Central Ohio
✟18,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Being raised and spent many decades as a Methodist, I am attending and considering becoming a member of the Lutheran church. I've been so fulfilled by the change, and then this doctrine comes to my attention and has me very distressed. Can you advise?

It is being reiterated to the congregation that in Baptism one receives the Holy Spirit. I am truly having a hard time embracing that the HS isn't already within us... like at conversion. This is something I can't embrace, unless I'm understanding it incorrectly.

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟810,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do not believe that Lutherans believe the only way to receive the Holy Spirit is through Baptism. Rather, it is in our Baptism that we are baptized in water and the Spirit. The Small Catechism states about Baptism:
"It works forgiveness of sins, rescues from death and the devil, and gives eternal salvation to all who believe this, as the words and promises of God declare."
People that are not baptized can also receive Grace through hearing and reading the Word and the Holy Spirit can work in them as well. Most Lutherans also do not believe that baptism is absolutely necessary to receive salvation, after all the righteous people of the OT were saved and also had the Spirit at times.

Upvote 0

Vi

Sep 17, 2004
Central Ohio
✟18,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you.

I thought if I join this church, then I'm saying I believe what the Lutheran doctrines state.

Our Pastor (fairly new to us) has stated it as Lutheran doctrine and is teaching/reaffirming it to all of us.

I believe we receive the HS prior, or we cld not be saved. I don't like the idea of saying I uphold the Lutheran doctrines if I don't. Very upset, I am.

A friend has put off joining this church for the same reason. The Pastor told her that yes we receive the HS at Batism.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟461,726.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You receive the spirit when converting, then after that like in the bible you can get filled with the holy spirit, pay attention to what the bible says and you will see already converted people received something 'else' from the the spirit, being filled with the holy spirit.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,278,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The thing I particularly appreciate about Lutheranism is that typically its not an either/or approach to Theology but a both/and. In this case the Spirit is interacted with fallen mankind by both Word & sacrement=baptism & Eucharist.

Here’s a link that might help>http://www.ualc.org/clientimages/38787/hearinggod/hsc17-mann.pdf

If not we’ll call in the Calvary> @ViaCrucis ^_^

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟736,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'm on the same page.

I need help abt this Lutheran doctrine , tho.

It can't be something Lutherans know abt and just sweep aside, knowing it's not what they personally believe, can it?

Sigh

Scripture teaches that we receive the Holy Spirit at Baptism, Acts 2:38 attaches the promise of the Holy Spirit to Baptism, we also have Christ's word in John 3:5 concerning our new birth of "water and the Spirit", and likewise St. Paul in Titus 3:5 says the same.

Since Baptism is the ordinary Means through which a person is born anew, brought into the life of God in Christ, then generally there's no separation between informal conversion and formal conversion.

It is for this reason that we can look to our Baptism, remembering it, and say Baptizatus Sum, "I am baptized", and thus have the assurance that we belong to Jesus Christ, and that all who belong to Christ belong to God.

What this does not mean, however, is that not being baptized in and of itself means we aren't or can't be saved.

It's not a simple black and white, either/or sort of situation. We have God's word and promise, which He has attached to His Sacraments, so that by them we can be confident of His promise and our assurance in Jesus Christ. But Baptism isn't an obstacle that must be overcome, God doesn't put road blocks in the way.

Yes, if you have faith in Jesus Christ then you have have full confidence in God's grace, for yours are His promises which are for you in Jesus. Christ died for you.

So it's not if you are Baptized you have the Holy Spirit; but if you have not yet received Baptism then you haven't. It's that we can be confident that on account of our baptism that we have received the Spirit, because God has attached His word and promise to Baptism for our benefit.

As such, don't be led toward despair; that's not what we are teaching. We are instead teaching that God is good, gracious, and faithful to us because of His word, His promise, on Christ's account.

Now, truly, it is correct that if one does believe in Christ, but has not yet received Baptism, they ought to go and do so. Like the Ethiopian to St. Philip, "Look, here is water, what prevents me from being baptized?" Here is water, here is Christ, God's word and promise is found here in this precious Sacrament.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟255,147.00
Faith
Christian
Scripture teaches that we receive the Holy Spirit at Baptism, Acts 2:38 attaches the promise of the Holy Spirit to Baptism, we also have Christ's word in John 3:5 concerning our new birth of "water and the Spirit", and likewise St. Paul in Titus 3:5 says the same.

