Jordan Peterson slams Pope Francis’ fixation on ‘climate change’: ‘He should be saving souls’

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Saving souls is ‘how you save the planet, not by worshipping Gaia,’ Jordan Peterson said, criticizing ‘contemptible’ efforts to make the Church ‘more relevant’ since the ‘60s and Vatican II.

TORONTO (LifeSiteNews) — Prominent Canadian anti-woke psychologist Jordan Peterson blasted Pope Francis for neglecting the salvation of souls and focusing on “climate change” and criticized attempts to make the Catholic Church “relevant” since the 1960s and the Second Vatican Council.

lg.php

On February 11, Peterson joined Eternal Word Television Network (EWTN) reporter Colm Flynn to discuss a sundry of topics, including his wife Tammy’s miraculous recovery from cancer, the widespread loss of faith in the Catholic Church since the 1960s, and Pope Francis’ fixation on “climate change.”

“That’s not working. It’s shallow,” he said, slamming the “guitar and hippies” that proliferated in the Church following the ’60s and Vatican II.

Continued below.

• Informative
Reactions: St_Worm2

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The first thought I had when reading this post : "Who the ever-loving fascination is Jorden Peterson?"

My second thought: "Being Anti-Woke is sooooo last week"

Anyway, I had to actually internet search this guy.

Why would I, as a Catholic, having any reason to listen to what this guy thinks about how the Church should be run

Chuckles the Clown has more cred.

Or course, Chuckles the Clown has more cred then Lifesitenews, but still, where did they dig this guy up?

On second thought:

Don't answer, I don't care.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
People keep complaining about LSN but it’s funny I can always find an original source for the things they post. Do I like their style? Not particularly but it does not negate the fact that it happened. The post is right there in the article.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,239,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Saving souls is ‘how you save the planet, not by worshipping Gaia,’ Jordan Peterson said, criticizing ‘contemptible’ efforts to make the Church ‘more relevant’ since the ‘60s and Vatican II.

TORONTO (LifeSiteNews) — Prominent Canadian anti-woke psychologist Jordan Peterson blasted Pope Francis for neglecting the salvation of souls and focusing on “climate change” and criticized attempts to make the Catholic Church “relevant” since the 1960s and the Second Vatican Council.

lg.php

On February 11, Peterson joined Eternal Word Television Network (EWTN) reporter Colm Flynn to discuss a sundry of topics, including his wife Tammy’s miraculous recovery from cancer, the widespread loss of faith in the Catholic Church since the 1960s, and Pope Francis’ fixation on “climate change.”

“That’s not working. It’s shallow,” he said, slamming the “guitar and hippies” that proliferated in the Church following the ’60s and Vatican II.

Continued below.
The interview video:

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,239,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
X ?

Really, X is full of NAZIs, Fascists and Russian Bot's. I wouldn't log into X with your machine. (To twist a phase)
That letter formerly known as Twitter is full of lots of things, including the whole woke spectrum. But don't worry. I don't have an account with them. You don't need an account to follow a link.

I suspect you are studiously not going to watch the Jordan Peterson interview. That's OK.

• Agree
Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0

DJWhalen

When God steps in, miracles happen.
Feb 13, 2024
Indianapolis Indiana
✟13,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
People keep complaining about LSN but it’s funny I can always find an original source for the things they post. Do I like their style? Not particularly but it does not negate the fact that it happened. The post is right there in the article.

He is walking a dangerous path. He knows a little about God but he doesn't say that Jesus is his Savoir.
I will pray for him.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
From what I hear he’s inches from a conversion himself after being at his wife’s side for her confirmation on Easter at the Vatican. I imagine spending time around Matt Walsh and Michael Knowles has pushed him that direction. Not to mention his ringside seats to his wife’s conversion. He’s a brilliant guy, and if/when he enters the Church he’ll be a valuable asset in the defense of the Church. I do wonder if he’s held up by this pontificate though, I wouldn’t blame him. And he’s right in his original comment too (taken from an interview with Colm, btw, our Rome correspondent here at EWTN).

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From what I hear he’s inches from a conversion himself after being at his wife’s side for her confirmation on Easter at the Vatican. I imagine spending time around Matt Walsh and Michael Knowles has pushed him that direction. Not to mention his ringside seats to his wife’s conversion. He’s a brilliant guy, and if/when he enters the Church he’ll be a valuable asset in the defense of the Church. I do wonder if he’s held up by this pontificate though, I wouldn’t blame him. And he’s right in his original comment too (taken from an interview with Colm, btw, our Rome correspondent here at EWTN).
He just said he does not see himself converting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,239,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
From what I hear he’s inches from a conversion himself after being at his wife’s side for her confirmation on Easter at the Vatican. I imagine spending time around Matt Walsh and Michael Knowles has pushed him that direction. Not to mention his ringside seats to his wife’s conversion.
He's had the ringside seat and yet he sits in his seat. I think he likes where he is at. He's comfortable.
He’s a brilliant guy, and if/when he enters the Church he’ll be a valuable asset in the defense of the Church.
Maybe.
I do wonder if he’s held up by this pontificate though, I wouldn’t blame him.
While I wouldn't 'blame him' we should be willing to follow truth in season and out.
And he’s right in his original comment too (taken from an interview with Colm, btw, our Rome correspondent here at EWTN).
Yes, pope Francis should have a fixation on saving souls.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,832.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Catholics should return to a Classical Metaphysical view of creation and thus "the environment".

One of the major changes in thought that hallmarks modernity is the view of knowledge. In classical philosophy knowledge was viewed as its own reward. As Aristotle said in his Metaphysics, "All men desire to know". Seeking knowledge in this view is essentially an act of love. The pursuit of knowledge is an act of wonder and a pursuit of Truth, Beauty, and Goodness.

The modern view of knowledge is defined by Francis Bacon's famous dictum that "Knowledge is power". In other words, knowledge is utilitarian. It is fundamentally about control and exploitation. Knowledge gives power over nature to bend it to your will and use it for your own purposes.

For much of the modern era, the primary goal of much of western intellectual pursuit was the conquest of nature. Gathering power through knowledge to put man in a position of absolute control over nature.

Consider the interesting interplay between Bacon's axiom and that made famous by Lord Acton "power tends to corrupt..."

When knowledge is viewed as purely utilitarian, and a means to power, knowledge itself become a corrupting influence.

The Classical Metaphysical view is a teleological view. Everything is given its own identity by God, and it's identity is also its purpose. Everything is perfected in being itself. We don't need to dominate nature and exploit it in order to benefit from it. If we tend it, steward it, and help it to be itself as God intended it to be, it will benefit us much more.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah it was a big rumor for quite some time. But things could change…
That's true, things can always change! Especially now that he'll be shoulder to shoulder with his wife who's now fully practicing the faith. Hopefully her pursuits and her lifestyle connect him with Catholics that "speak his language" and pique his curiosity, maybe like Trent Horn?
He's had the ringside seat and yet he sits in his seat. I think he likes where he is at. He's comfortable.

Maybe.

While I wouldn't 'blame him' we should be willing to follow truth in season and out.

Yes, pope Francis should have a fixation on saving souls.
That wouldn't surprise me. Some people think just dipping a toe is a cannonball. And I agree 100% on the last part.

Upvote 0

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟333,311.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure why this should be seen as an either/or.

God entrusted the stewardship of this planet and its resources to the human race. As Christians, we should take that responsibility seriously. And if we're not, then we are failing to live up to our calling in this regard. And any time we fail to live up to what God requires of us, it impacts our souls in a negative way. Doesn't it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums