Joe biden Effigy

Reasonably Sane

With age comes wisdom, when it doesn't come alone.
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The cultures did mix. They continue to mix. Are you familiar with "hybrid vigor"?
Hybrid vigor is about biology. But yes, cultures can mix. But it happens very slowly. And when it is forced, it can get ugly.

I lived in a predominantly vietnamese neighborhood a couple of decades ago. We very much enjoyed the neighbors behind us, but it was always awkward around the others. The reason? The ones behind us were second generation. English was their first language and for all intents and purposes we and they were of the same culture with only minor differences. The rest were still solidly vietnamese in culture. And many of them still could not speak english, or spoke it very poorly.

And I went to a park in Rainier Beach in the seattle area back in the late 70 one nice summer day. It was very mixed with whites and blacks. Except they naturally separated themselves. It was as if someone had built a wall with blacks on one side and whites on the other. But everybody got along fine. No forced integration.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hybrid vigor is about biology. But yes, cultures can mix. But it happens very slowly. And when it is forced, it can get ugly.
It can happen relatively quickly. A stagnant culture can get just as ugly.

I lived in a predominantly vietnamese neighborhood a couple of decades ago. We very much enjoyed the neighbors behind us, but it was always awkward around the others. The reason? The ones behind us were second generation. English was their first language and for all intents and purposes we and they were of the same culture with only minor differences. The rest were still solidly vietnamese in culture. And many of them still could not speak english, or spoke it very poorly.
Okay.

And I went to a park in Rainier Beach in the seattle area back in the late 70 one nice summer day. It was very mixed with whites and blacks. Except they naturally separated themselves. It was as if someone had built a wall with blacks on one side and whites on the other. But everybody got along fine. No forced integration.
Is that ideal to you?

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is that ideal to you?
Perfection is the enemy of excellence. It's not ideal, but it is human nature. You might as well try to keep a Bengal tiger as a pet. It would be ideal - if it worked. But it doesn't. The tiger's nature prevents it. Same sort of thing is going on with human beings. Birds of a feather, and all that...

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perfection is the enemy of excellence. It's not ideal, but it is human nature. You might as well try to keep a Bengal tiger as a pet. It would be ideal - if it worked. But it doesn't. The tiger's nature prevents it. Same sort of thing is going on with human beings. Birds of a feather, and all that...
Why would a Bengal tiger be an ideal pet? Very rarely, people have manged a pet tiger despite most tigers being undomesticable, but apart from the exoticism, it does not seem ideal even with unlimited funds and land enough.

I prefer to live in a mixed area, perhaps because my family is mixed, but even before I married that was my preference.

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why would a Bengal tiger be an ideal pet? Very rarely, people have manged a pet tiger despite most tigers being undomesticable, but apart from the exoticism, it does not seem ideal even with unlimited funds and land enough.

I prefer to live in a mixed area, perhaps because my family is mixed, but even before I married that was my preference.
Regarding the first line, exactly my point.

Regarding the second, I don't mind living in a racially mixed area. And I don't mind living in an area where people may have different cultural backgrounds. But when someone brings their other culture "fully" with them into my area, it can create problems. Especially if they are strong muslims. Or when they bring dominant "American black culture"* into my neighborhood. Both are poison to a European based culture.

The thing is, it is stressful to hang around people that are not "like you" culturally. That's why people naturally segregate in situations where they are free to do so. It's just less stressful to be around people 'like you". At work it's different. You are forced to hang around people you may even despise. But the goal at work is not to be stress free. It's to get the job done that you were paid to do. It can take work. And that means working with people that are different than you.

BTW, my family is mixed as well - racially. Culturally we're pretty much the same, though my daughter in law from Thailand (first generation) is an excellent cook and makes some amazing Thai dishes. She also makes some amazing dishes from all over the country. She's a graduate of Le Cordon Bleu. :)

This guy sums it all up in the first few sentences:

*I learned this when I went to Freeport, Bahamas a year ago. We were helping a friend move there. Virtually all the people we met were black, and they were people that, culturally, were pretty much like me. We got along great. Not the same in the south side of Chicago, which is steeped in "american black culture"

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Especially if they are strong muslims. Or when they bring dominant "American black culture"* into my neighborhood. Both are poison to a European based culture.
i have no words for this type of cultural racism. This is America, not Europe.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Regarding the first line, exactly my point.
Not really. In what way would a Bengal tiger be an ideal pet? Supposing it were doable, what would be ideal about it?
Regarding the second, I don't mind living in a racially mixed area. And I don't mind living in an area where people may have different cultural backgrounds. But when someone brings their other culture "fully" with them into my area, it can create problems. Especially if they are strong muslims. Or when they bring dominant "American black culture"* into my neighborhood. Both are poison to a European based culture.

The thing is, it is stressful to hang around people that are not "like you" culturally. That's why people naturally segregate in situations where they are free to do so. It's just less stressful to be around people 'like you". At work it's different. You are forced to hang around people you may even despise. But the goal at work is not to be stress free. It's to get the job done that you were paid to do. It can take work. And that means working with people that are different than you.

BTW, my family is mixed as well - racially. Culturally we're pretty much the same, though my daughter in law from Thailand (first generation) is an excellent cook and makes some amazing Thai dishes. She also makes some amazing dishes from all over the country. She's a graduate of Le Cordon Bleu. :)
Sounds lovely.
This guy sums it all up in the first few sentences:

*I learned this when I went to Freeport, Bahamas a year ago. We were helping a friend move there. Virtually all the people we met were black, and they were people that, culturally, were pretty much like me. We got along great. Not the same in the south side of Chicago, which is steeped in "american black culture"
Meh, the guy is a bit of a jerk: "Mosque caucus member"?

Upvote 0