Jun 7, 2005
Wyoming
Visit site
✟9,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
im not real sure where to put this question...

The Bible encourages men to love their wives and wives to respect their husbands? It even seems from discussions I have heard, God has hard wired those two needs into us...women long to be loved and men seem to need to be respected?

What exactly is respect? How do we show it?
For the men out there, what is it about the women in your life that is evidence to you that you are respected?

enelya_taralom

Catch the wave.....
Aug 2, 2004
✟10,398.00
Faith
Christian
Dunno if this is what you were looking for exactly, but here are some snipbits from the Theology of the Body study that examines that verse and applies it in a sexual context:

Theology of the Body: Talk 5: The Two Become "One Flesh"

Living the "Great Mystery" of Marriage

Cycle 5: Christian Marriage

1. Reverence for Christ

"Be subject to one another out of reverence for Christ. As the church is subject to Christ, so let wives also be subject on everything to their husbands. Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her" (Eph 5:21, 24-25)
  • According to this analogy, the wife is a symbol of the Church and the husband is a symbol of Christ.​
  • Christ came not to be served but to serve- to lay down His life for His Bride (see Mt 20:28).​
  • St. Paul does not justify male domination. This is the result of sin (see Gen 3:16).​
  • St. Paul is seeking to restore the orginial order before sin.​
1a. Marriage "corresponds to the vocation of Christians only when it reflects the love which Christ the Bridegroom gives to the Church His Bride and which the Church.... attempts to return to Christ" (TB, 312).​

1b. Christians "must no longer live as the Gentiles do." They "are darkened in their understanding... due to their hardness of heart." So put off "your old nature which... is corrupt through deceitful lusts, ... and put on the new nature, created in the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness" (Eph 4:17 - 18, 22-24).​

1c. Since the "submission of the Church to Christ... consists in experiencing His love," we can conclude that "the wife's 'submission' to her husband... signifies above all 'the experiencing of love'" (TB, 320).​

1d. "So therefore that 'reverence for Christ'... of which [St. Paul] speaks, is none other than a spiritually mature form of that mutual attraction: man's attraction to femininity and woman's attraction to masculinity" (TB, 379).​

1e. If a husband is truly to love his wife, "it is necessary to insist that intercourse must not serve merely as a means of allowing [his] climax. ... The man must take [the] difference between male and female reactions into account... so that climax may be reached [by] both... and as far as possible occur in both simultaneously." The husband must to this "not for hedonistic, but for altruistic reasons." In this case, if "we take into account the shorter and more violent curve of arousal in the man, [such] tenderness on his part in the context of martial intercourse acquires the significance of an act of virtue" (LR, 272, 275).​

4. The Language of the Body is "Prophetic" & "Liturgical"

A prophet is one who proclaims the mystery of God. The liturgy is where we offer our bodies in worship to God.​
  • But we must be careful to distinguish between true and false prophets (see TB, 365).​
  • And we must worship God "in spirit and truth" (Jn 4: 23 -24).​
  • If we can speak the truth with our bodies, we can also speak lies.​
4a. Spouses "are called explicitly to bear witness- by using correctly the 'language of the body' - to spousal and procreative love, a witness worthy of 'true prophets.' In this consists... the grandeur of [marriage] in the sacrament of the Church" (TB, 365)....​

4b. Through "the language of the body"- man and woman encounter the 'great mystery.' ... In this way conjugal life becomes in a certain sense liturgical" (TB, 380).​

For more see:​

Created and Redeemed (DVD) : [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]An Eight-Part Adult Faith Formation Program Based on Pope John Paul II’s Theology of the Body. This eight-talk presentation on the Theology of the Body offers a more thorough treatment than the Introductory Series. This series will help deepen your understanding of God's Plan for marriage and human sexuality.[/FONT]​

Book: Good News About Sex and Marriage This easy-to-read, question-and-answer book by Christopher West offers a fresh, relevant, and convincing presentation of the Church's teachings on human sexuality and marriage.​

DVD: God's Plan for a Joy Filled Marriage :
God’s Plan for a Joy-Filled Marriage is a new, supplemental marriage preparation program by renowned Catholic author and teacher Christopher West. Based on Pope John Paul II’s revolutionary Theology of the Body and the book Good News About Sex & Marriage, this program has a two-fold goal: to present a summary on God’s plan for marriage, and to offer engaged couples practical suggestions for embracing this plan in their own lives.

Reactions: handmaiden97
Upvote 0

handmaiden97

Veteran
Jun 7, 2005
Wyoming
Visit site
✟9,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
thanks for the replys, I will check out the book recomended.....

The other answer does not help me now as Im not married, and Im really lookign for the practical how is respect played out, what does it look like in everyday relationships

thanks again to each of you for replying

Upvote 0

Mirelys

Feb 6, 2005
Wyoming
Visit site
✟7,393.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't think love can exist without respect. Respect without love, yeah, because we can respect people we dislike, or don't really know, or are only friends with.
I guess to me respect is treating someone as an equal, not attempting to put them down and dealing with them fairly.

Upvote 0

enelya_taralom

Catch the wave.....
Aug 2, 2004
✟10,398.00
Faith
Christian
handmaiden97 said:
thanks for the replys, I will check out the book recomended.....

The other answer does not help me now as Im not married, and Im really lookign for the practical how is respect played out, what does it look like in everyday relationships

thanks again to each of you for replying

Hmmm..... I am not sure if this is a question we can answer for you in such "practical" detail :) I mean, we can offer things similar to what I did above where we look at one situation that will exist across the board (most married couples have sex ;) ) but as far as specifics, I think that will come depending on each individual relationship and person. Each one, whether a friendship, dating, marriage etc and each individual person will demand slightly different things.

But as for a general thing, I think what Christ says in the Sermon of the Mount about Christian behaviour applies. Also, I think that the study I posted above is an example of an underlying prinicple of respect... looking after the needs of another, even if it means "delaying" your own.

Course, the book recommendation will probably have alot more insightful things to say than I :D

Upvote 0

Alenci

To God be the glory
Sep 2, 2002
Lost in thought
Visit site
✟16,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
handmaiden97 said:
What exactly is respect? How do we show it?
For the men out there, what is it about the women in your life that is evidence to you that you are respected?

Blah, I asked almost exactly that same question eight days ago in the Courting Couples forum and hardly got any responses (though I addressed it to both genders... what makes the men feel respected, what makes the women feel loved). ;) Exact same title, too!

Oh well, rep points for you for bringing it up in this forum. :p

Upvote 0