Mar 13, 2014
Mobile, AL
Visit site
✟16,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You have entirely misinterpreted what I wrote. Please go back and see just what it contains. The people are how they are because they either don't know any better or because they love to have it so.

Thanks Dave and Bryan. I just wanted to make sure I understood. I think I did actually. I highlighted the quote here and this was my original statement:

"because they are uneducated in the gospel," (Don't know better), "...because they are ok with that" (Love to have it so).

I think this problem can be solved by first providing the education they need so that they can know better. I would imagine this education would include the foundational principles as you stated as well as informing them how they can show their love and faith through evangelism.

Because I believe many people have failed to understand that their faith is dead if it is not at work. Too often that is what has caused many to fall away. Because we often do not understand the connection.

And I think the second way to get people into this would be by showing them how they are PERSONALLY responsible for what they do with this gift that Jesus has given. Will they hide it? Or will they do something that causes it to grow?

I think of the parable of the talents. Many may think that the servant would have done good to give what he had to the exchangers. That could be seen as the equivalent of giving to the ministry of others. But the master said that was the LEAST he could have done.

What are your thoughts on this? I enjoy hearing what you two are saying since it helps me to understand as well. Iron sharpens iron.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How many truly religious do we have who visit the fatherless and widows in their afflictions? How many go out of their way to become helpers to the helpless?

Probably not too many, but probably not too many people claiming to be Christians are saved in the first place. Straight is the gate and narrow is the way that leads to life, and few find it.

I've enjoyed reading your posts, and I am pretty much in agreement with what you've said, although I am wondering if you are saying Christians should not go to church? You seem to feel fairly negative about churches so do you think there are any good churches and what would they look like?

Upvote 0

hopeinGod

A voice crying in the wilderness
Jul 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟2,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Probably not too many, but probably not too many people claiming to be Christians are saved in the first place. Straight is the gate and narrow is the way that leads to life, and few find it.

I've enjoyed reading your posts, and I am pretty much in agreement with what you've said, although I am wondering if you are saying Christians should not go to church? You seem to feel fairly negative about churches so do you think there are any good churches and what would they look like?

I am dead set against the age old traditional church set up. Have you read any of Frank Violas books that have come out with titles like "Pagan Christianity"? Today's church does not in any way have the form of Christ's intention, but are established to provide jobs, occupations and places where money is made through handouts. In other words, ministries, which are 99% in the form of teachers and pastors, are today occupations, not true ministries.

What God has called us to are home gatherings where money has no reason to be brought up, and where building projects for such things as crystal cathedrals and $20 million aircraft purchased for "travel" and vacations are out of the question. We've gotten off the right path, and have been there for centuries.

Just how wrong can it be that folks sit for hours upon hours with their gaze to the front of the church watching one man doing all the speaking with his intent, of course, to feed his family through your offerings? With that gone, there would be only the meeting of groups with up to a dozen folks in each home meeting that gather to permit the offering of each member to the discussion and ministry of the others. Instead, today we have programs designed to entertain, with, as I call them, mosh pit worship services that play at volumes far too loud, and where folks rush to the front to stand and sway like secular concernt goers, as their emotions lead them into "experiences" with God, some call this impartation or experience consciousness. This isn't God's intent, to be tossed to the floor to laugh for hours on end. Not one bit of these sort of gatherings can be proven in Scripture.

What is happening to the extreme today is the verse that says "for God has taken the foolish things of the world to confound the wise." And so, today, it is the ridiculous that rules. The more absurd, the better, or more godlike to these believers.

Where is the real growth in this? What are these people being prepared for? Certainly not as believers are instructed in Eph. 4 to come to the point where they too are equipped for "the work of the ministry." And exactly what ministries would they be equipped to perform even if they stepped out to form one? Of course we know, the same experience dominant one they themselves have known.

First, there is no teaching in the first principles; secondly, there is a money based operation that pits one have with another have not; and thirdly, there are cliques that arise from the giving and worldly positions of a small portion of members. I know how that operates. I've been in the middle of that trap and have written about it numerous times. As a struggling college student, I could give nothing more than my ability to play the upright bass, and not at any time was I ever taken aside by any so-called father in the faith to be mentored. They didn't want anything to do with me because I was poor. Then, once I graduated college, got a good job, earned decent wages, and gave to the church, the leadership was always standing at the door to shake my hand, greet me with a hug, and ask if I would like to teach adult Sunday school. So, to my mind money has to be taken completely out of the picture and the only way for that to happen is to meet in homes where it's not needed for anything more than a few treats that someone might bring along.

