Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Essentially the event was a memorial/mourning for the victims regardless of the name. If the minister went there and prayed to God then it really should not matter who else was there. If it is the case of the christian minister praying to Allah then he should be sacked not reprimanded. I personally doubt the minister was doing that. Since he wasn't then why say anything at all? If he has felt the need to apologise even though he believes he did nothing wrong then where is the pressure to do so coming from if there was no complaint. His apology was accepted by the president. If the president thought nothing wrong was done then why not say there is no need for an apology? Sorry but it is just petty squabble. If they can not see the value of meeting with other denominations and other faiths then they clearly have no clue about christianity and should resign.

See my post above yours.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
see my post above!

I can be just as pointless. Do you have anything to add?

Wow, huh... Might I suggest laying off the caffiene? :dontcare:

What do you want me to add? The president made a public apology to the pastor and revised/clarified his remarks to what I was saying.

I made the mistake of not checking the link to be sure that info was in there, and apologized for the confusion. My post was just before your own, so I referred you to it. Want another apology? Okay, I'm sorry.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow, huh... Might I suggest laying off the caffiene? :dontcare:

What do you want me to add? The president made a public apology to the pastor and revised/clarified his remarks to what I was saying.

I made the mistake of not checking the link to be sure that info was in there, and apologized for the confusion. My post was just before your own, so I referred you to it. Want another apology? Okay, I'm sorry.
Well my turn to apologise! I looked back but didn't see the post you made although now I look again it is there!

I will say that anyone who considered it to be a joint service that they must consider it a joint service if a non-christian enters the church. There is no difference. To be honest I don't think much of the apology by the president of LCMS. It still leaves an impression that they believe it was joint worship. There do not clearly state that it was not joint worship. They actually urge people not to take action against the minister due to it not being helpful in resolving the situation rather than saying don't take action because it was not joint worship.

Upvote 0
A

Adaephon

Feb. 7, 2013

Religion

http://www.worldmag.com/media/images/content/576_576_/rob_morris.jpgAssociated Press/Photo by Newtown Bee, Shannon Hicks
Rev. Rob Morris
A Lutheran pastor in Newtown, Conn., apologized today for taking part in an interfaith vigil after December’s mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
The Rev. Rob Morris’ apology came after The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod reprimanded him, for giving the closing benediction at a Dec. 16 service that included Christian, Jewish, and Muslim leaders, among others. His participation inadvertently gave the impression he was involved in joint worship with clergy from other religions, the church said. The denomination bars joint worship because it doesn’t want to appear to mix its beliefs with those of other faiths.
The rest of the article is here.

I am shocked! What would Jesus do or say? I bolded and underlined the last part of the snippet.

I hope this is in the right section. I maybe should have put it in the Lutheran forum, (is there one?) but I wanted it to get a lot of attention and feedback.
I was speechless when I read this. That's why I had to share to get others thoughts. Is this what Jesus would have done? Especially with the tragedy of Newtown prompting the call to prayer?

:o

Yes, I think Jesus would refuse to conduct services with a pagan priest.

Upvote 0
A

Adaephon

I do not.

Ok, well, most Christians disagree, as do the Church Fathers, and this member of the clergy's superiors who believe he acted inappropriately and were justified in disciplining him.

"Let any Bishop, or Presbyter, or Deacon that merely joins in prayer with heretics be suspended, but if he has permitted them to perform any service as Clergymen, let him be deposed (sc.from office)."

--canon 45 of the holy apostles

Upvote 0

Passionate Chicken

A hen on a mission to make sense of egg salad
Jan 29, 2013
The hen house guarding against weird foxes
✟15,429.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ah well, that would be man's laws in the name of holy apostles wouldn't it?
And I know you do not speak for most Christians.

The Bible describes a God of love.
Especially since he loved the whole world and gave his only begotten son. So those who are saved beneath the cloak of Jesus sacrifice, have come to redemption and been washed clean by the blood of the lamb sent to save the whole world from it's sin, are united in the name of that covenant to the one God who gave his only son.

John 3:16,1 John 2:2, Romans 5:8, 1 John 4:8-16
If God is creator of all people and loves all people he would not discriminate and show prejudice for one people who lift prayers beseeching mercy and peace in the name of lost children.
Claiming he would approve bigotry and discrimination in that regard is not of God in my opinion. And it is heresy for any entity professing to speak in God's name to claim it would have been approved by the apostles. When Jesus was the teacher of them and taught them better than that.

Upvote 0
A

Adaephon

Ah well, that would be man's laws in the name of holy apostles wouldn't it?
And I know you do not speak for most Christians.

The Bible describes a God of love.
Especially since he loved the whole world and gave his only begotten son. So those who are saved beneath the cloak of Jesus sacrifice, have come to redemption and been washed clean by the blood of the lamb sent to save the whole world from it's sin, are united in the name of that covenant to the one God who gave his only son.

John 3:16,1 John 2:2, Romans 5:8, 1 John 4:8-16
If God is creator of all people and loves all people he would not discriminate and show prejudice for one people who lift prayers beseeching mercy and peace in the name of lost children.
Claiming he would approve bigotry and discrimination in that regard is not of God in my opinion. And it is heresy for any entity professing to speak in God's name to claim it would have been approved by the apostles. When Jesus was the teacher of them and taught them better than that.

What the heck? Have you ever read the Bible? God does not approve of the religious syncretism you are advocating. Believe whatever you want, just be aware that what you are promoting is unorthodox and in direct contradiction to scriptures. Fact is, God does discriminate. He doesn't approve of people praying to false gods, and it is inappropriate for Christian clergy, according to many, to validate the worship of false gods by concelebrating with the priests of false gods. What you are suggesting we accept is monstrous and evil.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
dontmakemestopthiscar.png

MOD HAT ON

Guys, if you wanna argue about God's morality or whether or not God would tolerate prayers with a pagan priest, take it to General Theology. This forum isn't for that type of discussion.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Maybe the thread should be moved?

Would require some cleanup and it started off as a news story.

Someone can start up a thread in GT if they'd like, but non-Christians can't post there, just as a reminder.

Upvote 0