Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Atheists should "stop being little girls and get on with their life", yet Christians get to kick and squeal when a picture that shouldn't even be there is taken down?

Serious question, can anyone honestly read that sentence and not be staggered by the double standard?

It's about the intent.
Being that it's Kansas, that picture has probably been up there for many years. Christians are tuning in to media and seeing liberals causing trouble on every single front of conservative society, and then it comes to their doorstep. Quite frankly, it would make me angry to, as it would MOST people.

There is no hypocrisy. There's people who are tired of it, but there's no double standard there.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's about the intent.
Being that it's Kansas, that picture has probably been up there for many years. Christians are tuning in to media and seeing liberals causing trouble on every single front of conservative society, and then it comes to their doorstep. Quite frankly, it would make me angry to, as it would MOST people.

There is no hypocrisy. There's people who are tired of it, but there's no double standard there.
What about those within this "conservative society" who are sick of it? You don't think there has ever been an atheist attending that school?

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What about those within this "conservative society" who are sick of it? You don't think there has ever been an atheist attending that school?
Or, heck, a Jew? a native American? A Buddhist? Even an aniconist Christian?

Upvote 0

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

This conversation is just going full circle, right back around. It isn't Muslims, Buddhists, Jews- nobody, except atheists. Atheists are sick of nothing- they have nothing to be sick of. They are within the most liberated time and place in the entire world, people in other countries would laugh at them for the way they act. Does anyone in Israel shudder when they see a cross? How about being an atheist in Rome where you could hardly go into a public restroom without a crucifix hanging by you?
The persecution must be so terrible, let me tell you.

I find it preposterous, because I am honest with reality, and it's time others did the same.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This conversation is just going full circle, right back around. It isn't Muslims, Buddhists, Jews- nobody, except atheists. Atheists are sick of nothing- they have nothing to be sick of. They are within the most liberated time and place in the entire world, people in other countries would laugh at them for the way they act. Does anyone in Israel shudder when they see a cross? How about being an atheist in Rome where you could hardly go into a public restroom without a crucifix hanging by you?

I find it preposterous, because I am honest with reality, and it's time others did the same.
This is more of that "everyone just knows" stuff, isn't it?

https://www.aclu.org/blog/buddhist-student-religious-liberty-prevail-louisiana

http://www.beliefnet.com/columnists...ic-law-muslim-group-supports-michigan-ban.php

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/09/u...for-closing-on-the-jewish-high-holy-days.html

https://www.aclu.org/blog/hindu-man-describes-mistreatment-after-false-positive-hand-swab

Yep. It's all about the atheists.

Upvote 0

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Shariah law, a sixth grader Buddhist living in a county so knee deep in the Bible Belt that the superintendent didn't even know what to do with him, Jews and Muslims complaining about, not the religious freedom of taking off holy days, but making it a standard for all, and a Hindu feeling mistreated because the Muslim terrorists are apparently shape shifters and nobody can be suspicious of anything.

While there may be a little to warrant in somewhere in all of that, the liberal agenda is the prime assault. And the overwhelming majority of atheists are liberal, for reasons all too clear.
The pettiness just to cause frustration speaks for itself. It leaves Christians not being able to do anything about it without being called hypocrites. So they are checkmated into just sitting down while atheists pummel them.

But we'll see how long that lasts. Seriously, no culture has infinite patience and just take punishment forever. Before liberals see their liberal country, they are likely to cause civilian war. Same thing with race. Good job.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

You're wrong. It's people with secular values, including religious people, who are feed up with those who don't know the difference between religious liberty and religious privilege. You want to talk about persecution? Talk to the fundamentalist conservative Christians whining about the removal of a Jesus painting.

Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Shariah law, a sixth grader Buddhist living in a county so knee deep in the Bible Belt that the superintendent didn't even know what to do with him, Jews and Muslims complaining about, not the religious freedom of taking off holy days, but making it a standard for all, and a Hindu feeling mistreated because the Muslim terrorists are apparently shape shifters and nobody can be suspicious of anything.

