Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think it can, but usually my experience has been that its the other way around. Some people's theology (to them) dictates that they use the KJV.
Perhaps one way it could change your theology is that it is more difficult to understand, making some things cloudy?
good question.

Upvote 0

@@Paul@@

The Key that Fits:Acts 28
Mar 24, 2004
Seattle
✟11,081.00
Faith
Baptist
Reformed Baptist said:
Does using a modern verison affect theology?

RB
http://www.av1611bible.com/forum/
hum... well... no comment. :)

Not doing this will effect your theology.
Act 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ainesis

Leaning on Him
May 28, 2004
Visit site
✟3,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reformed Baptist said:
Does using a modern verison affect theology?

RB
http://www.av1611bible.com/forum/
It could. But the main problem is relying on your own understanding and not following the revelation of God's Spirit, no matter what you use. God is the one who reveals all Truth; either we get our understanding from Him or we go by what man says (either ourselves or some other).

Upvote 0

Ainesis

Leaning on Him
May 28, 2004
Visit site
✟3,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@@Paul@@ said:
hum... well... no comment. :)

Not doing this will effect your theology.
Act 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.​
Guess what Paul? We agree!! LOL

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Upvote 0

Joe Orwell Fuss

Truth seeker
Jun 12, 2004
Yuma, Arizona
✟349.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Nothing? Now even the Septuagint? Or the Mastoretic texts? Early versions of the Vulgate? The ancient papyri? The codexes?
I have encountered Christians who thought the KJV was the first Bible ever written. That, in a sense, can effect theology.

Using multiple translations will affect one's theology, but it is a good thing. It helps remove errs based on inadequacies in any one translation.
That is a good point. Having multiple versions of the Bible can actually help with word studies.

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2003
The Dalles, OR
✟5,260.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
When a person thinks about dispensationalism, yes it does affect theology.

2 Timothy 2:15 in the KJV reads like this:
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
It was from this text that John Nelson Darby and Cyrus I Scofield came up with the scheme of the dispensations.

2 Timothy as it is translated in the RSV, NET, ASV, and the ESV:
RSV; Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.

NET: Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.

ASV: Give diligence to present thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, handling aright the word of truth.
ESV: Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.

As we can see the idea of division is not present in the other translations, so if Darby was reading an ASV instead of the KJV dispensationalism may never have happened.
CI Scofield wrote this in his Rightly Dividing the Word of Truth:
In 2 Timothy 15 he is told what is required of him as a workman: "Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
The Word of truth, then, has right divisions, and it must be evident that, as one cannot be "a workman that needeth not to be ashamed" without observing them, so any study of that Word which ignores those divisions must be in large measure profitless and confusing. Many Christians freely confess that they find the study of the Bible weary work. More find it so, who are ashamed to make the confession.

So the answer to the OP is yes it does.
Jeff the Finn

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

@@Paul@@

The Key that Fits:Acts 28
Mar 24, 2004
Seattle
✟11,081.00
Faith
Baptist
jeffthefinn said:
When a person thinks about dispensationalism, yes it does affect theology.

2 Timothy 2:15 in the KJV reads like this:
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
It was from this text that John Nelson Darby and Cyrus I Scofield came up with the scheme of the dispensations.

2 Timothy as it is translated in the RSV, NET, ASV, and the ESV:
RSV; Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.

NET: Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.

ASV: Give diligence to present thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, handling aright the word of truth.
ESV: Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.

As we can see the idea of division is not present in the other translations, so if Darby was reading an ASV instead of the KJV dispensationalism may never have happened.
CI Scofield wrote this in his Rightly Dividing the Word of Truth:

So the answer to the OP is yes it does.
Jeff the Finn
The Apostle Paul gives us at least three "dispensations" OR administrations of God.... Want me to list 'em for you? ;)

"teaching the message of truth accurately" is the very core of any dispensational teaching.... You can't teach it accurately if you're teaching it to the wrong people or if your message is 2500 years old!! ;)

Dispensationalism was not invented because of the creation of the KJV.

Upvote 0

Lynn73

Jesus' lamb
Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
✟15,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Atomagenesis said:
KJV will effects one's theology because it is missing many books.
According to Catholics, yes. Many of us don't share that belief and believe our Bible is complete. :)

I prefer the KJV myself, it's the only one I really feel comfortable with.

Here's a site concerning KJV versus other versions for anyone who is interested. Many would disagree with it, I'm sure. I just don't know what to think anymore.

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/another.htm

Upvote 0

prestonw

Liberal Christian
May 26, 2004
Lafayette, IN
✟7,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I use the KJV mainly because there are more Bible Study tools available for it. I have the Companion Bible, which is the KJV plus many, many notes on various parts of the Bible for ease in studying (mainly just word translation corrections/clarifications and outlines for the entire Bible). I also have a version of the Strong's Concordance which gives me virtual access to the original manuscripts used when translating the KJV. It makes studying the Bible easy and very interesting.

Upvote 0

christian-only

defender of the rebirth
Mar 20, 2004
✟1,017.00
Faith
Christian
Atomagenesis said:
KJV will effects one's theology because it is missing many books.

Nope. KJV contains all real Scripture. And you can get a KJV that contains the Apocrypha too, if you want that appendage. Actually, if you are going to put any stock in the Apocrypha you need to get a KJV since the NRSV tries to correct the original. For example, where that Latin text of 2nd Esdras actually says "Enoch" the NRSV says "Behemoth." :confused: The KJV however, says "Enoch" in the text and has a margin note indicating that "Behemoth" is probably meant. In other words, the NRSV is trying to hide the ridiculous Apocryphal blunder from you.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,357.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
JefftheFin,

A brief view of the elements of dispensationalism...

Justin Martyr (110-165) Dialogue with Trypho

Irenaeus (130-200) Refers to four principal covenants given to the human race.

Clement of Alexandria (354-430) Identified dispensations Adamic, Noahic, Abrahamic, Mosaic.

Augustine (354-430) distinguishes between 'former dispensations.'

Ryrie concludes, "It is not suggested nor should it be inferred that these early church fathers were dispensationists in the modern sense of the word. But it is true that some of them enunciated principles which later developed into dispensationalism...."

Dispensationalists

Pierre Poiret (1637-1716) A Compleat History or Survey of All the Dispensations

Isaac Watts (1674-1748) Similar to the Scofield Bible except for the omission of the Millennium that Watts didn't consider a dispensation.

J. N. Darby (1800-1882)

C. I. Scofield (1843-1921)

Don't get me wrong, they weren't dispensationalist as we are today, but progressive understanding of the Word has lead to a fuller understanding. I stand by the KJV as a Bible based on the best mss, I don't think it's divine and I don't feel we can't do a better translation based on the TR. The KJV has a wonderful style and if I'm not mistaken the Orthodox in general like the KJV/NKJV over other translation because the Church Fathers quote from the same mss.

God bless,

:)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.