adelaidepensiero

Sep 4, 2007
South Dakota
✟346.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do you know you are saved? Not what do you do to have it shown to you (reading the Bible, praying, because I understand all this) but in those moments when you feel utterly alone and don't feel as if God has accepted me at all, how do I KNOW I'm saved? When my faith is that weak, where can I put my comfort? What logical things can one do to find if they are saved in the days, weeks or months when they don't "feel" it?

Also, how does one know they are a true repentent Christian when he or she grows up in a Christian home? (I'm not bashing this, just a question for my own benefit). I find that when people ask, yes, I believe that I'm in total depravity and Jesus is my salvation if I ask him into my heart. However, I've been told this is truth since I was a baby. So it's something I know just like I know that my birthday is in June, that Abraham Lincoln was a president, etc. It's almost common knowledge in my mind. Does that make it less "true" for me having just known it since I was young?

Obviously, I've been a Christian my entire life and I've been having doubts about my faith lately, not because of some outrageous down fall but because I sometimes feel I dno't believe what I believe for the right reason. And I really don't feel God's presence and haven't for way too long now. I keep looking back at times when I did feel it and wanting that back and wondering if I was just kidding myself into thinking I was a Christian then and really am not. I want to be a Christian in my heart, as I know the things of the Bible to be true, but am I accepted? Do I REALLY believe them or do I just think they are true because of my upbringing?
Any encouragement would be much appreciated.

Catholic Christian

May 12, 2007
United States
✟5,032.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How do you know you are saved? Not what do you do to have it shown to you (reading the Bible, praying, because I understand all this) but in those moments when you feel utterly alone and don't feel as if God has accepted me at all, how do I KNOW I'm saved? When my faith is that weak, where can I put my comfort? What logical things can one do to find if they are saved in the days, weeks or months when they don't "feel" it?

Also, how does one know they are a true repentent Christian when he or she grows up in a Christian home? (I'm not bashing this, just a question for my own benefit). I find that when people ask, yes, I believe that I'm in total depravity and Jesus is my salvation if I ask him into my heart. However, I've been told this is truth since I was a baby. So it's something I know just like I know that my birthday is in June, that Abraham Lincoln was a president, etc. It's almost common knowledge in my mind. Does that make it less "true" for me having just known it since I was young?

Obviously, I've been a Christian my entire life and I've been having doubts about my faith lately, not because of some outrageous down fall but because I sometimes feel I dno't believe what I believe for the right reason. And I really don't feel God's presence and haven't for way too long now. I keep looking back at times when I did feel it and wanting that back and wondering if I was just kidding myself into thinking I was a Christian then and really am not. I want to be a Christian in my heart, as I know the things of the Bible to be true, but am I accepted? Do I REALLY believe them or do I just think they are true because of my upbringing?

Some people promote a very attractive idea: All true Christians, regardless of how they live, have an absolute assurance of salvation, once they accept Jesus into their hearts as "their personal Lord and Savior." The problem is that this belief is contrary to the Bible & constant Christian teaching.

Recall this Scripture: "If we have died with him [in baptism; see Rom. 6:3-4] we shall also live with him; if we persevere we shall also reign with him" (2 Tim. 2:11-12). So, ff we do NOT persevere, we shall NOT reign with him. In other words, Christians can forfeit heaven. Jesus tells us, "He who endures to the end will be saved" (Matt. 24:13; cf. 25:31-46). Ergo, if you do not endure to the end, well........

The Bible makes it clear that Christians have a moral assurance of salvation (God will be true to his word and will grant salvation to those who have faith in Christ and are obedient to him [1 John 3:19-24]), but the Bible does NOT teach that Christians have a guarantee of heaven. There can be no absolute assurance of salvation. The Bible says, "See, then, the kindness and severity of God: severity toward those who fell, but God's kindness to you, provided you remain in his kindness, otherwise you too will be cut off" (Rom. 11:22-23; Matt. 18:21-35, 1 Cor. 15:1-2, 2 Pet. 2:20-21).

