TheOriginalWhitehorse

Sep 1, 2003
Visit site
✟18,532.00
Faith
Calvinist
I recently saw a car with a wolf sticker on the back. I do think God created an especially aesthetic and dignified creature in the wolf, so I was drawn to the sticker which then read, "Love wins."

That got me to thinking of the times when love has indeed made tender hearts that were once hard.

Yet some will always remain hardened in their hearts because of God's sovereign choice. Hence:

Luke 13:

23 Then one said to Him, "Lord, are there few who are saved?" And He said to them, 24 "Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I say to you, will seek to enter and will not be able. 25 When once the Master of the house has risen up and shut the door, and you begin to stand outside and knock at the door, saying, 'Lord, Lord, open for us,' and He will answer and say to you, 'I do not know you, where you are from,' 26 then you will begin to say, 'We ate and drank in Your presence, and You taught in our streets.' 27 But He will say, 'I tell you I do not know you, where you are from. Depart from Me, all you workers of iniquity.'

And then we have Elijah, who despite God's great shows of power, felt concerned and disheartened that Jezebel didn't heed God's message. But God sent terrible displays of power for Elijah to witness, yet He wasn't in the earthquake, etc [I Kings 19]. Then Elijah heard a whisper. This demonstrated that it wasn't God's intent to save those people through those powerful acts.

Now, I had heard once in a sermon that unbelievers hear when we whisper, but not when we proclaim boldly, but there are four problems with this view:

1. It was the Lord who sent the fire from heaven, not man, so this view would judge His own means and methods
2. God only whispered to His own servant Elijah, not Jezebel, Ahab or the people
3. It doesn't take into account God's sovereignty:

I Kings 19:18:

Yet I have reserved seven thousand in Israel, all whose knees have not bowed to Baal, and every mouth that has not kissed him."

4. It fails to take into account the Lord's judgment as revealed in verse 17. This judgment was predicted in conjunction with God's sovereignty.

Sometimes the tendency is to only preach mercy but gloss over the wrath, or to preach all wrath but no mercy or grace for the seeking. Both are distortions of reality. Yet it is so very, very hard to do everything you can to love the lost and see their hearts grow even more leatherlike than they were before. It's a hard job teaching the other side of scripture. Both wrath and mercy are part of the program.

Yet love does win: God's love for His own and the true Christians' love for Him and each other. This is the love that conquers evil. But how can a loving heart bear the thought of people making decisions to reject love and mercy? Some people you just can't love into Christ. You can nurture them, give them all the teaching they request, spend time giving them every opportunity, and still they scorn and despise the sacrifice of time and concern. They make their own decisions, and no one makes those decisions for them.

Please share your insights and thoughts on the matter.

heartnsoul

Don't settle for less than God's best!
Nov 3, 2004
in the palm of God's hand
✟11,936.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Whitehorse said:
Yet love does win: God's love for His own and the true Christians' love for Him and each other. This is the love that conquers evil. But how can a loving heart bear the thought of people making decisions to reject love and mercy? Some people you just can't love into Christ. You can nurture them, give them all the teaching they request, spend time giving them every opportunity, and still they scorn and despise the sacrifice of time and concern. They make their own decisions, and no one makes those decisions for them.

Please share your insights and thoughts on the matter.
Whitehorse, thank you for sharing your thoughts. That bumper sticker you saw that says "Love wins" is a very powerful statement. As Christians, if we have the wisdom that the unbelievers will suffer their own consequences someday (if not already now), then how much more do we need to show them compassion, mercy and love? :cry: Those of us who have tried to do it on our own, got humbled, fell to our knees and found the beauty and power of our loving God, don't we already know and feel the depth of pain of those who do not know God? The "lost" serves as a constant reminder to us all that their lives are so meaningless without the love and power of God. If we stop and think about how we finally came to truly know God, wasn't it precisely LOVE that won us over? For me, the answer is "yes". It was God who showed His merciful and passionate love for me at my lowest moment in life. He showered me with blessings and angels to let me know He is with me, loves me and will never leave me.

