Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
great, I was thinking of adding some . I think it would greatly help my mental health to have some
It definitely helps me dive into prayer. I have candles and burn incense as well. The Liturgy is a good place to start in the Lutheran Service Book but honestly, just sitting in front of the icons and taking time to think about holy things is a blessing.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I usually start by lighting the candles and incense, making the sign of the cross, reciting the Nicean Creed and praying the Our Father with hands in orans position. I kneel and pray a prayer of repentance and confession. I read scripture or prayers from my prayer books. I extinguish the candles and let the incense burn while I sit in silence.

Reactions: Radicchio
Upvote 0

Jacque_Pierre22

Aug 13, 2014
nyc
✟47,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I do, don’t see why not
some Reformed say it's idolatry, but I was raised Lutheran but my family is all reformed baptist so I would have to probably hide it or something; do the gold foil icons reflect light at night or glow in the dark?

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
some Reformed say it's idolatry, but I was raised Lutheran but my family is all reformed baptist so I would have to probably hide it or something; do the gold foil icons reflect light at night or glow in the dark?
I came from a Baptist and Reformed background. If you check out the Semper Reformanda forum you'll see I held to confessionally Reformed orthodoxy according to the London Baptist Confession of Faith for many years. Sometimes tightly, other times a little more loosely but I hoovered around the confessions. After many years of struggling with the historical and biblical inconsistencies, and after reading the Book of Concord, I made the move to Lutheranism this year.

The gold icons look beautiful with candle light but do not glow.

If your family would struggle over the issue of icons maybe use a simple cross instead. I've seen empty crosses in Reformed and Baptist churches though not in the "auditorium" or worship hall. That might be a way to encourage your own personal devotions and worship without offending family. The other option is to just ask them if they would be bothered by you praying with images.

Either way, God is not contained in images, they are useful but do not get stuck on them.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
They sure do. This is a picture of my Orthodox church just after the first few candles are lit on the start of the Paschal service. There several hundred thousand stones that make up the icon in the sanctuary.

1683822160638.png

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
They sure do. This is a picture of my Orthodox church just after the first few candles are lit on the start of the Paschal service. There several hundred thousand stones that make up the icon in the sanctuary.

View attachment 330996
Glowing in the dark and glittering from candle light are two different things.

Upvote 0

Jacque_Pierre22

Aug 13, 2014
nyc
✟47,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was reading about it and of course it's uber complicated getting into Semiotics, and a chicken-egg problem that our minds are always forming images of things which can be technically "idols" so why not fill the mind with images of Christ? This reminds me of the difference between Zen meditation vs Tibetan where in Zen they meditate to a blank empty wall while Tibetans have tons of imagery to act as visual cues for the meditators; It's interesting stuff, although I think representing the entire Trinity or God the Father is maybe not a good idea.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't have gold foil ones. I have our lady of Vladimir icon and and a small Jesus Crucifixion icon both I've had several years. I also have a rosary that glows in the dark(not so much now) I got from a Christian bookstore years and years ago(about 30) and a San Damiano crucifix, I also got online. My Lutheran pastor has been over a few times and has seen the icons and the San Damiano crucifix and has never said a word. He hasn't seen the rosary though, it hangs in my bedroom.(he might question that,lol.) There was a crucifix in my childrens Lutheran school, though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jacque_Pierre22

Aug 13, 2014
nyc
✟47,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0