Note that this includes an important condition: "provided you remain in his kindness." It is saying that Christians can lose their salvation by throwing it away. He warns, "Whoever thinks he is standing secure should take care not to fall" (1 Cor. 10:11-12). , Paul admitted that even he could fall away: "I pummel my body and subdue it, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified" (1 Cor. 9:27). In saying this he points out that even he cannot be infallibly sure of his own present state or of his future salvation.

As a Catholic, when someone asks me if I have been "saved," I answer: "I am redeemed by the blood of Christ, I trust in him alone for my salvation, and, as the Bible teaches, I am working out my salvation in fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12), knowing that it is God's gift of grace that is working in me."

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No one knows if they are saved because no one is God.

Only God knows who is saved or not because He's the only one with the Grace, omnipotence, omniscience, and sinlessness to be able to offer just, honest, knowledgeable, and pure Judgment.

Those who play God will suffer terrible consequences.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You didn't answer my questions at all

Actually, I did. You asked how do you know you are saved and I answered you don't know.

Just because you don't like or disagree with the answer doesn't mean they didn't answer your question.

you just got stuck on the "you can lose salvation" bit.

That's the consequence, not the statement.

I don't believe that. I'm not catholic.

Do you see my icon? Does it say I am Vatican Catholic?

And I wasn't asking if you can lose your salvation. I was asking how do you know you are saved.

See my above.

All you are doing is Begging the Question.

Upvote 0

adelaidepensiero

Sep 4, 2007
South Dakota
✟346.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, I did. You asked how do you know you are saved and I answered you don't know.

Just because you don't like or disagree with the answer doesn't mean they didn't answer your question.

That's the consequence, not the statement.

Do you see my icon? Does it say I am Vatican Catholic?

See my above.

All you are doing is Begging the Question.
Sorry, My first response was not for your post, it was for the post above it. I didn't get those things from you. I asked you "so people don't know they are saved?"

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
So people don't have any idea if they are saved or not?
Hi. That depends in what way you mean by being "saved".
How does one become unsaved and in danger of the "gehenna" is my question?

http://www.scripture4all.org/

Matt 10:22 And ye shall be being hated by all thru the name of Me. The one yet enduring into a-finish, this one shall be being saved

Acts 2:21 And it shall be all of whom ever should be calling upon the name of Lord shall be being saved.

Romans 19:13 For all who ever should be calling upon the name of Lord, shall be being saved.

Upvote 0
S

SpiritDriven

A Gospel Teaching Article...To Boost your Confidence..

http://www.gospelfortoday.org/jteachings/confidence.htm

Peace

Upvote 0

JohnPiperFan

Jan 15, 2008
Texas
✟15,136.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know for sure, but I think there are some things that can encourage and help assure Christians of their faith. For example, if you feel a desire for God and for your salvation to be real, or if any sins in your life are truly experienced as struggles and are confessed to God, even if you still find yourself sometimes enjoying sin at the moment but deep down hate your sin and have a desire to be more sanctified, or if you experience other desires and longings to have your life continually changed to God's glory, then I think these can be good indications to you of your faith in God being genuine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

adelaidepensiero

Sep 4, 2007
South Dakota
✟346.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I mean "saved" as in going to Heaven because you have been accepted by Jesus and you have accepted Him. Again, I don't believe people can become "unsaved".
Everybody goes through "rough" times in their relationship with God. How do you know you are saved during those times and you weren't just kidding yourself when you were "good" with God?

Upvote 0

adelaidepensiero

Sep 4, 2007
South Dakota
✟346.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know for sure, but I think there are some things that can encourage and help assure Christians of their faith. For example, if you feel a desire for God and for your salvation to be real, or if any sins in your life are truly experienced as struggles and are confessed to God, even if you still find yourself sometimes enjoying sin at the moment but deep down hate your sin and have a desire to be more sanctified, or if you experience other desires and longings to have your life continually changed to God's glory, then I think these can be good indications to you of your faith in God being genuine.
thank you.

