Visit site
✟118,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Or when you want a clearly articulated answer or other people are asking the question and you want to make sure it is answered. I would note that there are people representing the traditional church position answering the journal as well.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟635,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
"He asked can we expect homosexuals (or anyone else who is not married because this question can very easily be applied to them) be celibate?"

Please answer this question. Just in case I was not clear before, hopefully this repetition will make it very clear.
The answer is, "yes."

And I still think the Metropolitan raises issues worthy of discussion - not because the church's historical position is wrong or even needs to be challenged, but because the Church's long existing position could benefit by being clarified/defined against the backdrop of modern society.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Or when you want a clearly articulated answer or other people are asking the question and you want to make sure it is answered. I would note that there are people representing the traditional church position answering the journal as well.

Can you expect homosexuals to be celibate? (and by extension, any unmarried person)

Please answer this question. After all, his emminance is asking this question.

Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Is there another position?

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The answer is, "yes."

And I still think the Metropolitan raises issues worthy of discussion - not because the church's historical position is wrong or even needs to be challenged, but because the Church's long existing position could benefit by being clarified/defined against the backdrop of modern society.

Thank you and I would agree. We do need to articulate better our beliefs and teachings.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
So one thing I haven't seen people discussing (perhaps because I haven't bothered to read all ten pages of the discussion) is the pieces that have been released from the journal so far - here is Fr Andrew Louth's editorial "Being Human": https://static1.squarespace.com/static/54d0df1ee4b036ef1e44b144/t/5b199e96758d46f4d2641f4a/1528405714624/#13:14+Being+Human.pdf
He seems to anticipate the reactivity here - though I certainly see where some might worry.

And then there is Fr John Behr's rather dense article From Adam to Christ: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/54d0df1ee4b036ef1e44b144/t/5b211d08f950b752810b01e2/1528896795990/Issue+#13:14+Behr.pdf I confess I haven't quite finished it, it's pretty thick.

While some of the later articles are certainly going to, uh, be less orthodox (and those generally from people who are admittedly outside the Church), I don't think we have to worry that people representing the Orthodox Church are going astray by discussing these issues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So one thing I haven't seen people discussing (perhaps because I haven't bothered to read all ten pages of the discussion) is the pieces that have been released from the journal so far - here is Fr Andrew Louth's editorial "Being Human": https://static1.squarespace.com/static/54d0df1ee4b036ef1e44b144/t/5b199e96758d46f4d2641f4a/1528405714624/#13:14+Being+Human.pdf
He seems to anticipate the reactivity here - though I certainly see where some might worry.

And then there is Fr John Behr's rather dense article From Adam to Christ: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/54d0df1ee4b036ef1e44b144/t/5b211d08f950b752810b01e2/1528896795990/Issue+#13:14+Behr.pdf I confess I haven't quite finished it, it's pretty thick.

While some of the later articles are certainly going to, uh, be less orthodox (and those generally from people who are admittedly outside the Church), I don't think we have to worry that people representing the Orthodox Church are going astray by discussing these issues.

Can we expect homosexuals (and by extension, single people) be celibate?

Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Platina

Nov 3, 2017
Mechanicsburg
✟229,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Met. Kallistos has maybe one line in his article about inquiring about the reasoning behind it. He spends much more time lamenting that it's so hard for homosexuals to be celibate, and then asks if they really have to be. He's barely addressing pastoral issues, and is actually calling theology into question.

Fr. Lawrence is quite right that he's being all academic and no bishop in this case. A bishop doesn't ask supposedly Orthodox questions so that open homosexuals who haven't been Orthodox for years can answer them.

No matter how much he says he doesn't agree with everything in some of the articles, and no matter how much Fr. Louth's article might be good, Met. Kallistos and the others are still participating in, and therefore approving of heretical, soul-destroying filth being published and branded as "Orthodox."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
So, basically, his article starts from cheap shots dragging Met Kallistos, then noting, "it would be unfair to characterize his stance as pro-gay...", and then proceeding through guilt by association. It's not a piece I'm going to take seriously.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Once again for those here thinking Ware is within the tradition, Do you, or do you not think that homosexuals can be celibate? This is the third or fourth time I've asked this question. I will assume silence speaks consent, and the answer is, "no, they cannot."

Upvote 0

Platina

Nov 3, 2017
Mechanicsburg
✟229,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So, basically, his article starts from cheap shots dragging Met Kallistos, then noting, "it would be unfair to characterize his stance as pro-gay...", and then proceeding through guilt by association. It's not a piece I'm going to take seriously.
Sorry, the notion that Fr. Lawrence's article isn't serious, but that The Wheel, which puts Orthodox issues into the hands of Gregory Tucker and Marjorie Corbman, IS serious, is just bat crap crazy.

Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Sorry, the notion that Fr. Lawrence's article isn't serious, but that The Wheel, which puts Orthodox issues into the hands of Gregory Tucker and Marjorie Corbman, IS serious, is just bat crap crazy.
His article is mostly guilt-by-association. If one is going to have reasoned discussion between the Church and people that disagree with it, which is what is going on in the Wheel, those are the people you would publish on the dissenting end - and all participants would be using reasoned arguments.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
No, he actually deals with what the metropolitan says.
A little bit, eventually, after noting "it would be unfair to characterize his stance as pro-gay..." and a mound of non sequiturs.

Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm not particularly interested in what his article has to say, true.

EDIT: I mean, he says this:

The Metropolitan writes as if he were always in his lecture hall, when in fact he is writing in the middle of a war zone. The truth is being challenged, and souls are being enticed, deceived, and lost. What one needs from a bishop now is not questions, but answers, not the murmur of a lecturer, but the blast of a trumpet. As a bishop, that is his job.

I don't agree with that characterization.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,300,778.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Ladies and Gentlemen

Enough is enough

Ladies and gentlemen, sadly this thread is now full of argument and debate. I think the time has come for a 48 hour break so all can reflect upon what they have written.

I would remind you all that this main board is a no debate area - even for members of TAW

Anhelyna - Senior Ambassador member

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.