✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Main article: Jewish messianic claimants

In Judaism, "messiah" originally meant a divinely appointed king, such as David, Cyrus the Great[1] or Alexander the Great.[2] Later, especially after the failure of the Hasmonean Kingdom (37 BC) and the Jewish–Roman wars (AD 66-135), the figure of the Jewish Messiah was one who would deliver the Jews from oppression and usher in an Olam Haba ("world to come") or Messianic Age.

Simon of Peraea (c. Unknown – 4 BCE), a former slave of Herod the Great who rebelled and was killed by the Romans.[3]

Jesus of Nazareth (c. 5 BCE – 30 CE), leader of a Jewish sect who was crucified by the Romans at the instigation of Jewish leaders; Jews who believed him to be the Messiah were the first Christians, also known as Jewish Christians.[4] Muslims,[5] Christians[6] and Messianic Jews[7] believe him to be the real Messiah.

Athronges (c. 3 CE),[8] a shepherd turned rebel leader.

Menahem ben Judah (?), allegedly son of Judas of Galilee, partook in a revolt against Agrippa II before being slain by a rival Zealot leader.

Vespasian, c. 70, according to Josephus[9]

Simon bar Kokhba (died c. 135), founded a short-lived Jewish state before being defeated in the Second Jewish-Roman War.

Moses of Crete (?), who in about 440–470 persuaded the Jews of Crete to walk into the sea, as Moses had done, to return to Israel. The results were disastrous and he soon disappeared.

Ishak ben Ya'kub Obadiah Abu 'Isa al-Isfahani (684–705), who led a revolt in Persia against the Umayyad Caliph 'Abd al-Malik ibn Marwan.

Yudghan (?), a disciple of Abu 'Isa who continued the faith after Isa was slain.[10][11]

Serene (?), who around 720 claimed to be the Messiah and advocated expulsion of Muslims and relaxing various rabbinic laws before being arrested; he then recanted.

David Alroy (?), born in Kurdistan, who around 1160 agitated against the caliph before being assassinated.

Nissim ben Abraham (?), active around 1295.[10]

Moses Botarel of Cisneros (?), active around 1413; claimed to be a sorcerer able to combine the names of God.

Asher Lämmlein (?), a German near Venice who proclaimed himself a forerunner of the Messiah in 1502.

David Reubeni (1490–1541?) and Solomon Molcho (1500–1532), messianic adventurers who travelled in Portugal, Italy and Turkey; Molcho, who was a baptised Catholic, was tried by the Inquisition, convicted of apostasy and burned at the stake.

A mostly unknown Czech Jew from around the 1650s.[12]

Sabbatai Zevi (1626–1676), an Ottoman Jew who claimed to be the Messiah, but then converted to Islam; still has followers today in the Donmeh.

Barukhia Russo (Osman Baba), successor of Sabbatai Zevi.

Jacob Querido (?–1690), claimed to be the new incarnation of Sabbatai; later converted to Islam and led the Donmeh.

Miguel Cardoso (1630–1706), another successor of Sabbatai who claimed to be the "Messiah ben Ephraim."

Mordecai Mokia (1650–1729), "the Rebuker," another person who proclaimed himself Messiah after Sabbatai's death.

Löbele Prossnitz (?–1750), attained some following amongst former followers of Sabbatai, calling himself the "Messiah ben Joseph."

Jacob Joseph Frank (1726–1791), who claimed to be the reincarnation of King David and preached a synthesis of Christianity and Judaism.

Menachem Mendel Schneerson (1902–1994), the seventh Chabad Rabbi who tried to "prepare the way" for the Messiah. An unidentifiable number of his followers believe him to be the Messiah, though he himself never said this and actually scoffed at such claims which were made during his lifetime.

List of messiah claimants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Being wikipedia I seriously doubt this is a truly comprehensive list

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Those are the many false christs (messiahs). But there is only one Antichrist - who will actually become the illicit King of Israel, son of David - to actually become the ruler of Israel.

Nowhere is this taught in scripture about Antichrst.

Such is purely man made tradition.

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Those are the many false christs (messiahs). But there is only one Antichrist - who will actually become the illicit King of Israel, son of David - to actually become the ruler of Israel.

The ·king of Daniel 11:36-40 is the ·king of revived Judah, which is now called Israel. Many think this blasphemous “·king” is the Roman “prince” of Daniel 9:26. But the language of Bible prophecy is very precise. Every detail has meaning. The Hebrew word translated “prince” in Daniel 9:26 is nagiyd. (word number 5057 in Strong’s Hebrew Dictionary) This word means leader or commander. But the Hebrew word translated “·king” in this passage is melek. (word number 4428 in Strong’s Hebrew Dictionary) This word literally means a ·king. Even such an apparently small difference as whether someone is called a melek or a nagiyd is important. This “·king” is not the same person as “the prince.”

