I havent been able to attend church. I feel like crap.

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟922,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
So not only has our lead elder been gone for the past month but my wife also has had to work every Sunday to date and she is the only ride I have to church because my church is an hour away from where I live.

It's not my wife's fault that she has to work Sundays because she is a part time employee and can be called in at anytime. I don't want her to quit or lose her job or change jobs. Especially when she likes working at Walmart so much. I just... feel depressed that I haven't seen my congregation since Easter because lots of stuff has been coming up. I feel naked without attending service or being immersed in my Bible or even watching sermons on YouTube. I just don't anymore and there's no excuse for that. None whatsoever.

But I wish my wife worked full time because then she would have the weekends off and we could attend. It doesn't help at all that she is the only one who can take me to church and I need my church to grow spiritually. My wife can request time off a Sunday 3 weeks in the future but that just seems so horribly far away and she's already requesting time off next Thursday because she has a Doctor appointment to go to.

I mean, there is no option of a closer church unless I want to join a Catholic church I'm just seemingly stuck. I'm not Catholic at all but if I was there's like 10 Catholic churches in town. The closest reformed church is in Canton which is the one we attend. My wife can only get some many days off and I regret her saying she can work weekends because every single weekend since she's got this job she's had to work Sunday and gotten Saturday off.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? I don't really consider youtube much of a replacement but more of an addition. And if haven't regularly read the Bible in years. Its just not the same without reading it with my congregation. Idk. I just don't know I just guess I can't attend Church until my wife starts working full time...

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I mean, there is no option of a closer church unless I want to join a Catholic church I'm just seemingly stuck. I'm not Catholic at all but if I was there's like 10 Catholic churches in town. The closest reformed church is in Canton which is the one we attend.

Hmm. So, in your town, there are lots of Catholic churches, but no Protestant churches, and the nearest Reformed church is an hour away.

What would you think about visiting one of the Catholic churches? Not joining, visiting. Just going on the Sundays you can't get to your own church. You wouldn't be able to receive Communion, but you'd hear several lengthy passages of Scripture read, and you'd hear a sermon, and you'd be able to sing and pray alongside other Christians. Protestants are allowed to attend Catholic services; we just can't receive Communion there. If the sermons or prayers include something you disagree with, just say to yourself "That's a place where Reformed and Catholic Christians disagree", and let it go, and join in with the rest of the service.

I've visited Catholic churches on a couple of my recent vacations. I was hundreds of miles away from my home church, and in both cases there was a Catholic church close to where we were staying, so I went to the Catholic church when Sunday came around. I enjoyed the experience, and it was much better than sitting glumly in a hotel room.

Could someone in your family help you get to one of the churches in town? If it's just a mile or two away, that shouldn't be too much of an imposition on the person driving. And again, you're just visiting while you can't get to your own church; you're not switching your membership or your affiliation or anything like that, just visiting.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So not only has our lead elder been gone for the past month but my wife also has had to work every Sunday to date and she is the only ride I have to church because my church is an hour away from where I live.

It's not my wife's fault that she has to work Sundays because she is a part time employee and can be called in at anytime. I don't want her to quit or lose her job or change jobs. Especially when she likes working at Walmart so much. I just... feel depressed that I haven't seen my congregation since Easter because lots of stuff has been coming up. I feel naked without attending service or being immersed in my Bible or even watching sermons on YouTube. I just don't anymore and there's no excuse for that. None whatsoever.

But I wish my wife worked full time because then she would have the weekends off and we could attend. It doesn't help at all that she is the only one who can take me to church and I need my church to grow spiritually. My wife can request time off a Sunday 3 weeks in the future but that just seems so horribly far away and she's already requesting time off next Thursday because she has a Doctor appointment to go to.

I mean, there is no option of a closer church unless I want to join a Catholic church I'm just seemingly stuck. I'm not Catholic at all but if I was there's like 10 Catholic churches in town. The closest reformed church is in Canton which is the one we attend. My wife can only get some many days off and I regret her saying she can work weekends because every single weekend since she's got this job she's had to work Sunday and gotten Saturday off.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? I don't really consider youtube much of a replacement but more of an addition. And if haven't regularly read the Bible in years. Its just not the same without reading it with my congregation. Idk. I just don't know I just guess I can't attend Church until my wife starts working full time...
Join an Adventist Church and then you have a day for church while also having freedom to work on Sundays

Reactions: Terri Dactyl
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟922,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hmm. So, in your town, there are lots of Catholic churches, but no Protestant churches, and the nearest Reformed church is an hour away.

