Not open for further replies.

holdon

Aug 3, 2005
✟6,041.00
Faith
Christian
he wasn't !

The Place Of Justification

Some place justification to be only in the conscience. But we place it only in Christ where it is, and to Whom it belongs. Justification consists in taking away of sin. None but Christ can do that. Justification and acceptation are one. For without justification there is no acceptation. And seeing we are accepted in Christ, we are justified in Him. If our justification be a spiritual blessing, (as it is) then it is in Christ where all spiritual blessings are, "Blessed be God, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in Christ," Eph. 1:3. Where our redemption and righteousness are, there is our justification. Righteousness and justification are one. This we have not in our selves but in Christ, "who is made unto us of God, wisdom and righteousness," 1 Cor. 1:30. "In whom we have redemption," Col. 1:14. Our justification is a part of our completeness. Therefore, where we are complete there we are justified. But we are not complete in our selves, but in Him Col. 2:10. If all things on which depends our happiness were accomplished, John 19:28, then was our justification also. For without that no man could be saved.

The Occasion For This Present Work
Yet faith cannot satisfy justice nor merit the pardon of the least sin. Only Christ can do that. And that exposition that gives most glory to Christ and least to man, I believe is the truth. This is that which occasioned me to write at this time. For since my Book entitled the Saints Desire has been published, I have received several Objections against what I have written in page 147. Namely, that we are justified by Christ alone and not by our believing. Some affirm the contrary. Their Reasons with an answer I here present to your considerations because I am persuaded I have written the truth, and that the contrary opinion is dishonorable to our Lord Jesus Christ, in that they ascribe not their justification to Him alone, but to something else, namely, their believing. Justification By Christ Alone Is A Doctrine of Grace
You know this Doctrine I contend for is the Doctrine of Grace. In the knowledge whereof you find sweetness, because the work of your salvation is finished by Christ, Whose works are all perfect. This glads your hearts and keeps your souls from fainting,. This removes all objections that otherwise would discourage us. This is the fountain that cannot be drawn dry that ever flows with sweet and strong consolation and is full of Spirit and life where our souls may drink freely at all times and be refreshed with this marrow and fatness that all is finished. Read and Consider Justification By Christ Alone
My desire is, that they into whose hands this shall come, would consider seriously what I have written and know that no man is to be believed upon his bare word. Therefore, search the Scriptures whether these things be so or no. If any thing I have written be not according to them, then let that go. My whole scope and aim in these few lines, is to prove that we are justified by Christ alone. He is our justification. And that we are not justified by any thing that is in us. Faith Is Not The Cause
2. That faith or any thing in us is not a cause, means, or condition, required to partake of the Covenant of Grace, justification or salvation, but only fruits and effects of the Covenant. The Elect Were Ever In the Love of God and Did Ever Appear Before Him As Just and Righteous In Christ

3. That the elect were ever in the love of God, and did ever so appear to Him as just and righteous in and by Christ. We have known and believed the love that God has to us. God is love, and he that dwells in love, dwells in God and God in him. The God of love so unite all the hearts of His people to His truth and one unto another, that so we may walk in the truth, and live and die in love.
Your fellow servant and brother in the

Fellowship of the Saints, who keep
the commandments of God,
and the faith of Jesus.

Samuel Richardson.

Error.

Gen 15:6 And he believed Jehovah; and he reckoned it to him as righteousness. Rom 4:3 for what does the scripture say? And Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness.
4:4 Now to him that works the reward is not reckoned as of grace, but of debt: 4:5 but to him who does not work, but believes on him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness.

Upvote 0

holdon

Aug 3, 2005
✟6,041.00
Faith
Christian
^

John 1:5 And the light shineth in darkness ; and the darkness comprehended it not.

But then this happened:
1:6 There was a man sent from God, his name John.
1:7 He came for witness, that he might witness concerning the light, that all might believe through him. 1:8 *He* was not the light, but that he might witness concerning the light. 1:9 The true light was that which, coming into the world, lightens every man.

