Just A Drivers License....yea, Right!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mouth Nana

Post Tribulationist
Sep 9, 2003
Bakersfield,California
Visit site
✟15,590.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LEGISLATION SETS STAGE FOR UNIFORM DRIVERS LICENSES
By Donna Leinwand, USA TODAY

Here we go now. This is going to get real interesting where the US goes with this. They are already talking about the chip for our cars in California. Pretty soon, everything will be chipped so they can find you....for whatever reason:eek: .

WASHINGTON — The anti-terrorism bill to be signed by President Bush on Friday opens the door for people across the nation to have similar driver's licenses, a plan that is fueling a debate over whether security concerns will lead to what amounts to a national identification card.

news_frame_object_top_left
news_frame_object_top_right

Officials say the plan would reduce counterfeiting. Shown here are fake New Jersey ID cards.

The bill, which largely is aimed at improving the nation's intelligence-gathering operations, instructs the departments of Homeland Security and Transportation to meet with the nation's governors and state motor vehicle administrators to set uniform security standards for driver's licenses within 18 months.

Such measures could include difficult-to-duplicate holograms, encrypted magnetic strips and other embedded security features. A few states have begun including such features on licenses; Minnesota unveiled a license this month that includes a digital "watermark" and fine lines that are visible only under ultraviolet light.

The American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators, a Virginia-based group that represents administrators in all 50 states, has long called for standardization of licenses, in part because of the ease with which criminals, illegal immigrants, alcohol-seeking teenagers and others have been able to produce and obtain fake licenses.

The 9/11 terrorist attacks made licensing a national security issue by putting a spotlight on how foreigners seeking to harm the United States could fraudulently obtain licenses. Several of the suicide hijackers got driver's licenses legally, but scrutiny of the hijackers' activities showed, among other things, that they knew licenses could be obtained with little documentation.

Civil liberties groups and other critics say the move by Congress to standardize information on driver's licenses and force states to adopt tough anti-fraud measures is the first step toward a system that could encroach on privacy rights.

The American Civil Liberties Union says that such licenses could give the government a way to have citizens carry cards that eventually could be used to reveal a range of private information, including where people go and what they do. First time I have ever agreed with the ACLU.

"It's just a matter of time and (the government's) own discretion about what kind of data that could be contained on that ID card," says Larry Pratt, executive director of the Gun Owners of America, another group critical of national licenses. "How much of a fish bowl will the average American be living in?"

Pratt's organization joined with the ACLU in buying a newspaper ad opposing the measure before it was passed by Congress this month. He says he worries that the government might link databases of gun ownership to driver's licenses.

Although Congress' chief intent is to prevent fraud, its bill sets up a structure for a national ID card, ACLU attorney Marv Johnson says.

He worries that advances in technology would allow the U.S. government to install radio frequency chips in driver's licenses that would allow information on the licenses to be accessed by readers several feet away.

Initial legislation in the U.S. House would have linked federal databases to driver's licenses, Johnson says. "Now you've made it easier to keep track of people," he says. "It's a fairly frightening scenario. We've never been a country in which you've had to show your papers."

The American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators in Arlington, Va., has promoted national standards for years to try to help states prevent document fraud and fake IDs, spokesman Jason King says.

"We don't want someone shopping around for a state with the weakest driver's license practices," King said. "All this means is that we're building a more credible ID. The bottom line is, the sky is not falling."

The 9/11 Commission, the independent panel that made recommendations to Congress on ways to prevent future terrorist attacks, urged the government to take steps to halt ID fraud, says Leslie Phillips, spokeswoman for Sen. Joe Lieberman, D-Conn., who co-authored the original bill.

"In no way is (the bill) intended (to create) a national ID," Phillips says. "This applies only to drivers. The point is to ensure the identity of the person using the identification card. ... We are trying to balance the rights of the citizens and the need for the country to crack down on terrorists."

She notes that the bill would not have prevented the 9/11 terrorists from getting driver's licenses. The terrorists obtained licenses legally, using valid documents, Phillips says. She says Congress hopes the bill will deter terrorists from making fake IDs or using aliases.

Big Mouth Nana

Post Tribulationist
Sep 9, 2003
Bakersfield,California
Visit site
✟15,590.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Acts6:5 said:
Oh, the horror!
scared07.gif
Your sarcasm is coming right through my desktop Acts 6:5. If I didn't know you on here, I might believe the, "Oh, the horror", but since I do..................... .

