Legal Battle Erupts Between Surrogate Mom and Gay Dads

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Quite frankly - I don't trust the media. They may have told the woman they were gay, but want to use that for the media exposure. It's not like the media has NEVER done that before!
On Nancy Grace. The men said they didn't hide the fact, that they were gay. The surrogate choose to carry this baby for a fee. The surrogate isn't related at all. The bio mother isn't in the picture. The men still have the girl, but cant leave Thailand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Poor baby. This is only the beginning of the huge messes that will occur now that gay couples have the "right" to have children.

There have been heterosexual couples in similarly complex and intense predicaments because of disputes relating to surrogacy. This predates SSM marriage becoming legal in many industrialized countries. If this couple had been heterosexual instead of homosexual and were struggling with fertility issues (as many people do) they could have gone through the same procedures and encountered the same agonizing outcome. Legal and ethical complications prompted Thailand to ban commercial surrogacy for foreigners. They are very lax about punishing offenders, though, so the practice has continued.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
On Nancy Grace. The men said they didn't hide the fact, that they were gay. The surrogate choose to carry this baby for a fee. The surrogate isn't related at all. The bio mother isn't in the picture. The men still have the girl, but cant leave Thailand.

It is sad that they can't leave. Most people realize that adopting outside the USA they have different laws, customs, etc. This happens all the time, and its not just towards couples that are gay. You go into this realizing there maybe snags.

Heck within the USA they have had fights over surrogates wanting to keep the baby, and more recently in the news I think it was Sherry Sheppard that decided mid pregnancy that she wasn't going to have anything to do with the child - and divorced her husband. So, the surrogate was forced into a position of paying costs (child support, etc - to Daddy) towards the child due the fact you MUST list a mother on the birth certificate. Sherry was taken to court, and now is forced to contribute instead.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Since someone brought ,this thread back. Good news is, they got to keep their daughter, and they are back in Spain. Legal Battle Erupts Between Surrogate Mom and Gay Dads
BANGKOK — It was Saturday morning in Spain and Carmen is already up, drawing a rainbow on daddy’s face with a red crayon. Behind her, big brother Alvaro is trying to spin a plastic bowl on a stick. Moments later, their other papa called from work, telling them to prepare for an afternoon birthday party.

It’s been nearly two years since a same-sex, American-Spanish couple won a high-profile custody battle against the Thai surrogate mother to bring Carmen back home to Spain.

As fathers to two surrogate-born children, Gordon “Bud” Lake and Manuel Santos settled into a home in Valencia where they are raising 4-year-old Alvaro and Carmen, who’s now 3.

Last edited:
Upvote 0