✟3,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Western Deity said:
Inciting violence isn't OK, but what is wrong with insulting somebody?

You got me. Ask Canada.

It isn't my job to go around ensuring that I don't humiliate anybody.

Unfortunately, in some places, it is.

Upvote 0

charmtrap

Iä-R’lyeh! Cthulhu fhtagn
May 14, 2004
SF, CA
✟3,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Key Peninsula Redneck said:
Ok. That's scary on a couple levels.

First is the the accuser was not identified and did not have to face the man that he accused in open court.

Yeah, I was gonna say. I don't agree with rape shield laws either. If the accuser isn't identified neither should the accusee, or they both should be. Very bad laws.

Upvote 0

Brother Christman

Constitution Party->11.04
Jun 26, 2003
TX, USA
Visit site
✟15,914.00
Faith
Baptist
"Hate speech". There's a bright idea. No way anyone could manipulate that to suit their agenda, right?
rolleyes.gif

Oh, Canada: What have you done?

Upvote 0

Western Deity

you know how it is
Feb 22, 2004
✟5,081.00
Faith
Seeker
charmtrap said:
Yeah, I was gonna say. I don't agree with rape shield laws either. If the accuser isn't identified neither should the accusee, or they both should be. Very bad laws.

We should try to make sure both of them are not identified (ideally). If one has to be identified and other doesn't, however, it's stupid to identify the other so as to "even it out" or whatever. I also think this "right to face your accuser" idea is nonsense. These are just my opinions, though ;).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

the_malevolent_milk_man

Jul 27, 2003
Apopka, Florida
✟4,185.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
As far as personal comments go you should be free to argue with whomever you want about whatever you want, so long as you don't get to threatening. Getting up on a soapbox and saying things like "Homosexuals/Christians/Asians/Short people suck and should die!" is a completely different thing.

Upvote 0

Brother Christman

Constitution Party->11.04
Jun 26, 2003
TX, USA
Visit site
✟15,914.00
Faith
Baptist
the_malevolent_milk_man said:
As far as personal comments go you should be free to argue with whomever you want about whatever you want, so long as you don't get to threatening. Getting up on a soapbox and saying things like "Homosexuals/Christians/Asians/Short people suck and should die!" is a completely different thing.
I think we agree on this one: If I get up and quote 1 Corinthians 6:9 or you stand up and say "Christians are full of baloney", and neither of us calls for violence, the government has no business bothering either of us.

Upvote 0

the_malevolent_milk_man

Jul 27, 2003
Apopka, Florida
✟4,185.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Brother Christman said:
I think we agree on this one: If I get up and quote 1 Corinthians 6:9 or you stand up and say "Christians are full of baloney", with neither of us calling for violence, government has no business bothering us.
Yeah, that's kinda what half of our talk shows are about. Heck, even our presidential debates are only slightly more civilized than that.

Upvote 0

Sycophant

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
Mar 11, 2004
Auckland
✟13,070.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It does seem a little over-reactionary, but it's hard to know without more information - some seemingly simple statements can cause all sorts of anxiety for people. Obviously you can't always know who will react to what. The way something is said carries far more weight than the words as well.

It's a weird area of law I guess. I can't say whether I agree with this or not really, it is a case by case thing. But I do think it's good that there are avenues to address these issues, and hopefully it stays relatively sane.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sycophant

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
Mar 11, 2004
Auckland
✟13,070.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
charmtrap said:

That sort of thing is very different. Rape has an incredible emotional toll, one I can't even imagine. As it is, a huge number of rape victims refuse to come forward, many more are unwilling to testify. A victim of a crime like this should not have to fear any potential or percieved stigma in relation to their attack.

Upvote 0