We notice that “the ·king” shall not regard “the God of his fathers,” (Daniel 11:37) but shall instead honor “a god which his fathers did not know.” (verse 38) The term, “the God of his fathers,” is not just a generic reference to a god worshiped in past generations. Some form of this term is used of the God of Israel fifty-eight times in the Old Testament. When the Lord sent Moses to the children of Israel He told him “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel: 'The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob·, has sent me to you. This is My name forever, and this is My memorial to all generations.” (Exodus 3:15) Thus we see that the God this ·king shall ignore is none other than the God of Israel; and that in calling Himself “the God of his fathers,” the Lord was identifying this “·king” as an Israelite.

Most modern translations render this clause “the gods of his fathers.” This is a possible translation because the Hebrew word for God (‘elohiym, word number 430 in Strong’s Hebrew Dictionary) is plural. But the Hebrew scriptures use ‘elohiym for the one true God of Israel about two thousand four hundred times. (Including Deuteronomy 6:4, “Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one!”) While it was used of the gods of the heathen only about two hundred times. Whether ‘elohiym should be translated God or gods can only be determined from the context. Nothing in Daniel 11:37 implies a plural sense for this word. But if “the gods of his fathers” were correct, this would be the only place the Holy Spirit used this formula in speaking of false gods. Translators did not begin to use the plural word gods in this verse until the notion that “the ·king” is “the prince” became popular. So we realize this idea is the basis of the plural translation. Thus we understand that using the plural translation to prove this idea is only reasoning in a circle.

‘Elohiym has a singular form, ‘elowahh. (word number 433 in Strong’s Hebrew Dictionary) But the fact that it is not used never justifies translating ‘elohiym as gods. ‘Elowahh is used only sixteen times outside of the book of Job. (Although unusual in the rest of scripture, ‘elowahh is used more than forty times in the book of Job.) But ‘elowahh is used in every reference to false gods in the passage we are considering (the word rendered “any god” in verse 37 and the “god” worshiped by “the ·king,” mentioned twice in verse 38 and once in verse 39). This adds strength to the conclusion that the term “the God of his fathers” in this passage refers to the one true God of Israel, for a different word is used of all gods that are unquestionably false.

In Daniel 11:40 “the ·king” is attacked by “the king of the South” and “the king of the North.” The result is that “the king of the North” overruns many nations, including Israel, “the glorious land.” (verses 41-45) But “the king” continues to prosper “till the wrath has been accomplished.” (verse 36) How does he escape? We learn this detail in Zechariah 11:17, where, as “the worthless shepherd,” he “leaves the flock!” (We recognize this shepherd as a ·king of Judah or Israel because he will be raised up “in the land.” - Zechariah 11:16) We see this again in the missing shepherd of Zechariah 10:2, in the missing ·king of Micah 4:9, and the fainthearted ·king of Jeremiah 4:9. For this crime “A sword shall be against his arm And against his right eye; His arm shall completely wither, And his right eye shall be totally blinded.” (Zechariah 11:17)

Our Lord contrasted himself to this “worthless shepherd” by saying “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep. But a hireling, he who is not the shepherd, one who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf catches the sheep and scatters them. The hireling flees because he is a hireling and does not care about the sheep. I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own. As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep.” (John 10:11-15) In so contrasting Himself to this evil individual, our Lord was pointing him out as:

The Antichrist

The great false messiah who rises in imitation of the true Messiah, our Lord Jesus Christ. He is mentioned by this title only in 1 John 2:18; “you have heard that the Antichrist is coming.” Many, if not most, seem to have completely missed the significance of this title. The Greek word transliterated Christ is Christos, (word number 5547 in Strong’s Greek Dictionary) meaning the anointed one. It is the Greek equivalent of the Hebrew word mashiyach, (word number 4899 in Strong’s Hebrew Dictionary) which is transliterated Messiah. This title, though it applies to our Lord Jesus, does not mean God. Its literal meaning, the anointed one, means He is God’s chosen one. Jesus said “I proceeded forth and came from God; nor have I come of Myself, but He sent Me.” (John 8:42) Even so, the Antichrist will claim to be the chosen representative of God.

But, like the true Messiah, the Antichrist will claim to be more than just a messenger of God. In John 1:1 we read that “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” (“The Word” is none other than Jesus, for “the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.” - John 1:14) So in imitating Jesus, the Antichrist makes a similar dual claim. As the ·king of Judah, he will exalt himself above all gods, yet he will honor another as God.

“He shall regard neither the God of his fathers nor the desire of women, nor regard any god; for he shall exalt himself above them all. But in their place he shall honor a god of fortresses; and a god which his fathers did not know he shall honor with gold and silver, with precious stones and pleasant things. Thus he shall act against the strongest fortresses with a foreign god, which he shall acknowledge, and advance its glory.” (Daniel 11:37-39)

The Antichrist is the one who will come “in his own name,” whom Jesus said the Jews “will receive.” (John 5:43) He has to be a Jew, for many scriptures show that Messiah is a Jew. Though blinded to many prophecies, the Jews know that their Messiah will be one of themselves. It would therefore be impossible to convince them that a gentile was their Messiah.