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
But then this happened:
1:7 He came for witness, that he might witness concerning the light, that all might believe through him. 1:8 *He* was not the light, but that he might witness concerning the light. 1:9 The true light was that which, coming into the world, lightens every man.

yes it lightens rich poor , slave free , male female , child adult , Jew and Gentile , though none comprehended it , God revealed it to babes , hid it from the wise and lightened the very darkness.

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Error.

Gen 15:6 And he believed Jehovah; and he reckoned it to him as righteousness. Rom 4:3 for what does the scripture say? And Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness.
4:4 Now to him that works the reward is not reckoned as of grace, but of debt: 4:5 but to him who does not work, but believes on him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness.

Answer:
So Phinehas executing judgment was counted, viz.: imputed to him for righteousness unto all generations, Psal. 106:30,31. That is, it was a good act, a righteous action to be commended.
If God did impute Abraham's believing to him for righteousness, then it was made his righteousness. But it was Christ, the object of his faith, Who was his righteousness. Nothing can make us righteous but Christ, "By whose obedience we are made righteous," Rom. 5:19. Righteousness is imputed not faith. So much the word believing does import that our righteousness is else where and not in faith, nor in our selves. For faith apprehends that which is out of us and in another, "the righteousness of Christ," Rom. 4:7, 8, 11. "Who is our righteousness," Jer. 23;6; 1 Cor. 1:30. Our propitiation, Rom. 3:25; 1 John 1:22. Our peace, Eph. 2:14. Our sanctification, Tit. 2:14. Our victorious Conqueror, Col. 2:14,15. Our Redeemer, Savior, eternal life: 1 John 5:11, 12, 20. He who has Him, has all. He that has not Him, has nothing at all.

S R

Upvote 0

holdon

Aug 3, 2005
✟6,041.00
Faith
Christian
Answer:
So Phinehas executing judgment was counted, viz.: imputed to him for righteousness unto all generations, Psal. 106:30,31. That is, it was a good act, a righteous action to be commended.
If God did impute Abraham's believing to him for righteousness, then it was made his righteousness. But it was Christ, the object of his faith, Who was his righteousness. Nothing can make us righteous but Christ, "By whose obedience we are made righteous," Rom. 5:19. Righteousness is imputed not faith. So much the word believing does import that our righteousness is else where and not in faith, nor in our selves. For faith apprehends that which is out of us and in another, "the righteousness of Christ," Rom. 4:7, 8, 11. "Who is our righteousness," Jer. 23;6; 1 Cor. 1:30. Our propitiation, Rom. 3:25; 1 John 1:22. Our peace, Eph. 2:14. Our sanctification, Tit. 2:14. Our victorious Conqueror, Col. 2:14,15. Our Redeemer, Savior, eternal life: 1 John 5:11, 12, 20. He who has Him, has all. He that has not Him, has nothing at all.

S R

Well, I am not sure what you're trying to accomplish. If you take Phinehas imputation of righteousness, then it proves that it was Phinehas' act, that was the imputed to thim as righteousness. I think this undermines your position even further.....

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟667,399.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Cygnus,

Perhaps the question is, why are faith and works thought to be in conflict?

One of my local pastors, of a non-denominational Christian church, explained it like this. Paul, the advocate of faith, and James, the advocate of works, are not contradicting each other. They are both defending the same position but firing in different directions.

Upvote 0

RussT

May 21, 2006
✟15,207.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Condemnation does not merely arise from personal sin , personal sin arises by being in a condemned state . (Romans 5)
According to Romans 5, condemnation did indeed arise from personal sin, namely Adam's sin!

Salvation does not merely arise from personal obedience of faith but by being placed in a justified state , which is unknown until evidenced by faith.
Abraham had faith, faith that God was able to perform what He had promised( Rom.4:21), and it was his faith that was then reckoned to him as righteousness(Rom.4:5,11,12,16)

But the faith of the best is weak and deficient (Luke 17:5), and so could never satisfy the law, which requires a flawless perfection.
Faith doesn't satisfy the Law; that is why we are justified by faith and not by the perfection required by the Law. That is why Paul says we are justified by faith apart from works of the Law(Rom. 3:28). That is why all people, Jew and Gentile alike can be justified, because all can follw the 'steps of the faith of our father Abraham', which he had before the Law, or even circumcision, was given.
your faith , although a Divine Gift, can no more be the actual ground of your Righteousness than your works ...... why ?

because both are imperfect!