None of those 3 verses say we receive the Holy Spirit at water baptism. Baptism isn't even mentioned in two of them! As for Acts 2:38, one of the golden rules of exegesis is to interpret scripture in the light of other scriptures. The question that Peter was answering was "Brothers, what should we do?”. And he was right we should repent and we should be baptized. But his next sentence "And you will receive the Holy Spirit" is the result of only one of those actions - repenting (ie turning away from sin and turning to God in faith). Receiving the Holy Spirit is not conditional on both. We know this because there are numerous other scriptures that clearly state that we receive the Holy Spirit immediately upon exercising faith, with no mention of baptism:

Gal 3:2 "Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith?

Ephesians 1:13 " In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit"

Acts 19:2 "He [Paul] said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?”

Gal 3:14 "so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith."

Acts 10:44 " While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word."

Acts 11:17 "If then God gave the same gift to them as he gave to us when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ..."

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟683,511.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Being raised and spent many decades as a Methodist, I am attending and considering becoming a member of the Lutheran church. I've been so fulfilled by the change, and then this doctrine comes to my attention and has me very distressed. Can you advise? It is being reiterated to the congregation that in Baptism one receives the Holy Spirit.
I don't understand the problem with the idea that in Baptism one receives the Holy Spirit. Methodists, also, believe Baptism is a sacrament. This means that the grace of the Holy Spirit is communicated through Baptism.

Except for Lutherans being liturgical and Methodists non-liturgical, I really don't find huge differences in the theology.

Upvote 0

Vi

Sep 17, 2004
Central Ohio
✟18,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, the issue is (sorry if I wasn't clear) that I believe the HS is within us prior to baptism. Yet, if I want to join this church I must knowingly embrace its doctrines. It seems to state that in baptism, one receives the HS... As if THEN...

To me, it seems that receiving the HS has been rolled into Baptism because it's mentioned in the same sentence in the Bible. It also seems as tho I'm told that statements of doctrine don't really mean what they are stating exactly, that they are meant to make us feel confidence and comfort in our salvation, but are we saying I can't take the statement exactly as stated to reflect actual Lutheran beliefs? Aren't statements meant to be exact and clear and concise.

I suppose during the baptism liturgy I have glossed over the words or thought they meant that we receive (not together) the HS and Baptism, both but not one because of the other.

Not until ournew Pastor has reiterated and clarified this to us, has it become a stalling moment for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟683,511.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So, the issue is (sorry if I wasn't clear) that I believe the HS is within us prior to baptism.
Lutherans have some of the best and most biblically-solid theology anywhere. In the past months, I seriously considered becoming a Lutheran. I visited 2 Lutheran churches. I enjoyed very much the service in one of them but prefer to attend weekly in a non-liturgical church. I'd love to attend the liturgy once-a-month. I didn't join bec of the form not the content. The content is fabulous.

I've found a great summary of Lutheran beliefs regarding Baptism in the following website:

Doctrine - Frequently Asked Questions - The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod

"Lutherans believe that the Bible teaches that a person is saved by God’s grace alone through faith in Jesus Christ alone. The Bible tells us that such 'faith comes by hearing' (Rom. 10:17)."

"Lutherans do not believe that only those baptized as infants receive faith. Faith can also be created in a person's heart by the power of the Holy Spirit working through God's (written or spoken) Word."

"The LCMS does not believe that Baptism is ABSOLUTELY necessary for salvation. All true believers in the Old Testament era were saved without baptism. Mark 16:16 implies that it is not the absence of Baptism that condemns a person but the absence of faith, and there are clearly other ways of coming to faith by the power of the Holy Spirit (reading or hearing the Word of God)."

Still, what your pastor said is true, "in Baptism one receives the Holy Spirit."

If you object to that statement, you may want to talk to the pastor. You may choose to join a non-sacramental / Anabaptist church, instead. I don't recommend this.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟736,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
So, the issue is (sorry if I wasn't clear) that I believe the HS is within us prior to baptism. Yet, if I want to join this church I must knowingly embrace its doctrines. It seems to state that in baptism, one receives the HS... As if THEN...

To me, it seems that receiving the HS has been rolled into Baptism because it's mentioned in the same sentence in the Bible. It also seems as tho I'm told that statements of doctrine don't really mean what they are stating exactly, that they are meant to make us feel confidence and comfort in our salvation, but are we saying I can't take the statement exactly as stated to reflect actual Lutheran beliefs? Aren't statements meant to be exact and clear and concise.

