Apr 20, 2011
✟8,158.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
*If this is the wrong place, my sincere appolgise to the mods. Please move to the appropriate location*

First off let me clarify that I do not want this to turn into a religious debate thread. I only wish to outline the struggle that lead me to first question, and then to renounce, my Christian beliefs. If any of this offends you it is not intentional, although I am not sorry about it.
I was born and raised in a Christian household. My mother was, and still is to this very day, a committed Christian woman. I spent my Sundays at church in various Sunday school programs. I was taught the basic Christian doctrines at this time and prided myself in excelling in them as well. Any question which may compromise such beliefs was met with utter hostility, and I was told it was better not to ask them at all. How dare reason stand in the way of faith. I was told these two were diametrically opposed, unless it validated religious principles. However, more on that later.
As I grew older I morphed, or shall I say evolved, into quite the little intellectual. I enjoyed reading and debating. Not to sound too conceded, but I was keener at these things compared to other people of my age. This may be derived from the fact that most of my peers were too involved with sports, skirt chasing, and the like to worry about what is look at as trivial at that age. Nevertheless, my faith never wavered. Even when my actions overtly conflicted with the “morality” of the Bible I still held fast to them and bitterly opposed any opposition. I went to church because I was forced to by my parents. I didn’t want to praise the god I still gave my unwavering allegiance too. This is America. To be godless was anti-nationalist, and would possibly even make you a communist. Can’t have that, now can we?
I graduated high school and moved to college. After two years of classes my grades were not satisfactory to say the least. I drifted from major to major not sure of what I wanted to pursue, which made me not take my classes to seriously. This was also during my hardcore wow phase; there possibly could be a correlation there to explore in another thread. Then something remarkable happened. My head knowledge of faith which was actively ideal once again morphed into an emotional one. I rediscovered my love for god. I dropped the classes I was in, and within 5 months was enrolled in a seminary type internship at the megachurch I attended.
I spent a year of my life there (also five thousand dollars I might add). Eighty to one-hundred hours a week we spent running the church operations, conferences, services, special events, and the like. However, my favorite day and the one I excelled at the most was class day. Here we learned the ins and outs of Christian doctrine. To this day I believe I can quote the Bible and defend the Christian faith better than most believers. There was one remarkable thing missing in this whole ordeal. Everything we learned was under the presumption that the Bible was the true and inerrant word of god, Jesus of Nazareth was a real person, and the stories in the both the new and old testaments were factual, historical, and scientific. I believe I now know the reason why we never covered such topics. If you proved that any of those three things were indeed false the rest would soon follow. The foundations of Christianity are akin to the old tale of humpty-dumpty. Not just in historical validity, but spirit as well. One small gust of reason and the shattering would be monumental.
I graduated the program with more questions than I had when I started. I was told by a close friend at the time, who was a devote Christian, to stop all my questioning. “You won’t reach God through logic, “ he said. “I have had friends who did the same thing and they stopped believing”. I wanted the truth. You do not stop searching just because you might not like what you do not find. The hunt continued.
I stopped studying doctrine, and instead focused my attention on the fundamentals. What is the evidence that points to the inerrancy of Scripture? What is the historical proof to point to the divinity, if even the existence, of Christ? How did the universe originate, along with the species on the Earth? I started to listen to debates and lectures by the opposing “faction”, such as: Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, and the like. What I have learned and discovered is so vast that I do not have the time nor energy to write here. I can simply say this; there is an irreconcilable difference between reality, reason, and the Bible. Even the moral teachings of the Bible are founded in immorality. We are not here because of divine creation. Our purpose in life is not given to us, but we make it ourself. Our life is not meaningless, we create our own meaning.
As I am about to head to class I will end this with a quote by Hitchens. I will gladly answer any question I am able to. Also, excuse me if this comes out a bit choppy and rant-like. I am writing down my thoughts as I have them. In no way is this supposed to convince people to challenge their beliefs, but rather detail my own journey as of late.
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Christopher Hitchens[/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']: Let's say that the consensus is that our species, being the higher primates, Homo Sapiens, has been on the planet for at least 100,000 years, maybe more. Francis Collins says maybe 100,000. Richard Dawkins thinks maybe a quarter-of-a-million. I'll take 100,000. In order to be a Christian, you have to believe that for 98,000 years, our species suffered and died, most of its children dying in childbirth, most other people having a life expectancy of about 25 years, dying of their teeth. Famine, struggle, bitterness, war, suffering, misery, all of that for 98,000 years. Heaven watches this with complete indifference. And then 2000 years ago, thinks "That's enough of that. It's time to intervene," and the best way to do this would be by condemning someone to a human sacrifice somewhere in the less literate parts of the Middle East. Don't lets appeal to the Chinese, for example, where people can read and study evidence and have a civilization. Let's go to the desert and have another revelation there. This is nonsense. It can't be believed by a thinking person. Why am I glad this is the case? To get to the point of the wrongness of Christianity, because I think the teachings of Christianity are immoral. The central one is the most immoral of all, and that is the one of vicarious redemption. You can throw your sins onto somebody else, vulgarly known as scapegoating. In fact, originating as scapegoating in the same area, the same desert. I can pay your debt if I love you. I can serve your term in prison if I love you very much. I can volunteer to do that. I can't take your sins away, because I can't abolish your responsibility, and I shouldn't offer to do so. Your responsibility has to stay with you. There's no vicarious redemption. There very probably, in fact, is no redemption at all. It's just a part of wish-thinking, and I don't think wish-thinking is good for people either. It even manages to pollute the central question, the word I just employed, the most important word of all: the word love, by making love compulsory, by saying you MUST love. You must love your neighbour as yourself, something you can't actually do. You'll always fall short, so you can always be found guilty. By saying you must love someone who you also must fear. That's to say a supreme being, an eternal father, someone of whom you must be afraid, but you must love him, too. If you fail in this duty, you're again a wretched sinner. This is not mentally or morally or intellectually healthy. And that brings me to the final objection - I'll condense it, Dr. Orlafsky - which is, this is a totalitarian system. If there was a God who could do these things and demand these things of us, and he was eternal and unchanging, we'd be living under a dictatorship from which there is no appeal, and one that can never change and one that knows our thoughts and can convict us of thought crime, and condemn us to eternal punishment for actions that we are condemned in advance to be taking. All this in the round, and I could say more, it's an excellent thing that we have absolutely no reason to believe any of it to be true