What would you think about visiting one of the Catholic churches? Not joining, visiting. Just going on the Sundays you can't get to your own church. You wouldn't be able to receive Communion, but you'd hear several lengthy passages of Scripture read, and you'd hear a sermon, and you'd be able to sing and pray alongside other Christians. Protestants are allowed to attend Catholic services; we just can't receive Communion there. If the sermons or prayers include something you disagree with, just say to yourself "That's a place where Reformed and Catholic Christians disagree", and let it go, and join in with the rest of the service.

I've visited Catholic churches on a couple of my recent vacations. I was hundreds of miles away from my home church, and in both cases there was a Catholic church close to where we were staying, so I went to the Catholic church when Sunday came around. I enjoyed the experience, and it was much better than sitting glumly in a hotel room.

Could someone in your family help you get to one of the churches in town? If it's just a mile or two away, that shouldn't be too much of an imposition on the person driving. And again, you're just visiting while you can't get to your own church; you're not switching your membership or your affiliation or anything like that, just visiting.

I might consider that actually. My mother is Catholic so I can probably go to church with her if she is still attending with her mom. Her mom is 92 now and can barely move around so idk if they're still attending church or not. I'm going to ask my mom.

I wouldn't ask her to take me to Canton and sit in the car for an hour and a half. I know my mother wouldn't attend our church. She's more of a "God will see my mighty works and let me into heaven based on that" I doubt my mom really believes in Jesus. Its a shame really.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟922,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Join an Adventist Church and then you have a day for church while also having freedom to work on Sundays

There is one on the way to our church but they have been closed since covid started. I wish I could just walk to church but it would take all day to walk there and back. Plus I can barely walk for 2 minutes. Let alone all day. Oh well.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
There is one on the way to our church but they have been closed since covid started. I wish I could just walk to church but it would take all day to walk there and back. Plus I can barely walk for 2 minutes. Let alone all day. Oh well.
I have not heard of any SDA churches that remain closed since COVID but it could be that the group disbanded I suppose.

Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Offering honest advice. First Corinthians chapter 3 . I would stay away from denominations. These apostates are hirelings. They teach tradition of men and false doctrine. Colossians chapter 2 will further document this.
I'm not knocking churches down. Apparently, thiers few decent churches left.
On YouTube, shepherds chapel teaches sound doctrine. Chapter by chapter. I studied 23 years with shepherds chapel. I thank God I found pastor who tells us the truth.
It's your decision.

Upvote 0

dmoban

Mar 21, 2022
Texas
✟18,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed

I know that I am late to this thread but...first, church members are normally (or at least should be) happy to help each other out. Are there other church members who could pick you up on Sundays? Also, does your church post services online? If so, invite a neighbor or someone to go to your house and watch online with you.

Reactions: Terri Dactyl
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟922,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I know that I am late to this thread but...first, church members are normally (or at least should be) happy to help each other out. Are there other church members who could pick you up on Sundays? Also, does your church post services online? If so, invite a neighbor or someone to go to your house and watch online with you.

No. I live over an hour away from church completely out of the way so nobody would be willing to drive me 4 hours out of their way picking me up, taking me to church and then driving me home and take another hour driving home. They don't do online services because our Elder probably doesn't know how to make a lifestream. That or he can't afford it. Im not sure which is true. Our deacon does Mail our elders sermons every week but it's just not the same as attending.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dmoban

Mar 21, 2022
Texas
✟18,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
No. I live over an hour away from church completely out of the way so nobody would be willing to drive me 4 hours out of their way picking me up, taking me to church and then driving me home and take another hour driving home. They don't do online services because our Elder probably doesn't know how to make a lifestream. That or he can't afford it. Im not sure which is true. Our deacon does Mail our elders sermons every week but it's just not the same as attending.
The main thing is that you attend church and worship. It is better to attend a different church than to want to attend your same church but not be able to and then wind up not attending church at all. I have a friend who lives about an hour east of Dallas and she and her husband have been attending a Church in Austin Texas online for the past few years. They make it there in person about once or twice a year and are happy to attend online the rest of the time. Their church is a good 4 hours away. Find a good church that you like that has online broadcasting. Invite your neighbors and Friends to attend with you and your wife can attend with you. The online sermons are there all day on sundays. It's not only a way to connect and attend a church but also a way to witness and invite friends and neighbors to join you. God wants our worship and that is more important than which church we attend.

Upvote 0