I suppose during the baptism liturgy I have glossed over the words or thought they meant that we receive (not together) the HS and Baptism, both but not one because of the other.

Not until ournew Pastor has reiterated and clarified this to us, has it become a stalling moment for me.

There are certain matters which Lutherans simply accept are left up to God, and so we don't like to say "Something is this way, but never this way" unless there's a really good reason to do so. Which is why Lutherans will make a distinction between God's Ordered Means and God's Absolute Ability.

Martin Luther himself gives the example of Daniel's three companions in the fiery furnace as an example of this distinction. We know, from empirical evidence, that fire burns. It's what fire does, it's how fire operates in the natural world, and this is by God's ordered design. If I stick my hand into an open flame, I will get burned. And yet we have this story in which the Babylonians punish Daniel's companions for refusing to bow down to the image of Nebuchadnezzar by having them thrown into a furnace to be burned alive--and not only does the fire not burn them to death, it doesn't harm them at all, in fact they remain completely unsinged. Because by God's absolute power He chose, in that circumstance, to prevent the flames from harming them, in order to accomplish His purposes.

That God prevented the fire from harming His servants through His absolute power does not negate the ordinary, ordered means of fire--that fire burns. That Daniel's companions weren't burned does not mean that if I stick my hand in a fire I won't get burned (because I will).

So we have the ordinary and the extraordinary. We have what God has ordered as the ordinary, how things are ordered by His design; and we have God's absolute power which He may choose by His own prerogative as the Almighty Lord over all things.

Other examples would be that venomous snakes are, well, venomous--and yet when St. Paul crashed onto Malta and was bit by a venomous snake he was completely unharmed. This doesn't mean that I should go around picking up vipers, rattlesnakes, and asps--that's stupid. But yet God in this particular instance circumscribed the ordinary.

When we speak of God's ordered means, namely that God works through His Word and Sacraments, we are not placing some sort of limit upon God, but that God has ordered these for His particular purpose. Christ commissioned His Church to preach the word, and through the word we are given faith (Romans 10:17), likewise Christ commissioned His Church to go and baptize, attaching the promise of new birth to it (John 3:5), we see in the Scriptures these promises attached to Baptism: that by it we receive the Holy Spirit, have our sins forgiven, are united to Jesus Christ and His death, burial, and resurrection, etc. These promises have been attached to Baptism, meaning that all these things are most certainly true and the one who is baptized can be confident in God's promises here.

God has promised that our sins are forgiven, so we can say our sins are forgiven--because God said so.

This is the Ordered Means.

However, this does not mean that somehow God is limited. We can see, for example, the thief on the cross to whom Jesus said, "Today you will be with Me in Paradise." What did the thief do to earn this? Well, nothing. But Christ--God--gave His word to the thief, saying, "You will be with Me". We don't, on this basis, say that every criminal on death row is saved; we say that in this particular instance Christ spoke this word to this individual. What we can say, however, is that the same saving word which Christ proclaimed to the thief, is the selfsame word we have received in the preaching of the Gospel and in the administration of the Sacraments. So that it is truly Christ Himself who says to us, "That where I am, you will be also." (John 14:3)

We can be confident that we have received this, not on account of anything we have said or done, but on account of what God has said and Christ has done.

So what about those who have never heard the Gospel and received Baptism? The millions of people who have never heard the name of Christ throughout the ages? Do we therefore say they are hopelessly condemned? No, we say God knows, and that the God of mercy and justice who saves us because of His great love for us is the same God toward them. And so we don't speak as though we could know--but rather leave such matters in the hands of our most gracious and kind God, of whom it is written that He is "the Savior of all men, especially of those who believe" (1 Timothy 4:10).

It's not about who is "in" and who is "out"; it's about faithfully preaching the good news of Jesus Christ. Christ is our Savior; it's not about the things we do, say, think, or feel. It's about what Christ has done for us, and God's loving-kindness toward us and the whole world. Christ has accomplished the work, it is done and finished, and now this word goes forth, a word that we should proclaim boldly and without shame for "it is the power of God to save all who believe, the Jew first and also the Gentile; for by it the justice of God is revealed from faith to faith, as it is written, 'The just shall live by faith.'" (Romans 1:16-17)

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: Concord1968
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟200,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Being raised and spent many decades as a Methodist, I am attending and considering becoming a member of the Lutheran church. I've been so fulfilled by the change, and then this doctrine comes to my attention and has me very distressed. Can you advise?