Upvote 0

adelaidepensiero

Sep 4, 2007
South Dakota
✟346.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A Gospel Teaching Article...To Boost your Confidence..

http://www.gospelfortoday.org/jteachings/confidence.htm

Peace
Thanks. I read through it. That is something I have been taught since I was young as well. So it's not really that I feel my actions make my relationship with God, it's more a heart issue. How can I tell if I'm saved or not? I feel as though I think "well yes, Jesus died for my sins" and "yes, I am damned because of my sin without him" but do I believe it or just know it as something I've learned?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I mean "saved" as in going to Heaven because you have been accepted by Jesus and you have accepted Him. Again, I don't believe people can become "unsaved".
Everybody goes through "rough" times in their relationship with God. How do you know you are saved during those times and you weren't just kidding yourself when you were "good" with God?
Hi. You just said we cannot become unsaved then you ask how do you know you are saved during certain times.
The book of Job is one of my favorite OT books and no one goes thru as much as he did and still he never lost faith. If you have any doubt whatsover, that can lead to complete apostasy from Christ and what happens to that person, I do not know.
Read the Bible often and I especially like the Gospel of John and pray often for JESUS to strengthen you.

Btw, how many times have you read the Bible? Just curious. Peace.

http://www.kingdombiblestudies.org/Job/Job.htm
Book of Job

........The thing we want to note is that although Job was wealthy in temporal things, rich in spiritual things, and proclaimed perfect by the Lord Himself, he had not been "tried by fire" as sons of God must be — he was as yet untried, untested, and unproved.

In the midst of Job's ordeal of affliction and suffering the spirit of prophecy came upon him and he opened his mouth and spoke concerning the purpose of God in it all, declaring, "But He knows the way that I take; when He has tried me, I shall come forth as gold" (Job 23:10).

Upvote 0

adelaidepensiero

Sep 4, 2007
South Dakota
✟346.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi. You just said we cannot become unsaved then you ask how do you know you are saved during certain times.
The book of Job is one of my favorite OT books and no one goes thru as much as he did and still he never lost faith. If you have any doubt whatsover, that can lead to complete apostasy from Christ and what happens to that person, I do not know.
Read the Bible often and I especially like the Gospel of John and pray often for JESUS to strengthen you.

Btw, how many times have you read the Bible? Just curious. Peace.

http://www.kingdombiblestudies.org/Job/Job.htm
Book of Job

........The thing we want to note is that although Job was wealthy in temporal things, rich in spiritual things, and proclaimed perfect by the Lord Himself, he had not been "tried by fire" as sons of God must be — he was as yet untried, untested, and unproved.

In the midst of Job's ordeal of affliction and suffering the spirit of prophecy came upon him and he opened his mouth and spoke concerning the purpose of God in it all, declaring, "But He knows the way that I take; when He has tried me, I shall come forth as gold" (Job 23:10).
From cover to cover? Not sure. I know at least twice. I'm sorry, I'm not being clear. I guess I'll start over...
Here is my new question:
how do you know you are saved?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
From cover to cover? Not sure. I know at least twice. I'm sorry, I'm not being clear. I guess I'll start over...
Here is my new question:
how do you know you are saved?
How do you know you aren't?
What parts of the Bible have given you doubts about being saved or not?

Do you feel you are as worthy of "damnation" as this poor fellow in Luke 16?

Luke 16:26 And on all of these, between Us [NC Faith/Life] and Ye [OC Law/Death] a great chasm/casma <5490> hath been established, so that those willing to cross-over/diabhnai <1224> (5629) hence toward ye not be able to, no yet thence toward us may be ferrying/diaperwsin <1276>.

http://users.aristotle.net/~bhuie/lazarus.htm

The parable of Lazarus and the rich man, long used by mainstream ministers to teach the reality of "hell," really has nothing to say about punishment or reward in the afterlife. Christ used this story, which fit the common misconception about life after death in his day...............

