Land O’Lakes Finally Settles the Debate: How Long Can You Leave Butter Out on the Counter?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry, grandma, you might not like this answer.

When it comes to storing food, many of us simply follow what our parents and grandparents did. Who cares about reading the package instructions when grandma left her butter in the butter bell all day, every day, right?

So, maybe your butter’s home is on the counter in a dish. Or if not on the counter at all times, perhaps you leave your butter sitting out overnight to soften before baking.

But, should you really leave butter sitting out, unrefrigerated? And, if so, how long can it be on the counter before it becomes unsafe to eat? We asked the experts at Land O’Lakes to put the debate to rest once and for all—and, some of you might not like the answer.

Can I Leave Butter On The Counter?​

It turns out that this concept is a little bit more complicated than a simple yes or no response because it’s more than just a question of safety.

Continued below.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Can I Leave Butter On The Counter?

It turns out that this concept is a little bit more complicated than a simple yes or no response because it’s more than just a question of safety.

Just ask Jeeves.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Sorry, grandma, you might not like this answer.

When it comes to storing food, many of us simply follow what our parents and grandparents did. Who cares about reading the package instructions when grandma left her butter in the butter bell all day, every day, right?

So, maybe your butter’s home is on the counter in a dish. Or if not on the counter at all times, perhaps you leave your butter sitting out overnight to soften before baking.

But, should you really leave butter sitting out, unrefrigerated? And, if so, how long can it be on the counter before it becomes unsafe to eat? We asked the experts at Land O’Lakes to put the debate to rest once and for all—and, some of you might not like the answer.

Can I Leave Butter On The Counter?​

Continued below.
A bit of language trivia.

When I saw 'counter' in your post /article I assumed you were talking about leaving butter out in the context of a shop. It wasn't until I read the article that the penny dropped.

In Australia, a 'counter' is the flat surface in a shop or cafe where you are served. What you call a counter I would call a kitchen bench or benchtop.

PS. In Australia we would never normally leave butter out of the fridge.

OB

• Informative
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A bit of language trivia.

When I saw 'counter' in your post /article I assumed you were talking about leaving butter out in the context of a shop. It wasn't until I read the article that the penny dropped.

In Australia, a 'counter' is the flat surface in a shop or cafe where you are served. What you call a counter I would call a kitchen bench or benchtop.

PS. In Australia we would never normally leave butter out of the fridge.

OB
Interesting. I have never been one to leave butter out for any length of time without good reason. It just grosses me out.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟962,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Grandma and mom always left the butter out in a covered butter dish. I never died, and I have no idea what rancid butter tastes like. Perhaps we ate it too fast to have it turn rancid, which I reckon could be a problem in and of itself.

I hate going to restaurants serving butter too cold to spread without mutilating my bread.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We've in the last couple of years used a butter holder where the butter can be a little cooler (but not much) than room temp inside a bell over water which seals the bell and keeps it cool. Even after a week in the summer it was fine tasting as I recall. But the bell occasionally has to be cleaned, etc., so that it's barely any advantage unless you are using the butter very often.

Reactions: QvQ
Upvote 0

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
Held together by Jesus and coffee
✟698,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’m so glad to have found this article!! Butter has been a frustration for me because we don’t go through it fast enough to leave it on the counter in a butter dish, but it is always too hard to spread when kept in the fridge. Thank you!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are very welcome @Bumble Bee! :)
I’m so glad to have found this article!! Butter has been a frustration for me because we don’t go through it fast enough to leave it on the counter in a butter dish, but it is always too hard to spread when kept in the fridge. Thank you!!

Upvote 0