While there may be a little to warrant in somewhere in all of that, the liberal agenda is the prime assault. And the overwhelming majority of atheists are liberal, for reasons all too clear.
The pettiness just to cause frustration speaks for itself. It leaves Christians not being able to do anything about it without being called hypocrites. So they are checkmated into just sitting down while atheists pummel them.

But we'll see how long that lasts. Seriously, no culture has infinite patience and just take punishment forever. Before liberals see their liberal country, they are likely to cause civilian war. Same thing with race. Good job.
Yeah, that word "liberal" you keep using... seriously, online dictionaries are free, you know?

Look up "shifting the goal posts" while you're at it.

Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The fact is, a great deal of teh motivations for such repressive laws are religious in nature, though not all of them.

That we agree on...however, those repressive laws are the result of congressmen and local legislators blatantly violating the 1st amendment (the whole "shall make no law" thing) by making laws the respect an establishment of religion. If it's a case where people were being forced by law to engage in religion, then I'd be on the other side of the debate with you guys.

...but that's no what's going on here...we're talking about a picture hanging on a wall.

Children aren't solely influenced by their parents in making choices about religion: most of my apostasy was because of educators and general education that I got, not anything from my parents, who probably would've preferred that I still be Christian, even nominally, instead of outright nontheist and even clashing with relatives on rare occasion when it comes to such issues, though it's mostly on one side of the family that is more obnoxious about it.

Not solely influenced, but largely (maybe even mostly) influenced. A parent forcing their child to go to church from the time their very little until the time they're a teenager, and reinforcing religious values in the home for the duration is going to be what indoctrinates a child, not seeing a picture on the wall. You mentioned that your educators were a big influence on you...if this were a case where an actual educator was utilizing class time to teach and endorse religion, then I'd be having a different conversation.

I don't think it's any coincidence that almost 3/4 of people end up in the same religious institution as their parents...and that religion seems to be compartmentalized by demographics.

Regardless of what pictures are hanging up in the school
-- if the students grow up in Hispanic or Italian areas, there's a strong chance they're going to be Catholic
-- if the students are middle Eastern, there's a strong chance they're going to be Muslim
-- India/hindu
--etc... etc...

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I took my daughter to the park a couple of hours ago. While I was out the mind blowing hypocrisy of this statement finally clicked home and I've been wanting to comment ever since.

Atheists should "stop being little girls and get on with their life", yet Christians get to kick and squeal when a picture that shouldn't even be there is taken down?

Serious question, can anyone honestly read that sentence and not be staggered by the double standard?
I was going to comment along these lines but I thought the irony in the post was self evident

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I was going to comment along these lines but I thought the irony in the post was self evident
Well, you'd think, but, apparently not...
It's about the intent.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's about the intent.

They're tired of it but they're not too grown up to just deal with it like the atheist should, right? I think you should take your own advice and stop crying and whining about the atheist assault on conservative society. Someday you'll realize this never was a Christian nation, they just held it captive for a very long time. I'm glad to say those days are quickly coming to an end.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You're wrong. It's people with secular values, including religious people, who are feed up with those who don't know the difference between religious liberty and religious privilege. You want to talk about persecution? Talk to the fundamentalist conservative Christians whining about the removal of a Jesus painting.

There is no religious privilege in this country...if you're referring to the population makeup of our society, then yes, Christians are in the majority, and society is often going to have laws that reflect some of the values of majority. It'd be like if I moved to Japan, and then whined about "Japanese privilege". Complaining about "religious privilege", to me, sounds a lot like the Americans who travel to a European country, then get indignant when the people who live there prefer to speak their own language instead of English.

As an Atheist, nobody has ever asked me what my religion was on a job interview, I don't get hassled by the police because I wasn't in Church this morning, I'm not the victim of income disparity as a result of my choosing to not be part of a religion, etc...

