Man's law vs God's law.

Sigmund

Jun 17, 2011
✟15,138.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
One thing which I can never understand is why some people who claim to be very religious behave in a way that is anywhere from mean to vile.

I have known people in business who seem to feel that they can do whatever they want so long as they go to confession and locally we have a monk facing charges of molesting a minor.

Now I appreciate that there are dreadful people in all walks of life and I know that these people are the minority within our churches but it seems to me that some people feel that they are answerable to God rather than their peers, is that the case and are they right to feel this way? I also know a vicar who regularly breaks what he considers minor and silly laws on the basis that he answers to a higher authority.

In the case of repeated sin or the likes of murders, rapists and pedophiles; are there circumstances in which God will not forgive?

Your views and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Biker Angel

Never coming back to this mad house
Sep 12, 2009
California
✟17,501.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One thing which I can never understand is why some people who claim to be very religious behave in a way that is anywhere from mean to vile.

I have known people in business who seem to feel that they can do whatever they want so long as they go to confession and locally we have a monk facing charges of molesting a minor.

Now I appreciate that there are dreadful people in all walks of life and I know that these people are the minority within our churches but it seems to me that some people feel that they are answerable to God rather than their peers, is that the case and are they right to feel this way? I also know a vicar who regularly breaks what he considers minor and silly laws on the basis that he answers to a higher authority.

In the case of repeated sin or the likes of murders, rapists and pedophiles; are there circumstances in which God will not forgive?

Your views and comments would be greatly appreciated.

I think God forgives everyone including murders, rapists, pedophiles and even homosexuals which you left out.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is because one can be very religious and not know God. There were people like this in the time of Christ. They were called Pharisees. They were Kings of religion to everyone except Christ. Ultimately that is why they conspired to Kill Him.

Christ was anti religion. Meaning He was against the worship and practices of mindless traditions. He forever pointed to what one had to do to obtain a relationship with God.

Again one can Go through the motions of religion and not have a relationship with God. Religion is not the goal outlined in the bible a personal relationship is. It would be like you being married, and you loved your wife with all of your being. Now with a love this great would you intentionally seek out things she did not like just so you maybe forgiven? Or would true love dictate that you walked as closely to her without intentionally trying to hurt her with your deeds?

How can someone claim to know and love God if they are looking to sin when it benefits them, and then rely on a forgiveness clause?

Now I appreciate that there are dreadful people in all walks of life and I know that these people are the minority within our churches but it seems to me that some people feel that they are answerable to God rather than their peers, is that the case and are they right to feel this way?
We are answerable to God, not only in our "freedoms" but in the things we do that might cause another to stumble in their faith. Meaning we can not do anything that may cause one young in the faith to sin.

I also know a vicar who regularly breaks what he considers minor and silly laws on the basis that he answers to a higher authority.
As you pointed out He will answer to God.

The deed is not half as important as the condition of the heart which committed those deeds. This is why you nor i can judge another by their actions.

Upvote 0

Harry3142

Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
✟20,229.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Scripture actually warns us that we are to obey those in authority:

Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgement on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. (Romans 13:1-5,NIV)

At the time that St. Paul wrote this, the authorities were part of an empire ruled by an emperor in Rome. Yet he said that we were to submit to their authority. The only exceptions to this are when the government itself has been usurped by a criminal organization, such as the Nazis; the government's leaders demand that all worship them as gods, such as Domitian; or the government has fallen into the hands of those who earnestly believe that all who do not blindly obey them are worthy of death, such as Pol Pot in Cambodia.

Upvote 0