For that reason alone, I have the commitment to love God with all of my heart and choose to love others for He has loved me first. Once we have walked with God for a long while, it is sometimes easy to forget how our relationship first began. It began by the bumper sticker you saw...LOVE WINS. May our lives be filled with God's love for Him and for each other. God bless you. :angel:

Upvote 0

angelwind

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2004
So. California
Visit site
✟97,335.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
I hope I can share this in a way that makes sense to people. But, when I first belived on Jesus...It was just that...I saw something about Him...God quickened the Truth about Him to me and I "believed". It was a form of repentance, because I was not beliveing in Him before that.

Now...after years of learning about Him...learning to know Him as Lord as well as Savior...I have also learned "something" about free will. I did not know I was using my will most of the time :doh:...I was choosing the Lord it seemed to me.

This year...during some very dark days for me I came to this sort of empty place and could see clearly myself making a choice...using my "free will"...to continue to follow Him and cling to Him.

I was so blessed afterwards...that sense of "freedom to choose"...it made me love Him even more...His wisdom in this gift of free will just shone so brightly in my heart. My "choices" mean so much more, if they are truly "my" choices.

So it is with those who do not choose Him...I do believe He grieves over them...He wept over Jerusalem just before the cross.

And, I am so thankful and glad I chose Him again...recently, at a critical time and place for "me". He comes alongside and strengthens that choice...just as Jesus was strengthened in the garden, strengthened to lay down His own will...strengthened to honor His Father's will even unto death.

Upvote 0

LegomasterJC

Sep 9, 2004
Tallahassee Florida
Visit site
✟8,621.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We are to proclame boldly to the unbelieving but with Love. Always with Love. Not a message of condemnation and such things as "You'll go to hell if you do not do this" etc.
but you are right. God did whisper to the believer and thunder at the unbelieving... However... Did the unbelieving understand the words within the thunder? hm...
Mostly other nations came to know the Hebrew God was God by the repeated times and ways He saved them.

Upvote 0

TheOriginalWhitehorse

Sep 1, 2003
Visit site
✟18,532.00
Faith
Calvinist
Thank you all for your replies and insights-it's a delight to read them.

LegomasterJC said:
We are to proclame boldly to the unbelieving but with Love. Always with Love. Not a message of condemnation and such things as "You'll go to hell if you do not do this" etc.
but you are right. God did whisper to the believer and thunder at the unbelieving... However... Did the unbelieving understand the words within the thunder? hm...
Mostly other nations came to know the Hebrew God was God by the repeated times and ways He saved them.

I think you hit the nail on the head: they weren't transformed by God's show of power as He reserved only the 7,000 that didn't bow the knee to Baal. He simply wanted them to know that He is indeed God. I've seen some of my worst enemies become very, very dear to me through love, and I've seen others I've positively pampered become even more leathery than before despite a pretense of friendship, and I know it's God's sovereign choice. I know that. But...it's sad. It's impossible to reject mercy and then claim that hell is unfair. There's a holy fear, which is a positive delight, but then there's a slavish, worldly sort. The one drives people to the Lord where they taste His love in this comfortable but profoundly respectful fear, then the other drives people away from the Lord despite promises of pardon if His commands are combined with faith-not that our works ever save us at all, but they are merely an expression that faith is genuine. And there's a promise that even faith the size of a mustard seed will grow into a huge tree. So there's no reason to turn away from God, except an inherent determination not to acknowledge God as God and to live according to personal wishes, which never did any of them any favors anyhow.

It's sad that some can receive love with such malice, and it's hard to accept that some people will never change and they don't care what it costs them. And that is a shame. And here those of us who are Christians are in the middle: on the one hand we're created beings and therefore wish grace for our enemies, understanding the profound impact of this essential element, yet we are also the Lord's people with His spirit living in us and therefore side completely with His divine decrees.

Upvote 0