It is being reiterated to the congregation that in Baptism one receives the Holy Spirit. I am truly having a hard time embracing that the HS isn't already within us... like at conversion. This is something I can't embrace, unless I'm understanding it incorrectly.

It is really a question of emphasis:

From a Lutheran Website:

"
How does the Holy Spirit dwell in us?

The Holy Spirit dwells in Christians through the saving faith he created in their hearts by the gospel. When God brings people to faith, he does so through his Holy Spirit, “whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior” (Titus 3:6).

Twice in his first letter to the Corinthians the apostle Paul asked a question that reminds Christians that the Holy Spirit lives in them. “Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst?” (1 Corinthians 3:16) “Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?” (1 Corinthians 6:19)

The same apostle reminds us that the indwelling of the Holy Spirit signifies God’s ownership of us: “And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory” (Ephesians 1:13-14).

Here are a few other passages that speak of the Holy Spirit dwelling in Christians: “Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come” (2 Corinthians 1:21-22). “Because you are his sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, ‘Abba, Father’” (Galatians 4:6). “And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit” (Ephesians 2:22). “The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us” (1 John 3:24)."
Indwelling of the Holy Spirit – WELS

"

We will not find a passage in the Bible that states specifically and succinctly: “Baptism creates faith.” We know that baptism is a faith-working act on God’s part by looking at several Bible passages and seeing how they relate to baptism.

The Bible explains that people enjoy the forgiveness of sins and eternal life by God’s grace through faith in Jesus Christ his Son (Ephesians 2:8; Romans 3:28). The Bible states that baptism gives people those very blessings of life and forgiveness (Acts 2:38; 22:16; Ephesians 5:26; Titus 3:5-7; 1 Peter 3:21). Baptism gives those blessings because of the powerful word of God that is attached to the water.

Since the Bible teaches that we enjoy salvation only through faith in Christ, and since the Bible teaches that baptism saves us and washes away our sins, we can rightfully say that baptism creates the faith that connects us to Jesus and brings into our lives all the blessings he won by his holy life, sacrificial death and glorious resurrection.

We have every reason to grow in our appreciation for baptism by which we are clothed in Jesus’ robe of righteousness (Galatians 3:27)."
Baptism creating faith – WELS

It appears their position is often confused with Baptismal Regeneration.

I suggest you set down with someone trained in Theology of their group.

God Bless,
Daniel

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2016
Canada
✟16,947.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
We cannot be drawn to JESUS without the Spirit in us.
JESUS told us that His Words are Spirit and they are life. JESUS is called the Bread from heaven.
When the anointed Word is Spoken it is a SEED that plants within our heart. It produces after it's own kind. It is actually God in us because the Spirit is God. This is how we are we are born of God. It is referred to as Born of the Spirit and Born of the Word.
The Apostles(except Paul) were born of the Spirit(Word) before Pentecost.
But they were baptized in the Spirit at Pentecost.
Born of the Word(Spirit) makes us saved and a child of God.
Baptized in the Spirit gives us the Power to overcome satan and defeat his kingdom of darkness.
JESUS did no miracles before being baptized. He was certainly saved and THE Child of GOD. But when the Holy Spirit fell on Him when Baptized He was tested in the wilderness then went to confront and defeat satan's kingdom.
It says JESUS went into the wilderness full of the Spirit and came out in the POWER of the Spirit.
He then stood up in the Temple and Luke 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
So being Born of the Word and Filled with the Spirit are two different experiences.
They get mixed up at times.
Acts 2:38-39 was spoken to those who had heard the anointed Word and it brought forth faith to be baptized in JESUS name. And because Peter's message was that "God would pour His Spirit(meaning the baptism of the Spirit) on ALL flesh, Peter was telling them that they could have the Power of the Holy Spirit in their lives also.
And Baptism does not remit sins. "Calling on the Name of the LORD(JESUS) does. Baptism was the public ceremony to Call on the Name of the LORD. Acts 2:21 This was Peter's message at Penetecost.
Acts 22:16 Paul used Baptism to Call on the Name of the LORD JESUS to wash his sins away.
Paul taught Calling on the name of the LORD as the way of salvation in Romans 10:9-13
Calling on the Name of the started in Genesis 4:26 as the way of salvation and has never changed.

• Friendly
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0