Upvote 0

Brain Damage

Generally Medicated
Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
✟18,745.00
Faith
Christian
Big Mouth Nana said:
Your sarcasm is coming right through my desktop Acts 6:5. If I didn't know you on here, I might believe the, "Oh, the horror", but since I do..................... .

LOL ...good one!! ..:thumbsup:

And don't worry , it's been noticed that he seems to enjoy puting you down.

I still can't figure out why preterists hang around an eschatology forum , they don't believe in it , so what do they hope to gain.

Upvote 0

NumberOneSon

The poster formerly known as Acts6:5
Mar 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟22,170.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Big Mouth Nana said:
Glad to see you understood I was just injecting a little humor. At least you got it :thumbsup:.

In Christ,

Acts6:5

Upvote 0

NumberOneSon

Mar 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟22,170.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Brain Damage said:
And don't worry , it's been noticed that he seems to enjoy puting you down.
Are you kidding me? No, I do not put her down, but I do try to challenge some of the theories that she and others put on this forum at times. And coincidentally, I can't begin to count how many times preterists have been put down here over the past 3 years, myself included.

Have you also tried to notice the times I actually do agree with BMN and just try to be friendly, or are those times simply overlooked?

Brain Damage said:
I still can't figure out why preterists hang around an eschatology forum , they don't believe in it , so what do they hope to gain.
Because Preterism is just as much a part of eschatology as futurism is! Last I checked, this forum wasn't called "Futurism/Dispensationalism Only"...it's called Eschatology, where ALL views found within that theological spectrum are welcome to be cheered as well as challenged (except full preterism, of course). I'm a partial Preterist and I believe in Christ's future return, so of course I believe in Eschatology; I just don't believe in many of the End Times theories that some have posted here. What's so hard to understand about that?

Come on, Brain, we've had good interactions in the past; your reaction here is quite unexpected. I think you and others read entirely too much into a humorous cliche and a blue emoticon.

In Christ,

Upvote 0

Big Mouth Nana

Post Tribulationist
Sep 9, 2003
Bakersfield,California
Visit site
✟15,590.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Glad to see you understood I was just injecting a little humor. At least you got it :thumbsup:.

In Christ,

Oh, I got it alright. Your brand of humor toward me is SO evident. It's not akin to humor, but sarcastic. I have read posts by you, and let's say OhhJim when you are displaying your humor. That is humor there. If it is something that I have said, it's sarcasm. You reserve your sarcasm when you disagree with me, but not others. Mind you, I have pretty much accepted your "snide" posts to me. I can almost see in the humor part of my mind, that when you see my username, your eyes bug out, you break out into a sweat, and you are on the hunt to kill the poor old ladys "so called theories". If you want to try and kill them, fine, but please afford me the same maturity and courtesy that you give to others. Recall some weeks back, I mentioned you "putting me down"?
If you disagree with one of my posts, then say why you disagree, without one liners such as....Oh, the horror
scared07.gif
. It would be so much more interesting that way to read your views.
There have been only a few times on here where you and I have had some decent conversations, but they were not really about Escatology, just nonsensical things. I know that we can talk on the same level Acts 6:5. It has been done before, and ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE................

Upvote 0

Big Mouth Nana

Post Tribulationist
Sep 9, 2003
Bakersfield,California
Visit site
✟15,590.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And coincidentally, I can't begin to count how many times preterists have been put down here over the past 3 years, myself included.
So, is that a good reason to have the attitude with us who believe in prophecies coming to pass, ME especially?

Have you also tried to notice the times I actually do agree with BMN and just try to be friendly, or are those times simply overlooked?
Uh, let me count the times....okay, I filled up half of the fingers on one hand, so that leaves maybe 2 fingers and a thumb left. The reason they are over-looked, is because they are so rare, the are almost non-existant ^_^ .

I'm a partial Preterist and I believe in Christ's future return, so of course I believe in Eschatology; I just don't believe in many of the End Times theories that some have posted here. What's so hard to understand about that?
Yes, you may believe in Christs return, but it is evident that you do not believe in some of the aspects of end times prophecies as many of us do on here. Since you do not believe in them, you get the "tude" without explaining why you don't believe in such and such. I don't know if there is anyone on here who is a mind reader, who knows just what you believe, but I sure don't. I am assuming that you believe that all or certain things have been fullfilled, just not Christs return? How can someone who believes in just Christs return, and not the "signs" of His return, have a clue of the signs to watch for if they believe that they have already happened :scratch: . Of course this is depending on which ones you believe haven't been fullfilled yet.

