Marriage: Day of the week?

What day did you get/do you want to get married on?

• Monday

• Tuesday

• Wednesday

• Thursday

• Friday

• Saturday

• Sunday

Results are only viewable after voting.

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So I've been thinking a lot about this lately. I would prefer to not get married on a holiday (a national holiday, not "hug a stranger" type holidays lol) or on a close relative or friends birthday. For example, I know about 3 cfers who got married on the same day and someone else who has a b-day on that same day. I really dont want that to happen. lol Now of course realistically speaking I know things change from day to day and with my luck we will pick out a date and someone will either have a wedding, or have a child on that day lol So its not the end of the world if the wedding is shared.

Anyhow enough rambling. My question is for those married and engaged, what day of the week did you choose to get married on?

For those not married, do you have a preference on what day of the week you want your wedding on?

Why? What about holidays are they a no no to get married on in your opinion or fine?

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Saturday; because most of our guests had to travel and we wanted it to be a day where they didn't have to work all day and then come to our wedding. And they had another weekend day afterwards.
As for the exact date; we settled on that because it was the only day in that month that our venue was free; so we grabbed it. We had hoped that our wedding could be earlier in the month but we couldn't set a date until we had a venue. I think someone got huffy at us b/c their child's birthday was on that day; but you can't plan your wedding around other people. Their child wasn't on my mind when we were trying to set a date and truthfully I didn't even know their birthday was that same day. They didn't end up coming and I think still hold a grudge about it; which I think is silly.

I think holidays are fine to get married on; people are off of work. I wouldn't have a wedding on Christmas Day or Thanksgiving though unless my only guests were family.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
So I've been thinking a lot about this lately. I would prefer to not get married on a holiday (a national holiday, not "hug a stranger" type holidays lol) or on a close relative or friends birthday. For example, I know about 3 cfers who got married on the same day and someone else who has a b-day on that same day. I really dont want that to happen. lol Now of course realistically speaking I know things change from day to day and with my luck we will pick out a date and someone will either have a wedding, or have a child on that day lol So its not the end of the world if the wedding is shared.

Makes sense that you'd want to feel your wedding is the special event of that day and to not have to share it.

Anyhow enough rambling. My question is for those married and engaged, what day of the week did you choose to get married on? Why?

Well, half of the date was decided by day and half by holiday. Saturday is the most popular day to get married for a reason. Like Mina said, it's more convenient for people. And I've always kind of wanted to get married on New Year's Eve, so that I'd bring in the new year as a wife. NYE is my favorite holiday because of it representing new beginnings. New Year's Eve of 2011 just happened to fall on a Saturday.

What about holidays are they a no no to get married on in your opinion or fine?

Well, obviously I think some holidays are fine. Technically, New Year's Day is the holiday and not New Year's Eve, but New Year's Eve feels like the holiday to me. I think that Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas are days where it's maybe a little tacky and inconsiderate to get married on, but others seem fine to me....assuming the couple are Christians with mostly guests of no other religions. I wouldn't suggest getting married on any major religious holidays if the guests are of that religion.

I think someone got huffy at us b/c their child's birthday was on that day; but you can't plan your wedding around other people. Their child wasn't on my mind when we were trying to set a date and truthfully I didn't even know their birthday was that same day. They didn't end up coming and I think still hold a grudge about it; which I think is silly.

That's obnoxious. Lots of people celebrate their birthdays on alternate days (like the day before or after or whatever). And a kid's birthday happens every year. I highly doubt every year there is a wedding scheduled on that kid's birthday and making an adjustment one time is not that big of a deal. Or maybe I'm just less compassionate because birthdays weren't treated as a big deal for me and my siblings when we were kids. :sorry:

Upvote 0

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Good reasons to have it on Saturday, it does make a lot of sense to have a wedding for the reasons Mina pointed out.

Also, the only reason I would like to avoid any close relative/close friend birthdays is because they may not come. While I do know its suppose to be mine and my hubbys day, I would like to be able to share it with those most important. Now I'm not going to go and try to avoid everyone and their Momma's b-day, but I'd like to avoid a few if possible.

Of course, if we get into a circumstance with the venue like Mina said, I'm more than happy to take what we can get whether it lands on someons b-day or not.

I also agree with you, Henrietta about getting married on major holidays.

