praying for you.

In Christ,
Daryl

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
My husband and I have been married for 19 months. It has been quite a hurtful experience. I would have never thought my husband would treat me so badly and be so disrespectful to me. He wasn't doing these things before we got married. Once we said I do, he changed. Maybe two months after we got married, my husband started staying out and not coming home. He would leave on Friday and not return until Monday morning. Of course, I would be so angry and throw a fit but it wouldn't stop. Last summer he got a job out of state and hardly talked to me. When he returned, he hardly spent any time with me and was always gone. I discovered messages from several different women. He told another woman that he loved her, wanted to make love to her and he was talking to her the entire time he was at work while ignoring me. There was another woman that actually lives in his hometown about 40 minutes away that he went to visit shortly after he returned from work. There were all types of sexual messages between the two of them. This really hurt me because he wouldn't be intimate with me but was messaging her sexual messages. He promises he never slept with her but I caught him twice, about 9 months apart, messaging her sexual messages and I don't believe it one bit that he didn't sleep with her especially when he's not coming home.

Our marriage has really suffered and it's like he takes no responsibility for this or even shows any genuine remorse. Last fall, he took a job in FL and things seemed to get a little better but they staying out and not coming home had not stopped. He will go, not answer the phone, not respond to a text or anything. I just stopped calling and texting. He quit his job in January without even discussing it with me and not having another job lined up. A very well paying job at that. So now I have been left with the finances all dependent upon my income and it has been difficult. Since January, it's been awful. He won't clean, check our kids' homework, wash clothes, fold clothes or even come to our kids sporting activities. He will go to his hometown again almost every weekend and not return home for several days. I find it so disrespectful and every time he comes home he tells me it won't happen again and it happens the very next weekend. Also, that woman lives up there and he goes on and on about how he's not seeing her. I said then why can't you answer the phone or text? He says he doesn't want to hear me fuss so he just ignores everything. This has been going on all year. One day, he didn't even pick up our kids from school because he was still up there hanging out with his friends. Our money is tight and I think it's very selfish of him to use an entire tank of gas to just hang out and drive around all weekend when I'm going to have to fill the car up again.

The day before my birthday a couple months ago, I was driving back from church with our kids. I ran over something and had a blow out while it was storming. He was of course in his hometown hanging out. I called him many times and he ignored all of my calls. I'm out in the middle of nowhere, stuck with my kids in a storm. I was furious! When he finally came home, the next day, he said he didn't know I had a blowout and that's why he didn't answer the phone. I was like how can you know anything when you don't answer the phone?! He didn't even tell me happy birthday. I know he couldn't afford to buy anything but he didn't even tell me happy birthday. He said he didn't because I was in a bad mood. I was like yea, because I was stranded for several hours the day before with our kids while you ignored me.

This was the final blow.... He left the house last month to go drinking with his friends. He came home drunk. I was asleep in the bed at first. He came into the room, poured our daughter's juice on me for no reason at all. I got up, I didn't even say anything, to go get a towel. He got angry accusing me of cheating. I went back upstairs and locked the bedroom door. He burst the door down and completely ruined the frame and just started acting crazy. Yelling, cursing at me, for things that I don't even know about. I had to call my dad and sister over there because he was acting so crazy. He left that night and I haven't allowed him to come back.

Since he's been gone, he keeps saying he wants to come back home. I won't allow him to. I told him that he's always in his hometown and can't seem to choose between being with his family or his friends, so I made the decision for him. So now he accuses me of cheating, calls me out of my name, and is just plain evil. I told him that if we even decided to work things out, we have to go to marriage counseling, he has to go to church and we have to start going out on dates again before he will be allowed to come home. He said no and that I was asking for too much.

I say all this to ask this..... How do I get over this? I'm really hurt that he can just turn everything around like it's my fault. I'm so tired of being lied to. How can I make my husband respect me? I've prayed about this but I'm so angry. And the fact that he shows no remorse and is now saying I have a boyfriend and that's why I won't allow him to come home just angers me more. I don't have a boyfriend and don't even have the time if I wanted one. I'm always at home with our children. I don't want to but I feel like divorce may be the answer. My dad says pray because only God knows what the future holds. It hurts that we haven't even been married 2 years and are headed to divorce. He said he's over it. His behavior has come as a total shock to me. i would have never thought he would be this way. I feel as though he deceived me about who he was until we got married then let his true colors show.

do 5 things:
1. get a lawyer
2. get a restraining order against him
3. get the custody issues settled since this involves children from prior marriages.
4. change all the locks
5. get a separate bank account

these are not easy to do, but he's plainly showing that he has no desire to be married and asume the responsbility of a husband and father.

• Agree
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Children should not be so readily sacrificed for the relationship hurdles of their parents.

Most marriages end in divorce; 70% of these divorces are initiated by women.

If you care about your children, consider developing in who you are, before taking the path most of society would push you toward.

I'd be curious as to the reasons behind the 70%. Are they because of abuse? Adultery? Abandonment? Or just that a woman does not get along with her husband or no longer wants to get married? The question of who initiates the divorce would be better answered by what or who caused the spouse to initiate the divorce.

A clarification: I don't believe that God wants divorce - far from it, but in this fallen world, there are exceptions where separation (or in extreme cases divorce) may be in order. Even scripture discusses some of this. Before a divorce is pursued, I certainly recommend counseling. If safety is a big concern, or in cases where being together would cause more damage than benefit, separation with marriage counseling would be a good step forward. A Christian counselor would be better in evaluating her situation than any of us can here on the web.

• Agree
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Most marriages end in divorce; 70% of these divorces are initiated by women.
Holding up this situation as an example: I'd say it was the behavior of the husband that "initiated" the break down of the relationship. Papers filed would just mean a legal reflection of what reality is.

in·i·ti·ate
verb
past tense: initiated; past participle: initiated
iˈniSHēˌāt/
  1. 1.
    cause (a process or action) to begin.
    "he proposes to initiate discussions on planning procedures"
    synonyms: begin, start (off), commence; More

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

akmom

Jun 13, 2012
U.S.
✟23,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Is his daughter's mother in the picture, or does she always live with you guys?

I'm wondering if having a wife to take care of his child has given him a new-found freedom that precipitated this wayward behavior. What's the custody situation going to look like in a separation?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did he really change, or did you ignore the signs
that were there from the beginning?
Really? You are blaming HER for this mess?

Upvote 0