Not open for further replies.

RussT

May 21, 2006
✟15,207.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
no ! not at all , it is the object of faith , CHRIST ; Christ's Righteousness is what justifies us !

law here is used in a general sense , a Law ; obedience . No man is saved because he is obedient , he is saved and by faith receives Christ.

God requires perfection , that is why Christ came...... faith does not JUSTIFY , it proves that we are justified , it is God who Justifies us .

No , Abraham was saved "by" his faith not because of it!

tell me when was Abraham justified ?

Faith is the EVIDENCE of things not seen , not the cause or instigator !
Romans 3:26 says that God is 'the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus'.(NASB)(lit. 'is of the faith of Jesus') Abraham was justified while still uncircumcised, and several generations before the Law was given. (I am equating 'being reckoned righteous' with 'being justified', which seems to be how Paul is speking in Romans.)

In Hebrews 11:2, "For by it(faith) the men of old gained approval", and in 11:39, "And all these, having gained approval through their faith...". It sure seems like faith precedes 'approval'. Most of the illustrations of 'faith' in Hebrews 11 involved action and obedience on the part of those persons used as examples of faith. Abel offered a better sacrifice; Noah prepared an Ark; Abraham obeyed by going out to the place God would show him; and so forth with most of the others. Without faith it is impossible to please God, for the one who comes to God must first have faith that He exists, and then have faith that He in fact rewards those who seek Him.

Russ

Upvote 0

holdon

Aug 3, 2005
✟6,041.00
Faith
Christian
John 6:29 God work for them to believe...
Yes. How? By sending the Son. That is God's work. By presenting an object, so that they may believe ON Him.
1 cor 3:5-8 one man planteth, another watereth.. God giveth the increase
I don't know what this verse has to do with it.

Upvote 0

A Brother In Christ

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2005
Royal city, washington
✟5,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John 6:29 God work for them to believe...

1 cor 3:5-8 one man planteth, another watereth.. God giveth the increase

Yes. How? By sending the Son. That is God's work.
that is the Son's work
what is the Father's? .. eph 1:4
what is the Holy Spirit? .. john 16:7-11, matt 12:28-29

remember about the trinity one God three persons matt 28:19
By presenting an object, so that they may believe ON Him. I don't know what this verse has to do with it.

A person can hear the gospel ... but if the Lord does not grant increase they cannot hear... mk 4:9-12

Upvote 0

nobdysfool

The original! Accept no substitutes!
Feb 23, 2003
Home, except when I'm not....
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
A person can hear the gospel ... but if the Lord does not grant increase they cannot hear... mk 4:9-12

A direct strike at the notion of libertarian free will. Salvation is of the Lord, not of our choice, or our will.

Upvote 0

holdon

Aug 3, 2005
✟6,041.00
Faith
Christian
that is the Son's work
Nope. "but my Father gives you the true bread out of heaven. For the bread of God is he who comes down out of heaven and gives life to the world."
what is the Father's? .. eph 1:4
Yep. And it doesn't say "chosen for salvation".....
what is the Holy Spirit? .. john 16:7-11, matt 12:28-29
Yes, I answered Jn 16 already previously. And again I don't know how you link Matt 12:28,29 to this subject????
Why did He then say: "
And he said, He that has ears to hear, let him hear. "

Upvote 0

A Brother In Christ

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2005
Royal city, washington
✟5,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nope. "but my Father gives you the true bread out of heaven. For the bread of God is he who comes down out of heaven and gives life to the world." Yep. And it doesn't say "chosen for salvation".....
so who showed Peter who Jesus was God ... matt 11?
Yes, I answered Jn 16 already previously. And again I don't know how you link Matt 12:28,29 to this subject????
God is three persons all have a part of our salvation
Why did He then say: "
And he said, He that has ears to hear, let him hear. "

Two different folds

satan's..goats
God's ... sheep john 10:29? his sheep will here his face

Upvote 0

holdon

Aug 3, 2005
✟6,041.00
Faith
Christian
The problem with these posts is that I don't know what you mean. Just pieces of sentences, verses, but no explanation what you're trying to say. Perhaps if you could just explain yourself a little better......
At any rate, I don't see Peter shows that Jesus was God in Matt 11. Peter's name is not even in the whole chapter! Do you even read what you quote?
Yes, no doubt about it.
Two different folds
Oh, here comes another enigmatic expression.... What are we to guess here?
satan's..goats
God's ... sheep john 10:29? his sheep will here his face

Where are the goats in John 10? There are none.

So, no Peter in Matthew 11, No goats in John 10. Or do you have a different bible than I do?

Upvote 0

A Brother In Christ

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2005
Royal city, washington
✟5,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matt 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but My Father which is in heaven .. this goes with

eph 1:4 Father choses us in Christ

this goes with

john 6:29 Salvation is a work of God

this goes with
john 10:26-29 My Sheep hear my voice...
Two different folds

#1 satan's..goats
#2 God's ... sheep john 10:29? his sheep will here his face

The problem with these posts is that I don't know what you mean. Just pieces of sentences, verses, but no explanation what you're trying to say. Perhaps if you could just explain yourself a little better......
At any rate, I don't see Peter shows that Jesus was God in Matt 11. Peter's name is not even in the whole chapter! Do you even read what you quote?
correction above .. sorry thought you would now the verse but .... perfer to bash me
Yes, no doubt about it. Oh, here comes another enigmatic expression.... What are we to guess here?

Where are the goats in John 10? There are none.
Matt 25:31-46 ... ask answered

So, no Peter in Matthew 11, No goats in John 10. Or do you have a different bible than I do?

sorry when else did peter and the father... sorry wrong verse

Upvote 0

Idea

Veteran
Sep 19, 2007
Zion
✟9,050.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Did not read everyone's comments - but am interested in the subject... Here are my scripturally based conclusions.

Saved by Grace, Works, or lottery?
Not either or – it is by BOTH faith and works.

Is belief enough?
James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

… the devils also believe…

the devils believe – they have faith that Jesus Christ exists – does that mean they are saved??!!??

If works are not part of the salvation process it becomes an unjust lottery.

Proverbs 24:12 … shall not he render to every man according to his works?

Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

James 2:14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Did not read everyone's comments - but am interested in the subject... Here are my scripturally based conclusions.

Is belief enough?
James2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

the devils believe – they have faith that Jesus Christ exists – does that mean they are saved??!!??

Proverbs24:12 … shall not he render to every man according to his works?

Matthew5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Matthew7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

James2:14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

hi idea .

i don't agree at all with your conclusion , but here's a question , why if man is justified by his faith and his works , why can he not be justified by keeping God's Law ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A Brother In Christ

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2005
Royal city, washington
✟5,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Is belief enough?
James2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

Proverbs24:12 … shall not he render to every man according to his works?

Matthew5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Matthew7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

James2:14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

is man justified by works ....
we fall short of the glory of God Romans 3:23

titus 3:5, eph 2:8-9, romans 4:5, 2 tim 2:9

So if at the reat White Throne Judgement .. they are judged by their works .. rev 20:12

Thank God by grace we are judge by Christ work

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.