I think you and others read entirely too much into a humorous cliche and a blue emoticon.
See, it's not only me who saw the intent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Big Mouth Nana

Post Tribulationist
Sep 9, 2003
Bakersfield,California
Visit site
✟15,590.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
applepowerpc said:
My wife just got a mail saying her Driver's License has been "alarmed" until she fixes her records with the Social Security Administration. That was interesting.
Alarmed???!!! What in the world does that mean applepowerpc? I think that I would call the DMV and ask them. I sure would. My drivers license comes up for renewal in May. I can't wait to see what comes up.

Upvote 0

OhhJim

Often wrong, but never in doubt
Aug 19, 2004
Walnut Creek, CA
✟6,051.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Disagreement doesn't automatically equal mocking and scorn. Wanting to verify the message doesn't equal sarcasm and snide remarks. There's nothing wrong with challenging someone to support one's beliefs with scripture or logic. And it's easy for me to understand why one might hang out in a forum where there are people one disagrees with.

I am NOT a preterist. I am pre-trib all the way, but I am willing to admit I could be wrong. I have learned some things from the people here who I disagree with. I enjoy reading opinions other than mine. Is it possible that any of us here is right about EVERYTHING?

Upvote 0

NumberOneSon

Mar 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟22,170.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Big Mouth Nana said:
Oh, I got it alright. Your brand of humor toward me is SO evident. It's not akin to humor, but sarcastic.
I've spent the past hour reading over my last 100 posts (since the search only gives you 100), and they go back about a month and a half (to Nov 1st). Out of those 100, there were 22 posts that I wrote to you, whether they were one sentence answers or 4 paged behemoths. Out of those 22, there were 7 instances in which I said something genuinely funny to you or was very friendly, with no hint of sacrasm. Inversely, I could only find 3-4 instances where I posted even a line of sarcasm, and one of them is on this thread. In fact, out of the last 100 posts, I only found 7 total instances of sarcasm in all of my posts, while I found 16 instances where I offered genuine humor, encouragement, and good will toward other posters, including you.

So your summation of my brand of humor toward you is far from evident in my posts. Granted, one or two of those sarcastic remarks came within the past week or so, so I can understand why they would be fresh in your mind, but you've greatly exaggerated your claim. Yes, I have written a couple sarcastic barbs, but I have also displayed genuine humor toward you as well.

Big Mouth Nana said:
I have read posts by you, and let's say OhhJim when you are displaying your humor. That is humor there. If it is something that I have said, it's sarcasm. You reserve your sarcasm when you disagree with me, but not others.
For example, I thought my comment on the List the PreTrib verses... thread was a bit of innocent humor directed toward something you had said. It was just a good natured joke. I also joked around with you about my wife and about being a premmy on another thread. Are those not examples of humor?

And by my count, half of the 7 sarcastic lines in my last 100 posts were directed toward posters other than you. So no, I have not spared others when it comes to sarcastic one-liners.

Big Mouth Nana said:
Mind you, I have pretty much accepted your "snide" posts to me. I can almost see in the humor part of my mind, that when you see my username, your eyes bug out, you break out into a sweat, and you are on the hunt to kill the poor old ladys "so called theories".
Well, all I can say is I believe you're thinking a little too highly of yourself here. I've debated the theories of many people over the past 3 years here...you being only one of many. You're right about the "sweating" part, but that's only because my computer is in the basement and it's always hot down there (see...some friendly humor).

Big Mouth Nana said:
If you want to try and kill them, fine, but please afford me the same maturity and courtesy that you give to others. Recall some weeks back, I mentioned you "putting me down"?
In the past you mentioned me trying to “set traps” or “discrediting” you (which I have never, ever done by the way), but I don't remember you ever saying I "put you down". But I am sorry if I have offended you in any way (I don't set out to offend anyone in my posts) and I will try to keep my sarcasm to a minimum (fewer than 7 out of 100 posts, I guess ;) ).