PS: To those who will say,” You were never a true Christian to begin with.” I sincerely disagree, and you have no authority by which to make that accusation. I felt the “holy spirit”. I had experiences just like every other person who believes. I knew the doctrines both in my head and heart.

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was told by a close friend at the time, who was a devote Christian, to stop all my questioning. “You won’t reach God through logic, “ he said. “I have had friends who did the same thing and they stopped believing”.

You sure proved him wrong, eh? ;)

In order to be a Christian, you have to believe that for 98,000 years, our species suffered and died, most of its children dying in childbirth, most other people having a life expectancy of about 25 years, dying of their teeth. Famine, struggle, bitterness, war, suffering, misery, all of that for 98,000 years. Heaven watches this with complete indifference.

(Hitchens)

This is a strawman. You know the Bible well enough to know that it does not teach 'Heaven's indifference' at any point in time, let alone most of time.

Blindly accepting the rhetoric of anti-Christians (Hitchens has his own axe to grind; he doesn't pretend to be 'unbiased') is no more rational or logical than blindly accepting the rhetoric of Christians. Why jump out of the frying pan and into...a slightly different frying pan?

And then 2000 years ago, thinks "That's enough of that. It's time to intervene," and the best way to do this would be by condemning someone to a human sacrifice somewhere in the less literate parts of the Middle East.

(Hitchens)

Yep. That's crazy all right.

It even manages to pollute the central question, the word I just employed, the most important word of all: the word love, by making love compulsory, by saying you MUST love. You must love your neighbour as yourself, something you can't actually do. You'll always fall short, so you can always be found guilty.

(Hitchens)

Why is love 'the most important word of all'? What is love, anyway? Why 'must' we love? Surely Hitchens wouldn't say that we musn't love. Perhaps he would say that we should love, but not that we must?