Those who see faith as the ground of their Righteousness assume God accepts imperfection ....... if that was the case Christ did not need to die!
And if our faith is the reason for our Justification then Jesus died for nothing , all that was needed was faith!
I don't recall that we are required anywhere in Scripture to have 'perfect' faith.

Tell me , was Thomas , yes doubting Thomas , saved because of his faith or because of the Righteouness that is revealed to faith" (Rom. 1:17)
Yes, he was saved because of his faith. After seeing and touching the wounds of Jesus, he believed.

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
According to Romans 5, condemnation did indeed arise from personal sin, namely Adam's sin!

personal sin means my sin , not what is mine by Original sin.

Abraham had faith, faith that God was able to perform what He had promised( Rom.4:21), and it was his faith that was then reckoned to him as righteousness(Rom.4:5,11,12,16)

no ! not at all , it is the object of faith , CHRIST ; Christ's Righteousness is what justifies us !

Faith doesn't satisfy the Law; that is why we are justified by faith and not by the perfection required by the Law. That is why Paul says we are justified by faith apart from works of the Law(Rom. 3:28). That is why all people, Jew and Gentile alike can be justified, because all can follw the 'steps of the faith of our father Abraham', which he had before the Law, or even circumcision, was given.

law here is used in a general sense , a Law ; obedience . No man is saved because he is obedient , he is saved and by faith receives Christ.
I don't recall that we are required anywhere in Scripture to have 'perfect' faith.

God requires perfection , that is why Christ came...... faith does not JUSTIFY , it proves that we are justified , it is God who Justifies us .

Yes, he was saved because of his faith. After seeing and touching the wounds of Jesus, he believed.

No , Abraham was saved "by" his faith not because of it!

tell me when was Abraham justified ?

Faith is the EVIDENCE of things not seen , not the cause or instigator !

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A Brother In Christ

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2005
Royal city, washington
✟5,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But then this happened:

if so all men would believe 2 cor 4:3-6... yet they do not

Upvote 0

nobdysfool

The original! Accept no substitutes!
Feb 23, 2003
Home, except when I'm not....
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Wow, how did you get to that conclusion? The light is available to all. They just have to "receive" it.
Which implies a moral neutrality in man that doesn't exist

Upvote 0

A Brother In Christ

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2005
Royal city, washington
✟5,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
if so all men would believe 2 cor 4:3-6... yet they do not

Wow, how did you get to that conclusion? The light is available to all. They just have to "receive" it.

lets look at the scripture....

2 cor 4:3 Since our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

mk 4:9-12, eph 1:4 , 1 john 3:10

2 cor 4:4 In whom the god of this age hath blinded the minds of them that believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

eph 2:2

2 cor 4:6 For God who commanded the light to shine out darkness hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

Trinity as the three person each has a job to do!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

holdon

Aug 3, 2005
✟6,041.00
Faith
Christian
lets look at the scripture....

2 cor 4:3 Since our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
Well, if you really look at scripture you will see that they are blinded/hardened because of themselves: 2 Cor 3:14 and entire context.
mk 4:9-12, eph 1:4 , 1 john 3:10
Mk 4, same thing: they don't want to receive. See also Mk 3:5. But once you're "within" you will understand.... say Jesus. Don't know what Eph 1:4 has to with this and 1 Jn 3:10 is about results.
2 cor 4:4 In whom the god of this age hath blinded the minds of them that believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
So, the god of this age has blinded them. Why? Because they're still listening to the old covenant, which Christ has annulled.
2 cor 4:6 For God who commanded the light to shine out darkness hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
Yes, once Paul converted of course.