Big Mouth Nana said:
If you disagree with one of my posts, then say why you disagree, without one liners such as....Oh, the horror
scared07.gif
. It would be so much more interesting that way to read your views.
I pretty much try to go out of my way to explain my views in as much detail as possible. One liners are not normal for me (unless I'm just tired and don't feel like writing). Actually, my posts tend to be on the long side....you even commented on that recently. But don't worry...sarcastic one-liners are out the door.

Big Mouth Nana said:
There have been only a few times on here where you and I have had some decent conversations, but they were not really about Escatology, just nonsensical things. I know that we can talk on the same level Acts 6:5. It has been done before, and ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE................
In the past month we've have many more positive discussions than negative ones. 18 out of 22 isn't bad. You're actually the one poster I've opened up to the most in my 3 years on this forum, so things can't be that bad. So I'm sorry if I've offended you on this thread. I didn't realize it would get such a reaction out of you or I wouldn't have posted it. Talk to you later.

In Christ,

Upvote 0

Brain Damage

Generally Medicated
Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
✟18,745.00
Faith
Christian
Come on, Brain, we've had good interactions in the past; your reaction here is quite unexpected. I think you and others read entirely too much into a humorous cliche and a blue emoticon.

In Christ,

Acts6:5[/QUOTE

It's not just this thread but i have noticed you getting on her case on a number of occasions to the point where i once PMed her to find out what the go was between you two.

Anyway all this doesn't matter , it's been said now and that's the end of it as far as i'm concerned.

BTW... I have nothing against you Acts , you are one of the few preterists that i don't mind conversing with , you seem like a nice fella and you have a good logical mind and your imput is needed , you just need to lighten up on people who may not have the same logical thought processors as your self , or who come from a different church background.

Any way back to buisness....:wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟48,052.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Acts6:5 why can't you just apologize? Is it something within you that keeps you from doing so? Odviously others here were somewhat offended with the comment you made. What's wrong with just saying you're sorry but your comment was not understood correctly? The way I see it there are people here who didn't take what you said as humourous and Actually for me that kind of humour isn't funny or cute no matter who does it but that's neither here nor there.

You can write as long as you want about how you see yourself and your attitudes in this forum but the point is that it isn't what you think of yourself but how others view you. It simply doesn't matter in the slightest that you believe you haven't been disrespectful to others. The point is others have felt disrespected and when that happends an apology is always desireable and in fact expected. In fact I would say that your whole last post is a further sign of showing disrespect.

I mean right now I don't understand your reasoning at all. When I offend someone with my humour, and I have, I don't make excuses and reason out how I have not offended them but I apologize and say "I'm sorry but that is not what I meant". By everything you have said so far tells me that you don't care weather you have offended anyone and don't care weather you have been misunderstood and this can only lead me to believe that your original intentions were to offend. It shows you were only out to humour yourself at the expense of others. Not to laugh with them but at them.

I hope you at least consider what I have said.

God bless

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟48,052.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello Big Mouth Nana

I hope you realize that what the government wants to do with these licenes is a needed action to fight the war on terror and is one of the many things the 911 commission suggested. We just can't go on with business as usual in this country.

As for your concerns and or worries about it I guess there is always a chance that any new system could be abused, we will have to see. But by and large these new measures are only going to be used to prevent other terrorist attacks. Yeah I suppose if America was ruled under a dictatorship without any chacks or balances I too would have major concerns about these new measures but we are in a democracy with many well meaning people with only good intentions to prevent another terrorist attack on our soil.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟48,052.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes Acts6:5 you did give her a heart felt apology in that last paragraph you wrote. The one paragraph I had just glanced over. And now you deserve a heart felt apology from me, :sorry: perhaps I should pay more attention to the whole post and not just 90% of it. Please disreguard the post I made to you and I pray you and BMN patch things up before too long!

Upvote 0

NumberOneSon

Mar 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟22,170.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
nephilimiyr said:
Yes Acts6:5 you did give her a heart felt apology in that last paragraph you wrote. The one paragraph I had just glanced over. And now you deserve a heart felt apology from me, :sorry: perhaps I should pay more attention to the whole post and not just 90% of it. Please disreguard the post I made to you and I pray you and BMN patch things up before too long!
No problem, my friend. I remember having a previous discussion with you (on covenants, I think it was), and I enjoyed it immensely.

In Christ,

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.