1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lutherans & Lent

Discussion in 'Theologia Crucis - Lutherans' started by joyfulthanks, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joyfulthanks

joyfulthanks The long day is over. Praise the Lord!

Faith:
    Lutheran
    I'm curious - what is the Lutheran approach to Lent?

I'm not wanting to hear how any particular individual is planning to observe it (that's personal), but more how Lutherans, as a whole approach it, both theologically and in practice.

2. RedneckLutheran

RedneckLutheran I'm so confused...

Faith:
    Anglican
    I plan to do the whole fish of friday thing...don't actually believe in it, but my wife hates seafood so that pretty much the only way a get it...

I will make an appointment with the Pastor for Private Confession and absolution...

and I plan on making it through the BOC at least once in the 40 days...

3. DaRev

DaRev New Member

Faith:
    Lutheran
    Lent is a season of penitence. The worship services during Lent are more subdued to reflect the somber tone of the season. Usually, all mention of the word "Alleluia" is removed from the Divine Service, including the hymnody. The Hymn of Praise (Gloria in Excelsis) is removed from the liturgy as well.

Some folks may engage in the practice of "giving up something for Lent" as a personal act of repentance, although it is not a requirement to do so. Some may choose to do something additional during Lent, like acts of charity or some sort of service to the Church or some other personal observance. These are personal choices that are in no way mandated by the Church.

Lent is the season where we reflect upon our sinfulness, reflect on our need for repentance, and prepare our hearts for the Resurrection of our Lord.

4. porterross

porterross I miss Ronald Reagan

Faith:
    Lutheran
    I think it varies from one congregation to another. Some truly make a point of making the point of the somber season by the tone of the liturgy. At the same time, there might be an effort to be more of a family by having meals before or after mid-week services. It's funny, but the mid-week services seem to be either the height of formality or as close to casual as possible for orthodox Lutherans. I've seen it at both extremes and somewhere in between.

Of course, I prefer the ultra-traditional and formal services and an increasing tone of mourning as the season progresses, but that's just me. :) I also take advantage of the season to abstain from self-indulgent food and even fast and make the attempt to focus on Scripture and my own need to be less of a wretch.

For me, it's a time of reflection and recognition of my need for forgiveness every second of my life. It's a tough time, as it should be, but I really look forward to Easter morning, the celebratory meal and some cold, Lutheran beverages. ;)

5. Radiata

Radiata You don’t need a reason to help people.

Faith:
    Lutheran
    If you're going to do something good for yourself, don't wait until lent to do so. And since there is no way to give anything to God in the first place, giving up something in the name of God is useless.

6. Edial

Edial CF Ministry Staff Member Site Advisor Angels Team CF Ambassador

Faith:
    Lutheran
    How do I approach it theologically and in practice?

I accept good traditions. If a tradition does not contradict the Bible - I have no problem with it.
    If a tradition also glorifies God - I will try being a part of it.

I like Lent. I just like it.

This coming Wednesday I plan getting a dab of ashes on my forehead.
    I like this.

I also plan on attending each Wednesday night service (lenten service) till Easter.

Although this is supposed to be a sad season, I am not sad.
    I am serious. But this is a happy serious, not sad serious.

I like Lent. :)

Thanks, :)
    Ed

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  7. porterross

porterross I miss Ronald Reagan

Faith:
    Lutheran

Who said they give anything to or up in the name of God? Fasting intensifies focus for some people and being in the right frame of mind to attempt it is important.

8. Tofferer

Tofferer LCMS - Lutherie

Faith:
    Lutheran
    I generally fast from sundown on "Good/Black Friday" until sundown Saturday so to reflect upon the sacrifice of Christ Jesus upon the cross and his burial.

9. latebloomer

latebloomer An Autumn Lutheran Rose

Faith:
    Lutheran
    A side note for Lutheran newbies/wannabees/knowledge seekers: Don't count the Sundays as part of the 40 days of Lent. Sundays are "little Easters", as our pastor always tells us.

10. Aibrean

Aibrean Honest. Maybe too Honest.

Faith:
    Lutheran
    Late...I wish I would have known that last year :) I figured it out though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.