If there was a God who could do these things and demand these things of us, and he was eternal and unchanging, we'd be living under a dictatorship from which there is no appeal, and one that can never change and one that knows our thoughts and can convict us of thought crime, and condemn us to eternal punishment for actions that we are condemned in advance to be taking.

True.

You seem to be a creature of the black and white. Do you see no ground at all between hardcore American fundamentalism and anti-Christian atheism?

When you were a fundamentalist, you were taught that there was no ground between these two. That a Christian who did not except doctrines x, y, and z, was at best fooling himself, and at worst a false prophet.

And most Christians on the planet do not hold to 'the presumption that the stories in the both the new and old testaments were factual, historical, and scientific'.

Now that you are free from your old creeds, it might behoove you (perhaps after a 'cooling off period') to examine what these raging heretics have to say, now that you no longer consider them raging heretics (or at least no more than you are ;)).

It is good to ask these questions. Many never do. They live in fear. Now that you can ask without fear, you may find answers that you simply couldn't see as a 'believer'.

Peace to you, friend. :)

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I find if you take an academic approach it leaves the spiritual elements under nourished . so if you do become disillusioned from the academic portion there's little to keep you rooted .

at your request . i won't say you never trusted Jesus . but it's possible what you nourished did not provide an answer and made anemic what was capable of growing within you to become that answer . that's how i learn usually . though i tend to remember a lot . so i come off as academic or scholarly to some.

Being a Christian is being born again, you receive the Holy Spirit, and live a new life from spiritual infancy until Christ is fully formed in you. and then always being with the Lord . being able to read is helpful as the bible has some encouraging stuff in there . but it's not necessary . To me it's all about God and him touching your heart . and never being the same person again.

Hope all is well with you. and remember there is no sacrament of a frontal lobotomy. ;)

Upvote 0

ThatWhichIsnt

evidence trumps all
Apr 20, 2011
✟8,158.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Faith is non-rational, not irrational.
To you what is the distinction? I see no difference between the two. Either it is logical, testable, and observable or it isn't. Placing faith outside of rationality is in my humble opinion a cop-out.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
*If this is the wrong place, my sincere appolgise to the mods. Please move to the appropriate location*

PS: To those who will say,” You were never a true Christian to begin with.” I sincerely disagree, and you have no authority by which to make that accusation. I felt the “holy spirit”. I had experiences just like every other person who believes. I knew the doctrines both in my head and heart.
Over the years on CF, I have seen many Christians deconvert to atheism or other religions.
Tho It saddens me to see you do the same, you are perhaps better off posting on other non-Christian boards for now... :wave:

http://www.christianforums.com/f272/
Outreach Forums where Christians can offer support to non-Christians. For debate please go to the Society or Theology sections of the board.

http://www.christianforums.com/f139/
Society Forums to discuss issues with society.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi thatwhichisn't,

Well, when I was 22 I had all the answers to the questions too, and they were pretty much the same ones that you have. I was also 'made' to go to 'church' as a child and I was also disillusioned and steeped in the general knowledge of the world as to the cause of all things.

At 40 I came face to face with the risen Lord and everything changed. Maybe that will be your ultimate testimony also -- or maybe not. Only God truly knows the future.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

Asvin

Legend
Aug 13, 2010
✟32,434.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you abandoned your faith because of a lack of evidence pointing to the existence/divinity of Jesus Christ. However, I would like to claim that the majority of New Testament Scholars, including critics, agree that Jesus existed, was crucified, and was buried. They also agree that the disciples had experiences of Jesus alive after his death. The best explanation for these facts is that God raised Jesus from the dead. Naturalistic explanations, such as the hallucination hypothesis or the stolen body hypothesis, fail to explain all the data.

