Looking For Doctrinally Safe Church

A

Awaken4Christ

Hello All, I am looking for a church that has the fire to follow God's word and a strong desire to conform to Christ and not to the world. I have heard many great Calvinist leaning preachers but I am looking for a non-calvinist church. It is my belief that I would rather be a fence sitter on certain doctrinal issues than be a false prophet. So I am for a bible believing church that has reservations about authors outside of the bible. It has to be a church that believes that Jesus is the Son of God and that he died for our sins. An Alter call confession of faith does not necessarily mean you are saved if you didn't truly mean it or believe in Jesus Christ. The church doesnt have to be a continually sorrowfull church that beats itself up; there is great joy in the Lord after all. But the church shouldnt be there to entertain or to recruit the most amount of people by whatever means either. Any suggestions? Also who are some good preachers to listen to that are non-calvinist? Thankyou so much.

Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Most of the criteria you describe could change from one congregation to another. A denomination might stand for one thing, and then the members and pastor could interpret that in their own way. The church is a living, breathing organism, and can even change once you settle in.

Prone to wander, Lord I feel it...

Anchor yourself in God and your pursuit of truth, which is good. Then ask Him where He wants you to be. Use your guidelines to discern which ones are lining up and which aren't, because a very good denominational choice can lead to a warped local expression of the faith. Make the pursuit of spiritual truth part of your process, so you will not get upset if the church is different than they presented themselves.

Most of the Protestant churches that I have visited fit your description in mission statement, but fluctuate in what is promoted (this is not an anti-Catholic statement... I just haven't been exposed to the activity of their church in their services). You can find their statements on their web sites, usually "about us" pages. I usually check for what ministries are listed, and their events calendar, to get an idea of their tone and priorities.

By definition, all Protestant and Catholic, Orthodox churches should operate on the premise that Jesus is the Son of God and that he died for our sins. But some get sidetracked, and you would find that out by looking into each individual church.

Charles Stanley is usually considered a very doctrinally safe preacher. He is self-disciplined and seems to hold himself to high standards, so uses his words carefully.

A lot of people also like Alistair Begg, who I am not as familiar with.

I tend to listen to a broad variety, and then it is easier for me to see when one statement is off track. I don't remember ever getting an uneasiness in Stanley's teaching.

I hope you find a nearby church where you can settle in and enjoy the life there. Many churches post streaming sermons online now, so you can even check out doctrine mid-week during lunch breaks.

Upvote 0
R

Receiver

Hello All, I am looking for a church that has the fire to follow God's word and a strong desire to conform to Christ and not to the world. I have heard many great Calvinist leaning preachers but I am looking for a non-calvinist church. It is my belief that I would rather be a fence sitter on certain doctrinal issues than be a false prophet. So I am for a bible believing church that has reservations about authors outside of the bible.
Calvin is an author outside the bible.

Why not just stick to the bible?

Jesus isn't confused, he only set up one church.

And he's a good communicator. Yes he uses men and backs up correct teaching with signs following.

Why not read Acts 2, *put yourself there* and expect the same today.

I'm with a church that does that, as a result we all have and entered into a relationship with God, and each other that we never had before!

Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I am looking for a non-calvinist church

I have been "beaten up" pretty bad by Calvinist/reformed/covenant people over the years, so I can understand if you might have also had some bad experiences.

One thing you might want to consider is that often these people have a doctrinal view that sees no role for a restoration of a remnant of Israel in their eschatology. What is called dispensationalism often sees a restoration of Israel. You may ask about the end time view of a church to see if the have a covenant view or a dispensational view.

Upvote 0

Mick116

Jul 14, 2004
✟8,869.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like the open Christian brethren (i.e. so-called "Plymouth" brethren) might be a good fit for you. As a loose fellowship of nondenominational churches that share certain traits in common, they often go under names like "Community Church", "Christian Church", "Christian assembly", "Gospel Hall" or "Gospel Chapel".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
A

Awaken4Christ

I have been "beaten up" pretty bad by Calvinist/reformed/covenant people over the years, so I can understand if you might have also had some bad experiences.