Of course, at home meetings there will need to be a few who actually have opened their Bibles, who have good study habits, and were themselves well taught in the first principles. Without that, then the small group will become more like a college Bible study class; but if that is all that can be, then fine, I'd say. At least it keeps the believers away from the trappings of intense one-sided teaching and eventual extremism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

alex2165

Jan 2, 2014
✟11,292.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think that BryanW92 and HopeinGOD made a good point concerning corruption of today’s church, which is of course not new phenomena.

Short time ago someone posted thread about pastors, asking a question should pastors be paid, and response was overwhelming. I thought it is good idea to post similar subject on other forums, and the respond was also very large.

And people where sharply divided on this issue, one side of the people supported notion that pastor should be paid, and presented the verses of Paul there he said that those who work for the benefit of the Gospel deserve their wages.

But they misinterpreted the word “wages” thinking that Paul meant by word “wages” a monetary value. But actually Paul does not meant that, under word “wages” he meant support for the missionaries by all means but not putting them on the payroll.

Paul himself number of times proudly declared that he always avoided to be burden to anyone concerning support for him, and he always work with his own hands supporting not only himself but even his companions in his missionary travels, and Paul urged everyone to follow his example.

In my defense against those who where disagree with me on this point, I wrote that if a pastor or missionary receives pay, and they do not work to support themselves as Paul did, if of course they actually have chance to do so, this means that they already received their reward in monetary value, and for them then is nothing to look for, in terms of reward from GOD, because they already received their pay.

And I completely agree with Bryan and HopeinGOD that in general churches today are the money making machine, a business for profit, a religious industry for creation of material wealth. Not all, but many.

And this is why church today is not really a church of GOD, a house of prayer, a house of education, a safe heaven for lost souls, but literally a social club with all its amenities in order to attract people to their place. Actually it is a trap.

But I think those who realized the weakness of the church for profit and not for GOD, they can find another way to educated people and bring them to GOD without profiting from them, and without church itself.

And while we a little bit went off course from the original subject of this forum, but at the end I hope that we all agree on one thing, that we should to find alternative ways beside the traditional frame of the church, to bring unsaved souls to GOD and improve faith of those who are still weak or undetermined in their path to GOD.

And if take to account all the advices that are presented in this forum, we can find very good diversity of different ways and methods to achieve the most important goal of all, that is to bring the souls of human beings to GOD, as many as possible.

To Romans 2.13
13.It is not the hearers of the Law who are righteous in GOD’S sight, but the doers of the Law who will be justified.

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lot's of interesting and thought provoking conversation here... I can't say I entirely agree with all of it, but we simply cannot ignore the fact that so few church goers are truly engaged in any type of evangelism.

One book I found helpful and encouraging was Bill Hybels' "A Walk Across the Room". I don't agree with everything he has to say, but there was plenty of good stuff there. Particularly interesting was his concept of not having to close every time, just move people a little closer when sharing, and his concept of a "Matthew party".

I think the main problem, aside from natural human laziness and fear, is that people do not really believe deep in their hearts that the Word of God has the power to save (or that the Bible really is God's word), or that there really is a judgment coming, or that Jesus really is who the Bible claims He is. For most Christians, they hope (in the secular sense) that these things are true (aside from the judgment thing), but deep down they are not confident of these things. There are so many forces at work today that give people cause to doubt the truth of Scripture, and with doubt comes equivocation.

Just my two cents worth.

Upvote 0

hopeinGod

A voice crying in the wilderness
Jul 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟2,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What, as I view my life, stands out to me as being most remarkable is that while I was willing to "go into all the world and preach the gospel," I was not a well person. I suffered internally as the result of living a dreadfully dysfunctional childhood. The hurt from those years caused me deep pain and a kind of existential aloneness that refused to leave despite the many hours I spent in prayer and study for others and my own small ministry to others. I even helped as an usher at two Kathryn Kuhlman meetings where I experienced the most powerful presence of God. Lots of people were healed, and still I went home unwell, still carried the same deep scars.