As an Atheist, the life I live is no worse than that of a Christian in this country.

...plus, it's a slap in the face people from groups who have experience true persecution at the hands of the government.

Try telling a Jewish person who survived the Holocaust that "I also know how it feels to be the victim...why, just yesterday my nephew had to see a picture of someone else's deity out of the corner of his eye...so I, too, know hardship" ...and let me know how that works out for you.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There is no religious privilege in this country...if you're referring to the population makeup of our society, then yes, Christians are in the majority, and society is often going to have laws that reflect some of the values of majority. It'd be like if I moved to Japan, and then whined about "Japanese privilege". Complaining about "religious privilege", to me, sounds a lot like the Americans who travel to a European country, then get indignant when the people who live there prefer to speak their own language instead of English.

As an Atheist, nobody has ever asked me what my religion was on a job interview, I don't get hassled by the police because I wasn't in Church this morning, I'm not the victim of income disparity as a result of my choosing to not be part of a religion, etc...

As an Atheist, the life I live is no worse than that of a Christian in this country.

...plus, it's a slap in the face people from groups who have experience true persecution at the hands of the government.

Try telling a Jewish person who survived the Holocaust that "I also know how it feels to be the victim...why, just yesterday my nephew had to see a picture of someone else's deity out of the corner of his eye...so I, too, know hardship" ...and let me know how that works out for you.
Yep, no religious privilege. Which is why you've had so many atheist presidents.
Only the very worst cases deserve sympathy. Everyone else should just feel grateful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Fox
Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Perhaps you should address this to the religious conservatives who cry "persecution!" whenever someone points out that we don't have to all bend over backwards to accommodate their fragile religious sensitivities.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Careful now.... Without a central doctrine to guide them, atheist's political and social beliefs can be just as varied as Christians if not more so in many cases. There are atheist members on this site who would take offense to be labeled a liberal just because they are atheist.

It's not petty to want to keep people's supernatural and religious beliefs out of public schools. It is not petty to make sure the school isn't forcing any religious belief on the students. But hey, at least we aren't burning any of you at the stake like what would have happened to atheists for complaining just a few centuries ago.

A war with Christians? What are you going to do? Take arms and fight your fellow man? I wonder what Jesus would have to say about that?

How would Jesus feel about his followers shooting somebody in the face because they didn't want to look at a picture of Jesus, inappropriately hanging in a public school in a secular country?

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Atheists are perfectly fine with a Christian establishment getting protested, hit with death threats, and pushed to shut down with a ruined reputation because it's owner's opinion. All the while, it's employees constantly walking the tightrope and veterans being told they are celebrating hate by supporting the business in return.

ALL that complete, disgraceful nonsense.
But oh me, don't have a picture of Jesus on the wall! That's just a plain persecution.

The Left have no right to even use the word 'hypocrisy'. That is not their word.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Atheists are perfectly fine with a Christian establishment getting protested, hit with death threats, and pushed to shut down with a ruined reputation because it's owner's opinion. All the while, it's employees constantly walking the tightrope and veterans being told they are celebrating hate by supporting the business in return.

ALL that complete, disgraceful nonsense.
But oh me, don't have a picture of Jesus on the wall! That's just a plain persecution.
Who said it's persecution? It's not persecution; it's some arrogant religious fundies thinking they can shove their religion in everyone's face and then moaning when they are inevitably criticised for doing so.

Upvote 0

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Who said it's persecution? It's not persecution; it's some arrogant religious fundies thinking they can shove their religion in everyone's face and then moaning when they are inevitably criticised for doing so.

What they did was flat out illegal, unlike having a picture of Jesus on the wall.

Having an opinion is not shoving religion in one's face. I just love how you can sit there and defend one and say the other is wrong. It just illustrates the detestable reality that liberal bias is.

Upvote 0