Berlin
✟9,303.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I tried to find a place for me But I couldn't... Im tired of churches where the lasers, drums, emotions are in the center, churches which doesn't understand difference between prozelitism and evangelism, with 50 minutes sermons full of jokes, full of blind fanatism and conspiracy theories. I left definitely Evangelical Christianity because of that. I respect evangelicals for many things, I became Christian in Evangelical Church too But I'm tired of this kind of Christianity and don't see there my place anymore

I was looking in more traditional churches like lutheran, reformed but unfortunately where I live (Europe) many of them are very liberal, with homosexual pastors, woman bishops etc. And I tried even accept this but I feel very often this churches are more focused on LGBT and Feminist movements than Gospel, you can sometimes find more posts about Pride than Bible in their social media.

So at the end I started to learn more about anabaptism and "proto-protestant" churches (it means Waldensians, Lollards/John Wycliffe and Hussites/Moravian). They are more focused on the Bible I feel, on simplicity, peace, all things I support, also more traditional than Evangelical, with structurized services, sermons etc. But I could be too beautiful to be real Mennonites are very small group in Europe and they represent mostly more liberal part of anabaptism (woman pastors etc). Waldensians today exist only in Italy and Argentina So this is only more like some "exotic" interesting thing rather than real option. At the end Lollards and John Wycliffe is what I was looking for but Lollards doesn't exist today, teaching of John Wycliffe was continued by Jan Hus and then his followers in Moravian Church existing today, now Im considering to join them but again problem is that they are small group in Europe, in my country not even one congregation. Also they have woman clergy in all level - deacons (which I accept and support) But also pastors and bishops (here is problem).

I don't know if I am the problem because I have unreal expectations to looking for a church which will be both based on christian tradition rather than "contemporary worship" and at the same time focused on Gospel and mission and will be conservative without homosexual and female bishops But at the same time not fanatic?

Or maybe its really not easy to find good church today...

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello and welcome to CF!

I didn’t come here to say “come see my Church” but after reading your concerns you might be interested. The Orthodox Church is basically a continuation from the other early sees mentioned in the Scriptures EXCEPT Rome. At any rate, definitely traditional style worship that won’t be changing on you, and no female priests. Though women are not looked down upon. There are many wise spiritual women just as men.

Anyway. It’s sometimes not on people’s radar as they are seeking. You might be interested to look.

I just wanted to say hello and welcome though. :)

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟567,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am considering returning to my Anglican roots. I was raised Episcopalian and was confirmed and took first communion as an Episcopalian.
The last couple churches I have been to seemed to be more like a pop music concert than a worship service. I hate to criticize anyone and I suspect they are honestly trying to do what they believe to be right.
But as I approach 70, I am looking for stability and fellowship and deep worship.

Upvote 0

Lollardy

Jul 13, 2023
Berlin
✟9,303.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I didn’t come here to say “come see my Church” but after reading your concerns you might be interested. The Orthodox Church is basically a continuation from the other early sees mentioned in the Scriptures EXCEPT Rome.
Thank you, actually I was thinking about Orthodox, and maybe it will be my place at the end I don't say No. But I'm from "western christianity" so Im still trying to find there, Eastern Christianity is "exotic" for me But definitely interesting. I feel that less susceptible to werid teaching and practices than western. In compare to catholic I feel orthodox is more centered on Jesus, in catholic I feel there is everything - relics, Mary, eucharistic adoration, saints, but not Jesus.

Upvote 0

Lollardy

Jul 13, 2023
Berlin
✟9,303.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I am considering returning to my Anglican roots. I was raised Episcopalian and was confirmed and took first communion as an Episcopalian.
The last couple churches I have been to seemed to be more like a pop music concert than a worship service.
Yes, I don't want to criticize too because I know these "pop churches" do this with good intentions but I feel there is no place for deeper reflection, even If Im younger than 70 :)

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I tried to find a place for me But I couldn't... Im tired of churches where the lasers, drums, emotions are in the center, churches which doesn't understand difference between prozelitism and evangelism, with 50 minutes sermons full of jokes, full of blind fanatism and conspiracy theories. I left definitely Evangelical Christianity because of that. I respect evangelicals for many things, I became Christian in Evangelical Church too But I'm tired of this kind of Christianity and don't see there my place anymore

I was looking in more traditional churches like lutheran, reformed but unfortunately where I live (Europe) many of them are very liberal, with homosexual pastors, woman bishops etc. And I tried even accept this but I feel very often this churches are more focused on LGBT and Feminist movements than Gospel, you can sometimes find more posts about Pride than Bible in their social media.