You should really listen to professional philosophers and scholars that write about the New Testament instead of celebrities like Hitchens (RIP) and Dawkins. Their arguments are fallacious and they haven't looked into/not cared to look into the data that supports the hypothesis (God raised Jesus from the dead). A good book that I am currently reading is The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus, Gary Habermas and Mike Licona.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by Nanopants Faith is non-rational, not irrational.
To you what is the distinction? I see no difference between the two. Either it is logical, testable, and observable or it isn't.
Placing faith outside of rationality is in my humble opinion a cop-out.
It can also be dangerous to one's safety and well being.

Jhn 16:2 out of the synagogues they will put you; but an hour doth come, that every one who killeth you, may think to offer a devine-service unto God;
Faith.jpg

Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hello, ThatWhichIsnt.

I noticed the underpinnings of evolution in your argument. I think your conclusion is unsurprising if one believes we evolved upward from nonliving gunk.

But I believe your conclusion is wrong, and that there's no way we are the product of only natural forces. For example:
  • The simplest single-celled bacteria requires 371 genes and hundreds of thousands of rungs of DNA to function. This is one conclusion of the Minimal Genome Project.
  • Our own genome, rather than being filled with junk, has recently been demonstrated to be at least 80% active. This is one conclusion of the ENCODE Project Consortium.
There's more, but I believe you get the gist: it's pretty clear we've been engineered, whatever you think of our engineer's morality. And how bad is he, if all he's asking us to do is love one another as we ourselves wish to be loved?

Please keep an open mind. I've seen wanderers from the faith brought back; just don't burn your bridges in the meantime. Peace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well what I have learned in every instance is that atheists are made not born. You were obviously taught Christianity and then came to a different conclusion finding no one who could provide adequate answers to your many questions.

I came from exactly the opposite position. I was raised by a naturalist and was a bonifide agnostic. My beliefs from what I was taught and raised in was that even if there was a God what was that to me and where is the proof...but then Christ came to me and made Himself known to me...can I deny my mother who I know is real, who I love, who loves me, and who has led me? No more can I ever deny Him.

Most atheistic arguments against there being a God are weak at best. In fact to base one's philosophy on the premise that there is no God is the blindest of all faiths. One simply cannot KNOW there is no God and cannot prove there is no God...there is no evidence to support this conclusion. No experience. It cannot nor has never been demonstrated or observed to be a fact. No test has ever been done which indicates it...and so on. Philosophically there are 20 arguments that imply there is or must be a God and not one that can be used to imply or indicate there is none.

So again I say atheists are made not born...one is taught to doubt and comes to a place where they prefer to be lord of their own life (read Genesis 3).

Paul

Upvote 0
N

Nanopants

To you what is the distinction? I see no difference between the two. Either it is logical, testable, and observable or it isn't. Placing faith outside of rationality is in my humble opinion a cop-out.

Is your ability to run a rational faculty? Is it irrational, in the sense that it leads to some logical contradiction? Neither is faith.

Upvote 0

ThatWhichIsnt

evidence trumps all
Apr 20, 2011
✟8,158.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello, ThatWhichIsnt.

I noticed the underpinnings of evolution in your argument. I think your conclusion is unsurprising if one believes we evolved upward from nonliving gunk.

But I believe your conclusion is wrong, and that there's no way we are the product of only natural forces. For example:
  • The simplest single-celled bacteria requires 371 genes and hundreds of thousands of rungs of DNA to function. This is one conclusion of the Minimal Genome Project.
  • Our own genome, rather than being filled with junk, has recently been demonstrated to be at least 80% active. This is one conclusion of the ENCODE Project Consortium.
There's more, but I believe you get the gist: it's pretty clear we've been engineered, whatever you think of our engineer's morality. And how bad is he, if all he's asking us to do is love one another as we ourselves wish to be loved?

Please keep an open mind. I've seen wanderers from the faith brought back; just don't burn your bridges in the meantime. Peace.
I know there is an origins board, so I am not trying to rehash the old evolution-ID debate. You can say there is order in this universe, and there is to some degree. The universe is also chaotic to a degree that we can't even understand. Galaxies colliding with other galaxies (we actually have one headed right for us). Stars exploding constantly. Black holes pulling in countless enormous bodies of matter. Most of the observable universe is too hot or cold to sustain life. If this universe is designed the designer must have been having a really off day.