One thing you might want to consider is that often these people have a doctrinal view that sees no role for a restoration of a remnant of Israel in their eschatology. What is called dispensationalism often sees a restoration of Israel. You may ask about the end time view of a church to see if the have a covenant view or a dispensational view.

The reason I want to be apart of a non-calvinist church is that I have not confirmed the 5 points of Calvinism or Tulip. I know reformed theology, as it is called, is much more than 5 points; the points were constructed as a refutation to the Armenius movement. Despite my differences, I must also say that I have come across some Calvinists who at least look like they are vigorously trying to conform to Christ.(God knows better than I) I think the term “reformed” is easier to find information associated with hardcore bible believing, and as everyone knows there are ten kinds of Baptists, etc.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod and the Free Methodist Church come immediately to mind. Cerette's mention of the Church of the Lutheran Confession is good, too, but a local congregation might be hard to find. The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod might be a good choice, but it's less guaranteed.

Hello All, I am looking for a church that has the fire to follow God's word and a strong desire to conform to Christ and not to the world. I have heard many great Calvinist leaning preachers but I am looking for a non-calvinist church. It is my belief that I would rather be a fence sitter on certain doctrinal issues than be a false prophet. So I am for a bible believing church that has reservations about authors outside of the bible. It has to be a church that believes that Jesus is the Son of God and that he died for our sins. An Alter call confession of faith does not necessarily mean you are saved if you didn't truly mean it or believe in Jesus Christ. The church doesnt have to be a continually sorrowfull church that beats itself up; there is great joy in the Lord after all. But the church shouldnt be there to entertain or to recruit the most amount of people by whatever means either. Any suggestions? Also who are some good preachers to listen to that are non-calvinist? Thankyou so much.

Upvote 0

RealFaith

Jul 30, 2013
✟334.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Good luck with that. In my experience from being a Christian for six years, the vast majority of Christians don't care what the Bible says. They don't seem to have a passion for truth. They will believe parts of the Bible that appeals to them, but ignore or twist the parts that don't appeal to them. It doesn't matter what Christian forum or church I go to, everywhere is the same. I've only come across a tiny minority of Christians who give the impression that they have a passion for the truth of God's word. The rest just replace Biblical Christianity with man made churchianity. I feel like a sheep amongst wolves. All I can say to you is good luck.

Upvote 0

Mick116

Jul 14, 2004
✟8,869.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Good luck with that. In my experience from being a Christian for six years, the vast majority of Christians don't care what the Bible says. They don't seem to have a passion for truth. They will believe parts of the Bible that appeals to them, but ignore or twist the parts that don't appeal to them. It doesn't matter what Christian forum or church I go to, everywhere is the same. I've only come across a tiny minority of Christians who give the impression that they have a passion for the truth of God's word. The rest just replace Biblical Christianity with man made churchianity. I feel like a sheep amongst wolves. All I can say to you is good luck.
Biblical Christianity is not man-made?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cerette

Feb 2, 2008
Canada
✟17,321.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Perhaps you will be happier checking out my church, we care about the truth and believe the Bible.

The Church of the Lutheran Confession

Upvote 0

hopeinGod

A voice crying in the wilderness
Jul 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟2,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It depends, I think, upon the sort of openness you prefer. Not all parts of a church's political structure are accessible or allowed exposure. Some functions are restricted to a cliquish squad of members. If that doesn't bother you, then you're one who doesn't demand or need an openness about church matters. Frequently, situations take place beyond the view of attendees. Perhaps a smaller gathering, like a home church, would be more to your liking.

Upvote 0

sparrows

Dec 18, 2012
✟15,284.00
Faith
Christian
Why not read Acts 2, *put yourself there* and expect the same today.

I'm with a church that does that, as a result we all have and entered into a relationship with God, and each other that we never had before!

I appreciate your aspect regarding Acts 2.

For them fellowship had a high priority. They met every day and dealt eagerly with the teaching of the apostles. I suppose that also today, if people want to give up everything and follow Jesus, they will live like the first Christians lived.

And which aspects did you mean from Acts 2?

Upvote 0