Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Have you ever written a letter of reprimand/counseling?

I'm on the board of directors for an association here and I have to reprimand/counsel one of our members for her behavior during a meeting/training (which I wasn't at, but involved another board member so I was elected to write the letter).

Writing this letter is the hardest thing I've done in a long time, and is causing a little stress.

Any suggestions?

Also, [public] poll - just because.

Rhye

Legend
Mar 29, 2010
✟43,006.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I'm on the board of directors for an association here and I have to reprimand/counsel one of our members for her behavior during a meeting/training (which I wasn't at, but involved another board member so I was elected to write the letter).

Writing this letter is the hardest thing I've done in a long time, and is causing a little stress.

Any suggestions?

I have not written a letter of counsel, but I have held meetings with coworkers regarding their behavior. The first thing I did was tell them why I held the meeting and what were the important issues I wanted to discuss. Then I spoke about their individual strengths and the kind of work they do. I gave them a research background (because may of them understand it more when you base it on research) that children do better in school when parents have high expectations for them, rather then do things for their children all the time. So, I stated, that I had high expectations of their professional development, their behavior, and work ethic. I have such expectations because I respect them, and want them to have a better position later on in the future, and hope that they continually strive to better themselves as professionals.

After that, I discussed the issues. What happened and what could have been done to prevent it. I also gave another example of a person who is training to be a police officer. I told him, that I regard his profession with honor. And as a person who serves the community outside of our school, I see him doing the same service for the school. And because of that, I expect him to check his behavior, and his attitude with parents, and with other workers. I expect him be a professional and no matter how rude or how bad someone did something, he must perform his duties and think clearly, logically, and put the needs of the families first. Once he has done so, he can then be allowed by the families to enter into their lives so that he can also share more of who he is. This allows for collaboration by the families with him and with the school to give and receive. And because of that, more parents will allow the educators in the school to truly help them, and build a community within the school to be stronger.

So, those are the steps I took. I don't know exactly your situation, but I can tell you after that meeting, he has changed a lot, and I have not heard any more complaints about him.

Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
:hug: Letters like this are never easy.

I would say to keep it blunt and short, don't skirt around the issue or draw it out. Bring up the behavior, express disappointment, get it over with. If you know why she acted like that, like she was frustrated with something, maybe express that you can sympathize "I can understand your frustration with the issue" and provide an alternative, appropriate behavior if she feels that way in the future "If you feel this way again, we encourage you to pull one of us aside privately". It sometimes helps to acknowledge motive, otherwise it can lead to further frustration because nobody "gets it". If you don't know the motive, then just be general.

I'd also end it with some encouragement. Tell her that you're glad she attends the meetings and her presence is important. Let her know that she has strengths that really benefit what you do.

It'll be a pretty light correction, you don't need to threaten her on the first offense. If she doesn't fix the issue, a personal confrontation might be more efficient.

Upvote 0

Tink

our God is faithful. ♥
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2004
Texas
✟56,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

traingosorry

I'm what Willis was talkin' bout.
Mar 10, 2004
✟14,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
(Warning: this is probably not helpful) I say throw in some gangsta greek text.

Dear _____:

What you did will simply not do and won't be tolerated again in the future. Please don't do it again.

Lorizzle ipsizzle dolor sit amet, mofo ma nizzle elit. Nullizzle sapizzle velizzle, funky fresh volutpat, suscipizzle quis, gravida vel, arcu. Pellentesque bling bling. Sed eros. Hizzle izzle dolizzle check out this yo mamma tempizzle mah nizzle. Fo shizzle pellentesque sheezy izzle turpizzle. Ma nizzle izzle tortizzle. Pellentesque fo shizzle rhoncizzle fo shizzle mah nizzle fo rizzle, mah home g-dizzle. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Donec dapibizzle. Curabitur fo shizzle my nizzle urna, pretizzle eu, mattizzle ac, eleifend vitae, nunc. Ma nizzle suscipizzle. Integer semper velit da bomb you son of a bizzle.

Its fo rizzle ac my shizz izzle arcu interdizzle da bomb. Quisque fizzle. Da bomb non ante.

Sincerely and regrettably,

Sara

Reactions: Rhye
Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
(Warning: this is probably not helpful) I say throw in some gangsta greek text.

Dear _____:

What you did will simply not do and won't be tolerated again in the future. Please don't do it again.

Lorizzle ipsizzle dolor sit amet, mofo ma nizzle elit. Nullizzle sapizzle velizzle, funky fresh volutpat, suscipizzle quis, gravida vel, arcu. Pellentesque bling bling. Sed eros. Hizzle izzle dolizzle check out this yo mamma tempizzle mah nizzle. Fo shizzle pellentesque sheezy izzle turpizzle. Ma nizzle izzle tortizzle. Pellentesque fo shizzle rhoncizzle fo shizzle mah nizzle fo rizzle, mah home g-dizzle. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Donec dapibizzle. Curabitur fo shizzle my nizzle urna, pretizzle eu, mattizzle ac, eleifend vitae, nunc. Ma nizzle suscipizzle. Integer semper velit da bomb you son of a bizzle.

Its fo rizzle ac my shizz izzle arcu interdizzle da bomb. Quisque fizzle. Da bomb non ante.

Sincerely and regrettably,

Sara

LOL I think that just made my day :D

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have not; but have had to talk with co-workers about their behavior or work standards before. Keep the issue the main thing. Don't bring anything personal (either from you or someone else) into it. State the problem and then suggest solutions to the problem and end with hopes that they will heed this advice so that they can continue working there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private

Any suggestions?

I'm sorry, why are they having you write it when you weren't the one there? That seems backward to me. I've written people up, but had to take into account more of the instances I'd personally witnessed as opposed to hearsay. When I did them, I listed specific instances, why it went against policy or stating what current policy is and what is expected of them in the future. I don't personally believe in doing this, but I've seen where those in authority take it upon themselves to give the subordinate a manual or blurb on paper on what the rules or policy is - so they have it at their disposal. In my opinion, that's kind of being a jerk about it because more often than not, the person already knows what they did wrong and that it went against the rules. Giving them a take-home reminder just puts the stank on it.

Upvote 0

Balugon

o( ' . ' )o
Jul 18, 2005
The Looking Glass
✟32,114.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Reprimand sounds like such a dirty word. If it wasn't that big of a deal, I would just mention what happened, mentioned how it hurt the other person/s, possibly ask them to give their side of the story and then after hearing that person's side of the story, possibly ask them what kind of different ways they could change their behavior to have better communications and relations with the people they are interacting with. If it was some sort of huge deal, punishment typically does little to make anyone a better person, and it makes you or whoever the punisher is an enemy to them. But if it was that big and you have to let them know that it could cost them their job/position if they keep it up, then maybe mention some good traits they have as a person and that you don't want to lose them/that if you don't have to. It's easier to take something hard when someone honestly says something good about you with it, at least if it's done right, because it acknowledges that you care about them and that the problem isn't the person, but that the problem is the action.

Or, of course, if you're Board has some sort of set standard format you have to follow, well... I don't know when it comes to that one.

Best wishes.

Upvote 0