Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You didn't have to. Your posts are practically dripping with derision over the idea that he spoke to pastors.

I happen to think that someone who talks to pastors on a regular basis is probably going to know more about the bible than the average layperson. That's been my experience, anyway. My biblical knowledge shot up big time after I married a pastor.

First you got all upset over "connections" and now you're all up in arms about people knowing pastors. Like, how dare we post about that stuff.

I don't get it.

Okay, I'm briefly stepping back in. I don't see that Quilty's post was dripping with derision over the fact that twin.spin spoke to pastors. While you may happen to value the opinion of someone who talks to pastors on a regular basis over that of a layperson, I personally value the opinion of someone who reads the Bible on a regular basis. Not saying you don't, so don't take it that way, I'm just saying that's my standard for who I consider to be informed on Christian matters and I've had three pastors in my family, but you don't see me dropping that info into almost every post like twin.spin does.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

twin.spin

Trust the LORD and not on your own understanding
May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
And you are the one who brought up the fact that you talk with Pastors so many hours a week and used it in the context that because you do, you know better. People can and do put their slant on what they learn from others.

Sorry for the "better than thou" overtones ... was not certianly trying appear that I was better, but apparently got too zealous to show the appreciation of the opportunities that I have been given to learn and grow in the faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Wow. Just wow. That post reminds me of the parable of the two men who went up to the temple to pray. One a Pharisee and one a tax collector. "He who exalts himself will be humbled and he who humbles himself will be exalted." A lesson for us all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
If you criticize people, you need to be willing to accept criticism back...

This thread has not been awful. Just because people disagree, and even disagree in a heated manner doesn't mean they hate each other or even dislike each other. Discussions like this NEED to happen every so often.

I guess if you don't like the tone of the conversation or if you want purely fellowship, there are other threads for you to post in. Don't keep coming back to this one if you think it's so horrible.

Upvote 0

seajoy

Senior Veteran
Jul 5, 2006
michigan
✟19,053.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm part of this forum and will read whatever threads I want - even the crummy ones if I so desire.
I was standing up for a friend....that's not wanted here? Gee the LCMS is standing up for their side and the WELS is standing up for their side. What a shock. I guess harmony among fellow Christians is viewed as childish around here for me to be told to stay out of certain threads. Well, I have my perspectives too and I've never told you not to read them if you don't like them.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm part of this forum and will read whatever threads I want - even the crummy ones if I so desire.
I was standing up for a friend....that's not wanted here? Gee the LCMS is standing up for their side and the WELS is standing up for their side. What a shock. I guess harmony among fellow Christians is viewed as childish around here for me to be told to stay out of certain threads. Well, I have my perspectives too and I've never told you not to read them if you don't like them.

If you want to read them, fine, read them. But understand that just because people disagree, that doesn't mean the world is falling apart. But I think that any WELS or LCMS pastor will tell you that harmony amongst Christians, TRUE harmony, won't be found until we're all in heaven. But wait, was that arrogant of me to bring up pastors??

You can even stand up for a friend. I was standing up for a friend, too, who was getting scrutinized for talking to pastors and people were implying that he was somehow bragging about it.

I didn't tell you to stay out of the thread, so please stop with that argument. I said that if you think the thread is so awful to you, stop reading it. Generally, if I'm reading something and I don't like what is being said, I don't keep reading. I said if you want simply fellowship, there are other threads to participate in. Was I wrong in that statement? If so...how?

Upvote 0

QuiltAngel

Veteran
Apr 10, 2006
Somewhere on planet earth
✟15,847.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If you haven't noticed, Twin.Spen edited his last post. He and I have ben talking in PM's. There is no need to take this whole thing further on this thread.

Most of the posters posting on this thread feels it has become awful. Most of the posters who have been posting on this thread have already left the thread because it became awful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
If you haven't noticed, Twin.Spen edited his last post. He and I have ben talking in PM's. There is no need to take this whole thing further on this thread.

Most of the posters posting on this thread feels it has become awful. Most of the posters who have been posting on this thread have already left the thread because it became awful.

Good for them, then. :thumbsup:

I don't feel it has become awful. I'm not afraid to stand up and say "these are the differences between our synods" and I'm not afraid to stand up for what I believe in. I believe most of the people in the LCMS would say the same thing.

We can't just sugarcoat this stuff and pretend like everything is hunky dory. By not talking about it, that's exactly what happens, and that's why you've got people on both sides very confused about why they can't take communion at their sister's church, etc.

Upvote 0

QuiltAngel

Veteran
Apr 10, 2006
✟15,847.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You don't know what Twin.Spin and I discussed in our PM's to each other. I will let him post anything of what he said to me if he desires to do so.

Let's just say, that this thread has come to it's end and there is no reason for all of this defensiveness now being show on this thread.

Upvote 0

seajoy

Senior Veteran
Jul 5, 2006
michigan
✟19,053.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I know that true unity among Christians will only be found in heaven. I've talked with pastors too. But there is also Proverbs 17:17 A friend loves at all times. Are we not Christian friends?
And I do agree with what you said about a woman's role in the church. I just don't understand the tone from both sides.
And yea, my tone has been pretty rotten at times too. I have the warnings to prove it. It's just that in this sub-forum it's hard to watch. Call me nuts.
And yes, you did want me out of this thread - you said so. So, for today, I will abide by what you say, and go to the silly little fellowship threads where I guess someone like me belongs.