Upvote 0

adelaidepensiero

Sep 4, 2007
South Dakota
✟346.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do you know you aren't?
What parts of the Bible have given you doubts about being saved or not?

Do you feel you are as worthy of "damnation" as this poor fellow in Luke 16?

Luke 16:26 And on all of these, between Us [NC Faith/Life] and Ye [OC Law/Death] a great chasm/casma <5490> hath been established, so that those willing to cross-over/diabhnai <1224> (5629) hence toward ye not be able to, no yet thence toward us may be ferrying/diaperwsin <1276>.

http://users.aristotle.net/~bhuie/lazarus.htm

The parable of Lazarus and the rich man, long used by mainstream ministers to teach the reality of "hell," really has nothing to say about punishment or reward in the afterlife. Christ used this story, which fit the common misconception about life after death in his day...............
first i would like to say thank you for talking through this with me. I know I didn't sound appreciative before. I am struggling with knowing whether or not I am saved because I am wondering if I have mentally tricked myself into thinking I'm a Christian. I think I'm destined for hell because of my sin and that Jesus saves sinners if they ask... but do I just "think" this or do I believe it in my heart? Are their scriptures that differentiate?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
first i would like to say thank you for talking through this with me. I know I didn't sound appreciative before. I am struggling with knowing whether or not I am saved because I am wondering if I have mentally tricked myself into thinking I'm a Christian. I think I'm destined for hell because of my sin and that Jesus saves sinners if they ask... but do I just "think" this or do I believe it in my heart? Are their scriptures that differentiate?
Hi and thanks for that thoughtfull response.
Do you believe YHWH and His Christ exist? To me, the Bible appears to have just dropped down from "heaven" and to tell ya the truth, the first time I read it, I thought a superhuman alien had written it LOL.
You must firmly have faith that the Bible is the Word of Life, then read it.
What is the first thing Elohiym made in Genesis? Light!!!!! :wave:

http://www.scripture4all.org/

Genesis 1:3 And 'Elohiym is saying, "he shall become Light" and he is becoming Light
4 and 'Elohiym is seeing <ath> the Light that good. And 'Elohiym is seperating between the Light and between the Darkness.

Matt 4:16 The people, the one-sitting in darkness perceived a Light, great.
And/also to-the ones-sitting in part and shadow of death, a Light springs-up to-them.

John 1:3 All-things thru Him became/egeneto <1096> (5633) and apart-from Him became/egeneto <1096> (5633) not-yet one-thing which has become/gegonen <1096> (5754).
4 In Him life was, and the Life was the Light/fwV <5457> of the men.

Upvote 0

adelaidepensiero

Sep 4, 2007
South Dakota
✟346.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks again for the response. Again, I've read the Bible and continually do so. Have just read a few things that you have posted. I understand that reading it and believing it is true answers my question but again. Do I just think that the Bible is true, or do I really believe it? LOL, and the circle continues.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thanks again for the response. Again, I've read the Bible and continually do so. Have just read a few things that you have posted. I understand that reading it and believing it is true answers my question but again. Do I just think that the Bible is true, or do I really believe it? LOL, and the circle continues.
No worries mate.
The 2 Abrahamic religions of Judaism and Islam have the same problem with the Bible so it isn't just a Christ-ian thing.

Just don't let it bother you so much that you have to see a shrink about it, and don't let it interfere with relationships with family and loved ones.
Anyway, I will let others post as I also have gained insight and knowledge listening to others here. Good luck and Peace> :wave:

Isaiah 60:1 Arise!, shine!; that your light came, and glory of YHWH on you He radiates.
2 For behold!, the darkness is covering land, and gross-darkness peoples; and over you YHWH is being radiant, and His glory over you is appearing.
3 And Nations go to Thy light, and Kings to brightness of thy rising/radiance.

Psalms 119:105 . Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, And light unto my path

Reve 21:23 And the city not need is having of the sun, neither of the moon, that they should be appearing to her. For the Glory of the God illuminates her and the Lamp of her, the Lamb-kin.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.