So at the end I started to learn more about anabaptism and "proto-protestant" churches (it means Waldensians, Lollards/John Wycliffe and Hussites/Moravian). They are more focused on the Bible I feel, on simplicity, peace, all things I support, also more traditional than Evangelical, with structurized services, sermons etc. But I could be too beautiful to be real Mennonites are very small group in Europe and they represent mostly more liberal part of anabaptism (woman pastors etc). Waldensians today exist only in Italy and Argentina So this is only more like some "exotic" interesting thing rather than real option. At the end Lollards and John Wycliffe is what I was looking for but Lollards doesn't exist today, teaching of John Wycliffe was continued by Jan Hus and then his followers in Moravian Church existing today, now Im considering to join them but again problem is that they are small group in Europe, in my country not even one congregation. Also they have woman clergy in all level - deacons (which I accept and support) But also pastors and bishops (here is problem).

I don't know if I am the problem because I have unreal expectations to looking for a church which will be both based on christian tradition rather than "contemporary worship" and at the same time focused on Gospel and mission and will be conservative without homosexual and female bishops But at the same time not fanatic?

You won't find the perfect denomination. I was compelled to attend an anglican church for 3 years. It put me off organised religion completely. God saved me anyway, but not in a church setting. I only knew anglican, so I headed for the cathedral that I knew of. I walked in, looked around and walked straight out. This was over 50 years ago. I've attended a number of churches since. I've also been part of a home based fellowship. We still meet in our home but we also found a local church that we attend from time to time. It is anglican. If someone had foretold this to me 50 years ago, I would have disbelieved them.

I traveled a lot in my early years as a believer. I was in the military. I found that Christians are much the same wherever you go. Doctrinally, the differences are minor and make little difference in experience. I don't agree with a number of anglican doctrines. However, the pastor at the local church welcomed my wife and I. They have an older congregation. They do not turn the meeting into a rock concert. I've been to another church a couple of times. I wore earplugs the last time. The music was deafening.

Ask God to lead you to the right place. You may find that the people meet in homes rather than a big building. That may be the only option in future. The world is increasingly hostile to the church. A few years ago, it was indifferent. Not any more.

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟64,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I sincerely hope you find a traditional Bible-teaching church in your area to attend. Unfortunately we're living in a time when that seems to be the antithesis of what many professed Christians seem to want. If the Bible is taught, it's with a worldview of what pastors and people determine it says in their own minds, it's not based on what it actually says. Entertainment is pushing Bible study by the wayside. Bible study classes and Sunday school are many times just social clubs and lessons are barely touched upon. Sermons are more about self than God. Many of the praise songs seem more like chants. Churches do need to be socially conscious and need to support ministries that help people in a Bible-based manner. Sometimes there's a very thin line separating what should be Biblically supported from what shouldn't.

There are very good churches out there. Sometimes it takes a while to find one. But many of those are slowly dying and are being replaced with worldly churches. The church I belong to is Bible-based. But it's very small, having shrunken to about thirty members. Most are elderly. The Sunday school teachers in the classes I've attended over many years have all taught from the Bible. But it's a dying church and won't be around for more than a few more years. And I'm much like you... wondering what I will do then and whether I'll able to find another church when that time comes.

Upvote 0

Louise15

Dec 28, 2021
MANCHESTER
✟29,876.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟567,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
After 50 years we are returning to the more formal, Anglican church of my childhood. Tired of the glitz and glamor. Feel like I am at a stage show.
I don't like to criticize, but I need something with a firm foundation of faith, doctrine, and worship. Friendship. Fellowship. Stability.

Reactions: Merrill
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟217,842.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The last couple churches I have been to seemed to be more like a pop music concert than a worship service. I hate to criticize anyone and I suspect they are honestly trying to do what they believe to be right.
But as I approach 70, I am looking for stability and fellowship and deep worship.
I don't like to criticize any either, and getting close to 70 too. As for me the best worship I've enjoyed is in , home groups meetings. My spirit when it comes to worship just likes something simplistic. Nothing like small group in homes, anyone with a psalm or song they'd like to share they do so, with no mics needed, just a acoustic guitar , simple song sharing something from the heart.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟587,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, God is quiet, and you can share with Him, by being quiet with Him >

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

"casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you " (1 Peter 5:7)

Upvote 0