Upvote 0

A Brother In Christ

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2005
Royal city, washington
✟5,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, if you really look at scripture you will see that they are blinded/hardened because of themselves: 2 Cor 3:14 and entire context.
I read both
the person denying God good news .. 1cor 1:18-25
and the Holy Spirit not paving a way for the Good news .. heb 1:14, john 16:7-11

Eph 1:4 is about the Father pick an elect one
just as He chose Jacob over Essau romans 9
Mk 4, same thing: they don't want to receive. See also Mk 3:5. But once you're "within" you will understand.... say Jesus. Don't know what Eph 1:4 has to with this and 1 Jn 3:10 is about results. [/size]So, the god of this age has blinded them. Why? Because they're still listening to the old covenant, which Christ has annulled. Yes, once Paul converted of course.

Heb 4:3 works where done before the world began thus we can rest in Him heb 4:9

Upvote 0

holdon

Aug 3, 2005
✟6,041.00
Faith
Christian
I read both
After one hardens his heart, God may harden his heart (as judgment) on top of that, from where it seems impossible to revert.
the person denying God good news .. 1cor 1:18-25
This is about the manner in which the gospel was preached. Not the form, but the substance was important. Not sophistication, but the hard fact of the cross.
and the Holy Spirit not paving a way for the Good news .. heb 1:14,
I don't see this text in relation to salvation: they are (to be) saved already. (salvation has different meanings)
john 16:7-11
Here I think it is the work of the Holy Spirit in general. He gives convincing evidence to all. Of course this supposes the word to be preached. But not a selection by the Holy Spirit as to who He will convince or not.
Eph 1:4 is about the Father pick an elect one
just as He chose Jacob over Essau romans 9
No, this is a misconception. Eph. 1:4 is about the fact that He chose us in Christ before the world's foundation. It doesn't say: to be saved, or: to have eternal life, but: that we might be holy and blameless in love before Him. That is: that we might be in perfect relationship with Him. In the same relationship as Christ. That the sin problem came in between is another matter. Whether there was sin or not, still it was in God's heart that we should be there in His Beloved.
Romans 9 where Jacob is getting a higher position than Esau, is not about salvation either. But here it is with respect to the earthly blessings through the promises. It's not about eternal life.
Heb 4:3 works where done before the world began thus we can rest in Him heb 4:9

Heb 4:3 is about the works "from" the foundation of the world. Not "before".

"For we enter into the rest who have believed; as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, If they shall enter into my rest; although the works had been completed from the foundation of the world." It's about the sabbath rest after the creation works were completed.

Upvote 0

RussT

May 21, 2006
✟15,207.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
personal sin means my sin , not what is mine by Original sin.

Condemnation of the human race resulted from the personal sin of Adam.(see Rom. 5:12,15,16,17,18,19) These verses speak of sin entering the world and death through sin, and the result being condemnation.

Upvote 0

A Brother In Christ

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2005
Royal city, washington
✟5,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
After one hardens his heart, God may harden his heart (as judgment) on top of that, from where it seems impossible to revert. This is about the manner in which the gospel was preached. Not the form, but the substance was important. Not sophistication, but the hard fact of the cross. I don't see this text in relation to salvation: they are (to be) saved already. (salvation has different meanings) Here I think it is the work of the Holy Spirit in general. He gives convincing evidence to all. Of course this supposes the word to be preached. But not a selection by the Holy Spirit as to who He will convince or not. No, this is a misconception. Eph. 1:4 is about the fact that He chose us in Christ before the world's foundation. It doesn't say: to be saved, or: to have eternal life, but: that we might be holy and blameless in love before Him. That is: that we might be in perfect relationship with Him. In the same relationship as Christ. That the sin problem came in between is another matter. Whether there was sin or not, still it was in God's heart that we should be there in His Beloved.
Romans 9 where Jacob is getting a higher position than Esau, is not about salvation either. But here it is with respect to the earthly blessings through the promises. It's not about eternal life.

Heb 4:3 is about the works "from" the foundation of the world. Not "before".

"For we enter into the rest who have believed; as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, If they shall enter into my rest; although the works had been completed from the foundation of the world." It's about the sabbath rest after the creation works were completed.
John 6:29 God work for them to believe...

1 cor 3:5-8 one man planteth, another watereth.. God giveth the increase

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.