If what you said above is true then why do an overwhelming amount of scientist, the people who have devoted their lives to studying this topic, all favor evolution? Is it really a huge conspiracy to conceal that the Earth is really six thousand years old?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Harry3142

Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
✟20,229.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ThatWhichIsnt-

From what you've written I assume that the church you attended was a fundamentalist church, where the people were told that unless they believed in the creation as being a literal 6-day process, as well as The Great Flood and The Tower of Babel's being real historical events, they would be bound for hell. They were also to accept whatever their leadership told them with total subservience and submission to the will of the heirarchy. But that's not Christianity; it's exploitative theology.

True Christianity requires nothing more than your accepting that Jesus' sacrifice was the ultimate atoning sacrifice, and so those who accept it are cleansed of our sins. It doesn't imply that we will be perfect for us to acknowledge his sacrifice. Instead, it imples that we acknowledge our own imperfections. We are not to see ourselves as the Pharisee; we are to see ourselves as the publican (Luke 18:9-14).

You say that you know Scripture, so I assume that you know of Hebrew's stating that Jesus' sacrifice was the perfect sacrifice which ushered in the new covenant, thus ending the annual atoning sacrifice which had been performed previously (Hebrews 8:1-10:14). But in order to comprehend the significance of his sacrifice, we should examine the ritual involved in those imperfect sacrifices, including why each segment was performed. We find that ritual described in Leviticus 16:1-28.

In that ritual the priest chose 1 bull, 2 goats, and 1 ram. The bull was sacrificed for the sins which the priest and his family had committed during the previous year, with its blood cleansing the priest and his family of those sins. One of the goats was chosen by lot, and it was sacrificed for the sins which the community had committed during the previous year, with its blood cleansing that community of their sins.

But the second goat was kept alive. The priest placed his hands on its head, and while his hands were there he recited all of the sins which he, his family, and the community had committed during that year, thus transferring those sins from the people to the goat. Then it was driven into the wilderness, taking their sins with it. Lastly, the ram was offered as a burnt offering.

Note that the sacrifice was not intended as a means of enabling the priest, his family, or the community at large to no longer sin. Instead, the ritual was performed out of the admission that all do in fact commit sins, and those sins needed to be cleansed. It was performed for the same reason that we bathe. We don't bathe in order to keep from getting dirty; we bathe because we accept that we do get dirty, and so need cleansing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I know there is an origins board, so I am not trying to rehash the old evolution-ID debate. You can say there is order in this universe, and there is to some degree. The universe is also chaotic to a degree that we can't even understand. Galaxies colliding with other galaxies (we actually have one headed right for us). Stars exploding constantly. Black holes pulling in countless enormous bodies of matter. Most of the observable universe is too hot or cold to sustain life. If this universe is designed the designer must have been having a really off day.
You're right, there is an origins board. I'm willing to continue this train of thought for another post or two, after which I'll let off and continue there if you wish to.

Regarding chaos, Genesis 1 begins with God bringing order out of chaos. That ordered place becomes the earth.

The physical laws themselves are extremely well-ordered. So well, in fact, that atheistic philosophers have resorted to the concept of the multiverse to explain how well-ordered it is.

If what you said above is true then why do an overwhelming amount of scientist, the people who have devoted their lives to studying this topic, all favor evolution? Is it really a huge conspiracy to conceal that the Earth is really six thousand years old?
Science excludes the supernatural by definition. Science isn't evil (I have a degree in physics), but it is godless by definition because it's a study of the laws of our natural world. For example, I've done work in acoustics. There's no talk of God in the study of saxophone bores or violin bodies. Why should there be? It's a natural investigation, not a supernatural one.

But regarding life, we cannot explain ourselves by natural laws. Everyone knows it, including scientists. Even Dawkins. There is no science that can create life from non-life. The bar is far too high. The question isn't whether we were engineered, but the identify and nature of the engineer.

