Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Can you become a christian just by saying a prayer and walking forward at a crusade?

I'm asking because Im sure thats only the start of it and not even all of it. Someone I know wrote that was how she became a christian. Yet she struggles with trusting God even years later. Im just puzzled cos it was not how I was born again.

Maybe shes just having a long apprenticeship I dont know....

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
As a child my friends and I frequently attended a youth center associated with a religious organization. At one point we were all gathered in a room and asked if we accepted Jesus as our Lord and savior. We all said yes without knowing what was involved. After the prayer we had a vague feeling that we had made some kind of commitment but didn't have the slightest idea what it was. Our unchristian behaviors continued and nothing really changed for us after that although the person who had guided us through the whole solemn scenario which he ended with a prayer seemed to feel that something very significant had transpired.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can you become a christian just by saying a prayer and walking forward at a crusade?

I'm asking because Im sure thats only the start of it and not even all of it. Someone I know wrote that was how she became a christian. Yet she struggles with trusting God even years later. Im just puzzled cos it was not how I was born again.

Maybe shes just having a long apprenticeship I dont know....
Do you mind sharing how you were born again?

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
" That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. "

And then, if they will trust Jesus to do what He said He will do, save them, they will never doubt their salvation.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sure you can read my testimony..its in the testimony forum.

Well this person just seems to have issues trusting God which she shouldnt really have if shes truly born again. When i read what she wrote about how she became a christian it just seemed like she thought it was all her idea.

I know its not for me to judge but when being around her I have this gut feeling she doesnt actually have much faith even though her decision was years ago. This was like at a Billy Graham crusade thing..thats how long ago it was.

Apparently what they do at those crusades is tell everyone they a christian if they walk forward when they ask. Thats how people 'decide' but i know churches that do things like that can be quite manipulative in their gospel presentation and actually miss important things out!!

I am not saying shes not a christian but am questioning does she really know the Lord cos there are often times when she behaves completely contrary to Him. Something is missing!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
She may have confessed with her mouth, but..when Im around her I do wonder if she actually believes in her heart cos she really tests my patience and Gods by worrying a heap. Over and over. Im like dont you trust Him?
Didnt he come through last time?

Etc. some people do silly things and then try and blame God. Its then there is a check in my spirit...because she acts kind of offensive to Him.

She will want things all her own way instead of Gods way and I see it as a continued pattern in her life that shes been resistant over and over. I think maybe its because she hasnt actually surrendered or been humbled...I dont know, God seems to be on the outside but being born again means Hes on the inside you know?!

Her testimony, as I read it is she just became more aware of Him and that He helps her. But I dont see any repentance.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Seems missing essential things like forgiveness, repentance. I don't know how they present the gospel at Billy Graham as never been to one, but it might just be you fill out a card and people pray for you..and yes God has been good to her cos she now calls upon her church family everytime she needs help. But seems like shes still a child in many ways not actually mature in the faith. Which is weird cos this was over 40 years ago. And of course I didnt know her 40 years ago cos I wasnt even born.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm pretty sure at Billy Graham crusades they try to get you involved in local churches afte you do come forward and they try to individually talk to each person. They do talk about and tell them of repentance and forgiveness. If she's been involved in church for 40 years, why have they not helped admonish her to grow in her faith? She might just be a difficult person or have trouble understanding how to follow God's word. That doesn't mean she isn't a real Christian with faith.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
hmm maybe she's a seeker but been searching a rather long time and somewhat avoiding the issues in her own life.

I know for myself I wasn't actually born again or converted when a bunch of people evangelised and I started going to church back when I was 17. it was God doing the work in me and me having that peace that passes all understanding - which she seems not to have. I didn't hear the true gospel and believe with my heart till much later at age 30 plus I had deliverance. And it wasn't me deciding one day oh I must be a christian now.

I mean yes can talk with her about spiritual matters BUT often there will be times when, she will pre-empt Him. She will run ahead and then not understand that you actually need to wait and ask God first, and really trust Him. And then not see that the mess she's got herself into is actually her own making. It's not God's doing. He's been so good to her all this time though.