Upvote 0

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The only other holiday that I don't recommend getting married on is Valentine's Day. But that's because I just find it to be extremely cheesy and just less special since so many others are getting married then. Oh, and then you get one less official romantic day. Why do that? :D

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There was no day of the week that had any significance to me and Don. We would've been fine getting married on any of them. However, most peoples' schedules are open on the weekends, so for the sake of guests and the wedding party, a weekend day usually works best. We picked Good Friday because we had off work, it extended our weekend a little bit longer, and prices for venues are WAY lower on a weekday as compared to a weekend. The date itself (April 6th) has no significance, either. It just worked out to be a convenient date :) Being married is the important thing, not when or how you do it.

Upvote 0

Obzocky

Senior Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
Rain Land
✟33,236.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
It's interesting how opinions change. Saturdays used to be considered the unluckiest day to get married on, here at least. As the old rhyme goes...

Monday for wealth
Tuesday for health
Wednesday the best day of all
Thursday for losses
Friday for crosses
Saturday for no luck at all

If marriage is ever an option then i'm not sure the actual day would be something i'd plan, more of a "when is the venue free this month? awesome". I'm not focusing on days too much though, I know i'd lead towards a Wednesday; nothing to do with the above, i'd just prefer mid-week as if I booked a week off work it would mean Sunday, Monday, Tuesday to get everything finalised, Wednesday for the ceremony, Thursday, Friday, Saturday for it all to sink in. That and most of my family work weekends anyway, so Saturday isn't a free day but Wednesday often is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's obnoxious. Lots of people celebrate their birthdays on alternate days (like the day before or after or whatever). And a kid's birthday happens every year. I highly doubt every year there is a wedding scheduled on that kid's birthday and making an adjustment one time is not that big of a deal. Or maybe I'm just less compassionate because birthdays weren't treated as a big deal for me and my siblings when we were kids. :sorry:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks it was obnoxious. The child that was celebrating their birthday was too young to really understand that particular day was their birthday; the parents could have held it the weekend before or after and I seriously think the kid wouldn't have noticed or cared at that age. And I didn't even mind if they weren't coming b/c of the birthday; I understand not everyone can come to my wedding- no date is going to 100 % please everyone. If they could come- great! If not;I miss you but it's ok. To make an issue out of it is really strange almost bizarre. I think the mom wanted me to chase after her, "aw why don't you come? I really really want you to come". But I just didn't have time to do that; they returned their card with no checked and I didn't chase after any one ; I had too much else to do :sorry:

Upvote 0

Amber.ly

Predictably eccentric and honestly hypocritical
Mar 1, 2010
Gone- PM if you need me
✟22,486.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sunday morning. I would try and avoid any major holidays, birthdays and anniversaries in my immediate family.

If you know that there are people traveling long distance then Saturday is the most thoughtful for the sake of your guests.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CelticGrace

Legend
Sep 1, 2004
Mesquite, Texas
✟38,987.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We got married on a Thursday night. The date held no significance for us, it just happened to be right before a weekend DH was off, so he could take the least amount of vacation days possible for our honeymoon (we were excessively budget conscious lol)

I wouldn't have picked a (major) holiday to get married on (though our dating anniversary, my original planned date, is Flag Day ^_^).

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think if you are inviting many people who are local, Friday night is good... that gives them Sat to recoup before Sunday services etc.

Saturday afternoon might be really the best... unless you want the night reception. This gives people from out of town time to fly in and also fly out for Monday work.

Many years ago I flew *with* my parents up to NE for one of my nephew's wedding (had to drive them around once there)...it was the Thanksgiving holiday and worked out beautifully for all the couple's friends...and of course decor was astounding.

A draw back to holiday time is that from then on it will be combined and not special on it's own. But then, odds are it won't be accidentally forgotten either.

Upvote 0

Aino

God's own
May 16, 2009
Finland
✟37,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We actually planned getting married on christmas so we wouldn't have to invite as many people lol. :sorry: But then we decided to do it on New Years eve (I think it was a Saturday but I'm not quite sure anymore) which seemed to be ok with most - including those who needed to travel a bit longer. :) I think Christmas would have been the only holiday that would have stopped any of our guests from coming; most of our relatives aren't that christian that they would actually celebrate Easter and well, other festivals (like independence day and midsummer) aren't that important anyways.

We weren't really thinking much about our guests when we invited them, else then whether they'd make it there. It didn't even cross our minds that someone could be offended over a wedding invitation LOL... :p And if they get offended by the day we picked then it's their own problem, not ours - there's only 365 days in a year.

Upvote 0