It's befuddling how one can give so much to the work of the ministry and still be living in their own personal hell. Part of the problem, I think, was due to the lack of understanding within the nondenoms concerning the Christian response to PTSD. What made it even more difficult was the prosperity doctrines that saturated the Christian community in those days. If I had the faith of the grain of a mustard seed, I could remove the PTSD that enslaved me, I was told....and still, I refused to give up, refused to stop reaching out to others with the message of hope and salvation.

It wasn't until I was in my 40s that I came upon a psychologist named John Bradshaw who taught about the inner child who continued to hurt and needed ministering to. Not an overnight cure, for sure, but after much reading, prayer and honest admittance to being more than a bit confused and discouraged, I finally was able to reach deep inside me with words to myself to help rid me of the pain of the past.

So, don't think a believer has to have all his ducks in a row, all his t's crossed and i's dotted, before God can use Him. If you're willing, He will make a way for you to give to others the truth, even when you yourself are having to trust God for some very difficult answers.

Upvote 0

NazerbruhILJC

Jul 19, 2014
✟15,145.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
right now im sorta limited to how i can evangelize i can only do it from home i dont have a car im a teenager but i wanna tell people on xbox about Jesus because of the fact i cant reach many people that cant be reached on the streets as easily :) even evngelize on twitter during the nfl season with other fans of the sport even tho most of them will be angry an cuss me out because im an eagles fan hahha

Upvote 0

Bramwell

Oct 24, 2012
✟8,411.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I was in high school, I remember a first step toward evangelizing which I took was simply leaving some "Chick Tracts" in the toilet, etc. I was a bit too nervous to try to openly evangelize, but felt good about at least "planting a seed" for others to grow in their faith if they read the tract. (Of course because I didn't physically hand the tract to anyone, I couldn't be certain that it was actually read.)

Anyway, I guess my point is that an important step is just to get started, and once you're started, keep going. With time and experience (and maybe a bit of prayerful thought), your methods are bound to improve. Then just leave it to God to bring the increase after you do the spiritual planting.

Upvote 0

ALoveDivine

Saved By Grace
Jun 25, 2010
Detroit, MI
✟11,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
First, before we can be effective evangelists we need to get the gospel right. So many Christians, though they know the gospel deep down and are truly saved, don't know how to effectively communicate it. I've compiled some specific verses that will help all of us to share the true gospel more effectively. I've organized them by categories, which you can use as sequential stages of presentation.

How can an infinitely good and just God forgive wicked men?

The problem
Proverbs 17:15

The solution
2 Corinthians 5:21
Romans 3:23-26
Isaiah 53
1 Peter 2:24-25
Romans 8:3

Repentance: What it is and the need for it

The Need
Luke 5:32
Acts 17:30
Luke 13:5
Acts 20:20-21
Luke 24:47
Acts 26:19-20

What is it?
Isaiah 55:6-7
2 Corinthians 7:10

Justification by faith alone in Christ alone
Romans 3:20
Romans 3:24
Romans 3:28
Romans 5:1
Romans 5:9
Romans 10:10
Galatians 2:16
Galatians 3:11

Prayerfully read and meditate on these verses of scripture, that the gospel may dwell within you richly, and you will be more able to communicate it to others clearly and in the power of the Holy Spirit.

Another thing we need to consider is our fear. What have we to be afraid of? What can any person do to us? To live is Christ and to die is gain (Philippians 1:21)! Where then is fear, and what power does it have? Even if we get shot in the head preaching the gospel, all that means is that it is our appointed time to go home and be with our Lord. None of us will leave this world a single moment before we are supposed to, always remember that.

We are all invincible in the providence of God, and all things work together for our good (Romans 8:28). The Lord will open doors, he will provide, and he will protect. Our lives are in his hands, and there is no safer place for them to be. Oh what little faith we have! Let us trust in the Lord and his power, and there need not be any fear in our hearts when it comes to sharing the gospel!

How do we evangelize? KNOW the gospel, get together with your fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, and GO out there and share it! It can be as simple as striking up friendly conversations and sharing the truth as the Lord leads. We are not salesmen, we are not selling a message, we are sharing the truth in full faith and confidence that, although we plant the seeds, it is God that gives the increase.

Last edited:
Upvote 0