Just for once let us all try to be honest.

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
So do we both agree that the earth was round then?

Good!

Next step:

Will you agree with me that the Bible says the devil showed Jesus all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time?

Luke 4:5 And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.

You should not use vague terms like "round". A flat circle is round, so is a sphere. The writers of the Bible clearly thought the Earth was flat. If anything they used the Hebrew word for an inscribed circle, you cannot get much more two dimensional than that, not a word that could be interpreted as a sphere, and yes, they had words for spheres back then.

So you may believe the Earth is a sphere, your Bible doesn't.

And the Devil took Jesus up a mountain to show him the whole world. That only makes sense on a Flat Earth.

So yes, you just verified one of the times that the Bible implies very strongly that the Earth is flat.
Very good AV!

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You should not use vague terms like "round".

Okay ... I'm easy ... and cooperative.

So do we both agree that the earth was a sphere then?

Good!

Next step:

Will you agree with me that the Bible says the devil showed Jesus all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time?

Luke 4:5 And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Okay ... I'm easy ... and cooperative.

So do we both agree that the earth was a sphere then?

Good!

Next step:

Yes, so clearly that was a false story. At least if you want to believe that the world was a sphere then.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, so clearly that was a false story. At least if you want to believe that the world was a sphere then.
Okay ... so we both agree:

1. The earth was a sphere back then.

2. The Bible says the devil took Jesus up into an exceeding high mountain and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.

Good!

Next step -- (this one's tough):

How can we make this into a win-win scenario for literal Bible believers, without disrespecting what was written?

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Okay ... so we both agree:

1. The earth was a sphere back then.

2. The Bible says the devil took Jesus up into an exceeding high mountain and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.

Good!

Next step -- (this one's tough):

How can we make this into a win-win scenario for literal Bible believers, without disrespecting what was written?

Easy, we can't.

Well, I suppose you could be dishonest and try to change the meaning of the Bible. But wouldn't that be blasphemy?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Easy, we can't.

You mean to tell me there is no way the devil can show Jesus (or anyone) the nations of the earth in a moment of time?

Perhaps you're giving up too soon here?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
You mean to tell me there is no way the devil can show Jesus (or anyone) the nations of the earth in a moment of time?

Perhaps you're giving up too soon here?

No, I haven't given up. It is the logical answer.

If the devil could have shown Jesus the whole Earth then there was no point in the mountain trip.

You are too ready to change the Bible to fit the facts. If the Bible was true you wouldn't have to do so.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Hmmm ... I gave you 13 minutes ... you gave me 5.

Someone's a little too impatient, isn't he?

No wondering you're giving up already -- (if you are).

Really? It seemed a lot longer. Besides I first tried to copy your link and it did not work correctly so I went to YouTube and used the longer version, you do need to think a bit more for your answers.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You are too ready to change the Bible to fit the facts.

What have I changed?

You've been agreeing me so far.

Up until step 3, then suddenly you go 404.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
What have I changed?

Really? You have to ask?

You have changed the obvious flat Earth nature of the Bible writers. That is not the only place where the geometry of a situation only works with a flat Earth. In Revelation the coming of certain people on a cloud is observed world wide. That only works with a flat Earth. In Isaiah a tall tree is climbed to see the entire world. No devil involved in either of those. That only works with a flat Earth as well. And then there are the verses the use the word for inscribed circle. Mistranslated by apologists as the word for "round". One reference after another that shows a flat Earth.

The fact is that the writers of the Bible were far from perfect and the Bible echoes those flaws.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
What have I changed?

Nope, that would be you.

Why are you trying to change the Bible?

Is it because you know that the Earth is not flat?

What happened to the Bible says it that settles it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Really? You have to ask?

You have changed the obvious flat Earth nature of the Bible writers. That is not the only place where the geometry of a situation only works with a flat Earth. In Revelation the coming of certain people on a cloud is observed world wide. That only works with a flat Earth. In Isaiah a tall tree is climbed to see the entire world. No devil involved in either of those. That only works with a flat Earth as well. And then there are the verses the use the word for inscribed circle. Mistranslated by apologists as the word for "round". One reference after another that shows a flat Earth.

The fact is that the writers of the Bible were far from perfect and the Bible echoes those flaws.
Well if you're not willing to cooperate with me to give this ... um ... dilemma a win-win score, I guess I can't help you.

Here ... I'll even quote Adam Clarke for you:
If the words, all the kingdoms of the world, be taken in a literal sense, then this must have been a visionary representation, as the highest mountain on the face of the globe could not suffice to make evident even one hemisphere of the earth, and the other must of necessity be in darkness.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Well if you're not willing to cooperate with me to give this ... um ... dilemma a win-win score, I guess I can't help you.

Here ... I'll even quote Adam Clarke for you:

Yes, he was desperate too.

Sometimes there is no win-win situation. I am sorry but this one you lose. If it was a one time event you might have been able to claim "perhaps it was supposed to be a vision". But the same geometry fail occurred three separate unrelated times. That shows that they thought the Earth was flat.

Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What happened to the Bible says it that settles it?

Not a thing.

The Bible says it, that settles it.

All I'm doing by making up this slideshow explanation is demonstrating how the earth can be a sphere, yet still be presented to someone in a moment of time.

On a high mountain, or at sea level -- it makes no difference.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Not a thing.

The Bible says it, that settles it.

All I'm doing by making up this slideshow explanation is demonstrating how the earth can be a sphere, yet still be presented to someone in a moment of time.

On a high mountain, or at sea level -- it makes no difference.

In other words AV just joined the Flat Earth Society.

And again, this was not the only time that geometry fail occurred. As the saying goes, three strikes and you are out.

Why doesn't it simply say "the devil showed Jesus a vision of the world"?

Upvote 0