Upvote 0

ThatWhichIsnt

evidence trumps all
Apr 20, 2011
✟8,158.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
ThatWhichIsnt-

From what you've written I assume that the church you attended was a fundamentalist church, where the people were told that unless they believed in the creation as being a literal 6-day process, as well as The Great Flood and The Tower of Babel's being real historical events, they would be bound for hell. They were also to accept whatever their leadership told them with total subservience and submission to the will of the heirarchy. But that's not Christianity; it's exploitative theology.

True Christianity requires nothing more than your accepting that Jesus' sacrifice was the ultimate atoning sacrifice, and so those who accept it are cleansed of our sins. It doesn't imply that we will be perfect for us to acknowledge his sacrifice. Instead, it imples that we acknowledge our own imperfections. We are not to see ourselves as the Pharisee; we are to see ourselves as the publican (Luke 18:9-14).

You say that you know Scripture, so I assume that you know of Hebrew's stating that Jesus' sacrifice was the perfect sacrifice which ushered in the new covenant, thus ending the annual atoning sacrifice which had been performed previously (Hebrews 8:1-10:14). But in order to comprehend the significance of his sacrifice, we should examine the ritual involved in those imperfect sacrifices, including why each segment was performed. We find that ritual described in Leviticus 16:1-28.

In that ritual the priest chose 1 bull, 2 goats, and 1 ram. The bull was sacrificed for the sins which the priest and his family had committed during the previous year, with its blood cleansing the priest and his family of those sins. One of the goats was chosen by lot, and it was sacrificed for the sins which the community had committed during the previous year, with its blood cleansing that community of their sins.

But the second goat was kept alive. The priest placed his hands on its head, and while his hands were there he recited all of the sins which he, his family, and the community had committed during that year, thus transferring those sins from the people to the goat. Then it was driven into the wilderness, taking their sins with it. Lastly, the ram was offered as a burnt offering.

Note that the sacrifice was not intended as a means of enabling the priest, his family, or the community at large to no longer sin. Instead, the ritual was performed out of the admission that all do in fact commit sins, and those sins needed to be cleansed. It was performed for the same reason that we bathe. We don't bathe in order to keep from getting dirty; we bathe because we accept that we do get dirty, and so need cleansing.
Well I agree with your first paragraph. My belief in the bible as inerrant and accurate is gone. My belief in the actual existence of Jesus is as well, because secular evidence for it is not convincing as best. Plus the notion of vicarious redemption from a human sacrifice that absolves one of personal responsibility is rooted in immorality.

Upvote 0

Asvin

Legend
Aug 13, 2010
✟32,434.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well I agree with your first paragraph. My belief in the bible as inerrant and accurate is gone. My belief in the actual existence of Jesus is as well, because secular evidence for it is not convincing as best. Plus the notion of vicarious redemption from a human sacrifice that absolves one of personal responsibility is rooted in immorality.

Why do you think Paul, a persecutor of early Christians, and James the brother of Jesus became followers?

Upvote 0

ThatWhichIsnt

evidence trumps all
Apr 20, 2011
✟8,158.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You're right, there is an origins board. I'm willing to continue this train of thought for another post or two, after which I'll let off and continue there if you wish to.

Regarding chaos, Genesis 1 begins with God bringing order out of chaos. That ordered place becomes the earth.

The physical laws themselves are extremely well-ordered. So well, in fact, that atheistic philosophers have resorted to the concept of the multiverse to explain how well-ordered it is.

Science excludes the supernatural by definition. Science isn't evil (I have a degree in physics), but it is godless by definition because it's a study of the laws of our natural world. For example, I've done work in acoustics. There's no talk of God in the study of saxophone bores or violin bodies. Why should there be? It's a natural investigation, not a supernatural one.

But regarding life, we cannot explain ourselves by natural laws. Everyone knows it, including scientists. Even Dawkins. There is no science that can create life from non-life. The bar is far too high. The question isn't whether we were engineered, but the identify and nature of the engineer.

That is the thing. It isn't well ordered. Chaos is still present around us, we just have escaped it long enough for life to form till as it is currently. One day that will change.

As someone who has a degree in physics you should know that we are barely at the tip of the iceberg when it comes to our understanding of it. Just because we do not have an answer now does not mean it is unattainable.

Upvote 0