I mean I was a sinner I knew that and when I sin I repent (though God thankfully shows me these areas where I fall short and teaches me) but she didn't seem like she even knew that cos she's not even acknowledging when she sins. God is like a genie to her and she expects miracles. Like He's there for her on demand rather than the other way round. Is this the right way to view Him? God give us the command, we obey, we don't try and boss Him around! Or whinge and moan when things don't work out cos we didn't listen in the first place.

She attends a pentecostal church if that's any help. I once invited her to come along to mine once (was attending a baptist) but she refused. She didn't seem to think fellowship or worship was important and was a bit disappointed that she was so dismissive when she was in a crisis and we could have prayed for her there and had communion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Maybe I should just let this one go..but something is not right. I think she's in many ways trying to earn salvation when she ought to already know we cant do anything to earn it. And we need to actually listen to Him when He's telling us something not joke around about it.

I don't know what to say to her now. Its like she has chosen one path and expects God to follow her instead of going in the path He's already provided.

Upvote 0

IAMANOBODY2015

Worthy is the Lamb
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Somewhere in Washington
✟51,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Democrats
hmm maybe she's a seeker but been searching a rather long time and somewhat avoiding the issues in her own life.

I know for myself I wasn't actually born again or converted when a bunch of people evangelised and I started going to church back when I was 17. it was God doing the work in me and me having that peace that passes all understanding - which she seems not to have. I didn't hear the true gospel and believe with my heart till much later at age 30 plus I had deliverance. And it wasn't me deciding one day oh I must be a christian now.

I mean yes can talk with her about spiritual matters BUT often there will be times when, she will pre-empt Him. She will run ahead and then not understand that you actually need to wait and ask God first, and really trust Him. And then not see that the mess she's got herself into is actually her own making. It's not God's doing. He's been so good to her all this time though.

I mean I was a sinner I knew that and when I sin I repent (though God thankfully shows me these areas where I fall short and teaches me) but she didn't seem like she even knew that cos she's not even acknowledging when she sins. God is like a genie to her and she expects miracles. Like He's there for her on demand rather than the other way round. Is this the right way to view Him? God give us the command, we obey, we don't try and boss Him around! Or whinge and moan when things don't work out cos we didn't listen in the first place.

She attends a pentecostal church if that's any help. I once invited her to come along to mine once (was attending a baptist) but she refused. She didn't seem to think fellowship or worship was important and was a bit disappointed that she was so dismissive when she was in a crisis and we could have prayed for her there and had communion.

No, we don't get to boss God. That is something I need to remember in my own life.

I do hope she gets saved if she is not. I am praying for salvation myself.

Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
She may have confessed with her mouth, but..when Im around her I do wonder if she actually believes in her heart cos she really tests my patience and Gods by worrying a heap. Over and over. Im like dont you trust Him?
Didnt he come through last time?

Etc. some people do silly things and then try and blame God. Its then there is a check in my spirit...because she acts kind of offensive to Him.

She will want things all her own way instead of Gods way and I see it as a continued pattern in her life that shes been resistant over and over. I think maybe its because she hasnt actually surrendered or been humbled...I dont know, God seems to be on the outside but being born again means Hes on the inside you know?!

Her testimony, as I read it is she just became more aware of Him and that He helps her. But I dont see any repentance.

I can speak for the worrying part as I constantly worry still and I am Christian. I was brought up around a family of people who worries constantly. So, I was raised to worry. I still worry, even though God has always come through for me.

I do not believe that to be a I dictation that someone isn't a Christian.

Some Christians never stop worrying or just worry less over time. I do not believe that is an indication of someone being a Christian or not. We still humans, we still worry, even though we are told not to.

Don't worry about her worrying and only remind her as I am reminded by my girlfriend that God has never let me down.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I pray God grants her salvation I do know that God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble Its just I cant see her claiming to be saved based on respnding to an altar call at a crusade. She may have made a commitment to God but its not the same as having saving faith.

Upvote 0