Ladies, when did you learn to cook?

• I learned how to cook when I was a child.

• I learned how to cook in my teen years.

• I learned how to cook just before I got married.

• I learned how to cook after I was married!

• I STILL don't know how to cook!

Results are only viewable after voting.

lostaquarium

Quite flawed
Dec 23, 2008
London
✟20,072.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I learnt the basics of how to cook in my teens. I still get stuff wrong though, so it's a continual learning process! I'm pretty good at Chinese food but not so good at Western recipes, especially baking. So when I get married and my little ones want cookies I'll have to learn those as I go along :)

Upvote 0

Stravinsk

Neo Baroque/Rococo Classical Artist
Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why is this thread only for the ladies???

By teenage years, I could boil water and cook hot-dogs and eggs - a skill that served me well through my batchelor years. Oh yeah, learning to use the microwave was pretty easy :p ...so frozen pizzas weren't a problem. :D

Later, I learned alot about alt med and how cooking food destroys natural enzymes and depletes some vitamins and minerals. I also learned alot about different foods and their properties that effect the human body.

I wouldn't put myself in the chef category...but I can make a mean vegan pizza from scratch, I regularly marinade nuts and seeds as well as meat to cook/dehydrate, use a variety of spices in dishes and know how to make almond milk and dairy free ice cream.

I'm also a big fan of Lecithin for brain health. Hehe - so may I submit my bachelor resume for consideration within this thread despite the fact that I am male?

Reactions: Oddish
Upvote 0

Obzocky

Senior Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
Rain Land
✟33,236.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Since childhood, although i'm pretty sure until I hit 7 I was getting in the way. Also my food preferences tend not to be shared by the majority of individuals, For example I detest soft-squishy rice, I like it crunchy. Same with pasta, absolutely hate it when it lacks a crunchy centre :o

Upvote 0

SmileAndAHandshake

Senior Veteran
Oct 1, 2003
✟19,199.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I still don't know how to cook, and as things are now I'll never learn :p haha, I loathe cooking. My husband kinda cooks, certainly better than I do. But me, I'm more of a from-a-box / in-the-microwave kinda gal.

One day, I hope to be a stay at home wife, and if that time comes... I'll learn.

But not today ;)

Upvote 0

BarelyBreathing

Everything is Beautiful
Sep 1, 2009
Middle of nowhere
✟18,180.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I began learning as a young child. In Junior High my mom went back to work and so I was coming home and cooking dinner after school. By High school I was cooking full time. In HS I began reading cookbooks and watching cooking programs. I still love to read cookbooks and watch cooking shows. :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bitnd12

Children, get your hearts right.
Apr 3, 2008
New York
Visit site
✟17,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I started making meals for my family in my early teens. I was making dinner (and occasionally breakfast) almost every night by age 14. I've even done some more "advanced" things (baking, in particular) but I still wouldn't really consider myself a good cook by any means.

Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I started learning in my teens. I love to cook and have become fairly accomplished over the years.

My 8 yr old son has been showing an interest in learning to cook, so we have begun making meals together. He said he wants to be able to cook all by himself by the time he's 10. :D

Upvote 0

alfrodull

Senior Veteran
Jul 13, 2007
✟11,571.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I was making my own dinner on weeknights from the age of ten or eleven onward, since neither of my parents got home from work until later. I never made anything elaborate, and still rarely bother, but I learned how to produce acceptable results quickly once I realized it was the only way I'd get to eat.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟70,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been able to do the simple things (scrambled eggs, grilled cheese) since I was a kid. However, most people don't consider it "cooking" unless you're using the oven and taking hours and serving more than 2 or 3 people. I always just say I don't cook, because what I do is always stovetop or microwave stuff, and that usually isn't an acceptable definition of "cooking" for most people. And that's fine with me. I never have any intention of becoming a domestic goddess.

Upvote 0

backspacekey

Feb 5, 2010
✟15,226.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm going to crash the gals party here. I'm a guy (as you know by now) and I can't cook. You're thinking "big surprise there!". :p The thing is I wish I could. I love to watch them on TV but I just can't do it. Granted they went to school to learn how to do it.

Upvote 0

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟40,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I've been able to do the simple things (scrambled eggs, grilled cheese) since I was a kid. However, most people don't consider it "cooking" unless you're using the oven and taking hours and serving more than 2 or 3 people. I always just say I don't cook, because what I do is always stovetop or microwave stuff, and that usually isn't an acceptable definition of "cooking" for most people. And that's fine with me. I never have any intention of becoming a domestic goddess.

This describes me, too.

I would like to learn more creative recipes, but I don't see the point in making anything fancy when I just cook for myself. I doubt I'll ever be a domestic goddess, though. I don't enjoy cooking (or cleaning).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ceh85

You shattered my darkness,washed away my blindness
Mar 25, 2009
✟15,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
None of those really apply to me. I've learned to cook gradually over time. I'm sure that after I get married I'll be learning a whole lot more.

Same really. If I ever have someone else to cook for I'm sure it will motivate me a lot more.

Upvote 0