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Good for them, then. :thumbsup:

I don't feel it has become awful. I'm not afraid to stand up and say "these are the differences between our synods" and I'm not afraid to stand up for what I believe in. I believe most of the people in the LCMS would say the same thing.

That's good. You should stand up for what you believe in and not be afraid to do so. But how many pages does this thread have to continue for, for that to happen? I'd say that it's happened already on both sides. You've said what you personally believe and exercise in regards to the WELS position, you've posted a link to the official WELS explanation of our position and members of the LCMS have done the same thing. If people don't know by now, 30 pages into this thread that there are differences between our synods and what those differences are, then maybe this thread should go for another 30 pages, but I really don't think it's necessary.

We can't just sugarcoat this stuff and pretend like everything is hunky dory. By not talking about it, that's exactly what happens, and that's why you've got people on both sides very confused about why they can't take communion at their sister's church, etc.

Exactly what's been sugarcoated here? From what I've read, nothing. This thread has caused some "can't we just have some peace" threads to be created. I don't see anything close to sugarcoating going on here. If people want to know why they can't take Communion at their sister's church they should be talking to the pastor of their sister's church, not us. But since YOU want this thread to continue, I've always had a question. You believe very strongly in the WELS position on this matter, it extends beyond the church and into your home. So tell me this, how do you reconcile your strong belief in the WELS explanation of the Biblical doctrine of a woman not not exercising any authority over a man, with your position on staff in CF, which gives you a lot of authority over the men on this forum?

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Exactly what's been sugarcoated here? From what I've read, nothing. This thread has caused some "can't we just have some peace" threads to be created. I don't see anything close to sugarcoating going on here. If people want to know why they can't take Communion at their sister's church they should be talking to the pastor of their sister's church, not us. But since YOU want this thread to continue, I've always had a question. You believe very strongly in the WELS position on this matter, it extends beyond the church and into your home. So tell me this, how do you reconcile your strong belief in the WELS explanation of the Biblical doctrine of a woman not not exercising any authority over a man, with your position on staff in CF, which gives you a lot of authority over the men on this forum?

You think I have authority over men here at CF? :D That's pretty comical, actually. When your training is done for being on staff, you'll realize that staff doesn't have any "authority" in the way you think they do.

Reactions: Tangible
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I will post here what I posted to Zec, since he publicly challenged my position here in accordance with what the WELS teaches:

First of all, staffers don't have authority over others in any biblical manner. When I was asked to be on staff, I talked to my husband about it and asked him what he felt...I asked if he thought it was going against the WELS teaching of authority. He said no. Now, I realize you don't put much stock in the opinion of pastors, but I trust and believe my husband.

I also trust and value the opinion of every other pastor that I talked to who said no, it doesn't contradict the WELS teaching. I have no authority here. I'm not changing doctrine, I'm not voting people out of the church, etc & etc.

Had I been asked to be a chaplain, I would've said no...that would've gone against what the WELS teaches as far as the roles. There are times when I have refrained from taking a staff action because I felt the action would be better coming from a male member of staff. There's also times I've refrained from actioning someone because we figured it would be better coming from a Catholic than a Lutheran.

I hope this adequately answers Zec's question, since he accused me of dodging it. CF staffers have absolutely no real authority in any biblical sense of the word. I can't excommunicate from your church, we don't vote on doctrine here and I'm certainly not leading or participating in any worship services here at CF.

Upvote 0

QuiltAngel

Veteran
Apr 10, 2006
✟15,847.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Come on PW, no one has said they don't put much stock in what Pastor's say. Geesh. The problem was people saying they talk x amount of time with Pastors and coming across as they know better because they do than those who my not talk to Pastors very much.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Come on PW, no one has said they don't put much stock in what Pastor's say. Geesh. The problem was people saying they talk x amount of time with Pastors and coming across as they know better because they do than those who my not talk to Pastors very much.

except he never said that. you guys just decided that was what he was saying because he kept bringing it up. So, I did the same thing and figured that since you guys kept bringing up that knowing pastors doesn't impress you or mean anything, that must mean you don't put much stock into what pastors said.

See what I did there?

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I will post here what I posted to Zec, since he publicly challenged my position here in accordance with what the WELS teaches:

Had I been asked to be a chaplain, I would've said no...that would've gone against what the WELS teaches as far as the roles. There are times when I have refrained from taking a staff action because I felt the action would be better coming from a male member of staff. There's also times I've refrained from actioning someone because we figured it would be better coming from a Catholic than a Lutheran.

I hope this adequately answers Zec's question, since he accused me of dodging it. CF staffers have absolutely no real authority in any biblical sense of the word. I can't excommunicate from your church, we don't vote on doctrine here and I'm certainly not leading or participating in any worship services here at CF.

I took this to a PM as this is a private matter between you and I. You wanna make it a public one, fine. Here we go. While what you do here is not going to affect any member's status in their own church, we have seen from this thread that you take this teaching of the WELS outside of the WELS church and apply it in your own home.

In this home is a computer which you use to log on to CF and manage those under you, namely senior moderators, and non-senior moderators. That is an exercising of authority over moderators and senior moderators, many of whom happen to be male. The Bible and the WELS teaching both plainly state that you are not to have any authority over men. In my opinion, you are at odds with what the WELS teaches, with what the Scriptures teach and with what you claim to believe and practice. Aren't you glad you took a PM public? ^_^

Upvote 0