The man of sin

Also called “the son of perdition.” He “opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.” (2 Thessalonians 2:3-4) Those who take part in this evil worship are charged with adultery.

“On a lofty and high mountain You have set your bed; Even there you went up To offer sacrifice. Also behind the doors and their posts You have set up your remembrance; For you have uncovered yourself to those other than Me, And have gone up to them; You have enlarged your bed And made a covenant with them; You have loved their bed, Where you saw their nudity. You went to the ·king with ointment, And increased your perfumes; You sent your messengers far off, And even descended to Sheol.” (Isaiah 57:7-9)

This passage graphically shows Jehovah’s jealousy at this false worship. But it also names the evil seducer. The object of this adulterous worship is none other than “the ·king.” We saw that this is one of the prophetic titles of the wicked ·king of revived Judah. This again shows him to be the Antichrist.

Excerpted from "keys to Bible Prophecy," the award-winning book by myself. This is copyrighted material, but I have retained the right to post it at will.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

peterlindner

returning from journey
Mar 1, 2013
✟17,238.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The antichrist was hanging around when Stephen made his final declaration. He was a ravenous wolf in sheep's clothing. His spirit is soothed by "worship" music. Just as his Benjamite King relative was "asked for" by the people; this Benjamite's name means "asked for".

Upvote 0

Shocker

Mar 10, 2014
✟3,534.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Most of us simply refer to him as the "son of perdition", whom Christ spoke of personally.

Joh_17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

2Th_2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

1Jn_2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

Upvote 0
B

Bible2

Biblewriter said in post 4:

The term, “the God of his fathers,” is not just a generic reference to a god worshiped in past generations. Some form of this term is used of the God of Israel fifty-eight times in the Old Testament.

"Fathers" (Daniel 11:37) in the Bible can refer to non-Jewish fathers. For example, Exodus 10:6 refers to the Egyptian Pharaoh's fathers. The Antichrist could be an Arab, so that his fathers' God whom he won't regard (Daniel 11:37) could be Allah, the God of Islam, who has been the God of almost all the Arabs for some 1,300 years.

None of the other "God of his fathers" verses in the Bible contradict that Daniel 11:37 could refer to the God of the Antichrist's Arab fathers. Also, all those other verses specify "YHWH" God in the Hebrew, whereas Daniel 11:37 doesn't. Also, the context of all those other verses make clear they're either specifically addressing or referring to Israelites, whereas nothing in Daniel 11:37 or its context contradict it can be referring to an Arab.

That is, both of the Antichrist's parents could be Arabs (if his mother wasn't impregnated by Satan). But from some long-ago ancestor, the Antichrist could also have some Jewish blood in him, from the tribe of Dan (Genesis 49:17), which could be the reason the tribe of Dan isn't included in the 12 tribes of the 144,000 (Revelation 7:4-8; there, "Joseph" stands for Ephraim: Numbers 1:32, Psalms 78:67, Ezekiel 37:16b,19).

The Antichrist could have grown up as a Druze Arab, in Lebanon, in the modern city of Tyre (Ezekiel 28:2; 2 Thessalonians 2:4). So he could at first present himself to the world as being of the (quasi-Islamic) Druze religion, which is waiting for the 2nd coming of a God-man named Hakim. The Antichrist's last name could be Hakim, and he could at first present himself to the Druze people as the fulfillment of the 2nd coming of this God-man. In this way, he could get the Druze to support him without question during an initial rise to power among the Arabs. The Druze Arabs could be the numerically "small people" of Daniel 11:23. The Antichrist could make them his completely-devoted bodyguard, and buy them many key positions of power within a future United Arab States (which the Antichrist could become the leader of in the 1st stage of his world takeover), and employ the Druze as loyal spies and assassins at every level of his United Arab government and military.

The Druze religion is very secretive. What it teaches to its higher-level initiates isn't even taught to its lower-level initiates. What it could teach to its higher-level initiates could basically be Gnosticism mixed in with the Hakim God-man idea. The Antichrist himself, while outwardly a Druze, could inwardly be a Gnostic Luciferian. He could be a highest-level initiate of a worldwide secret society which ultimately teaches Gnostic Luciferianism, but keeps this a secret even from its own members who haven't been initiated into its highest level.

The Antichrist

The great false messiah who rises in imitation of the true Messiah, our Lord Jesus Christ.

"Anti"-Christ can simply refer to anyone who is "against" the true Christ, as in anyone who denies Jesus is the Christ (1 John 2:22), or denies Jesus is the human/divine Son of God (1 John 2:22b), or denies Christ is in the flesh (2 John 1:7). The spirit of antichrist (1 John 4:3) has been working since the first century AD (2 Thessalonians 2:7), animating many antichrists since that time (1 John 2:18; 2 John 1:7).

Note that nothing requires that the Antichrist (the individual-man aspect of Revelation's "beast") will ever claim to be the Messiah/Christ. For his antichrist denial that Christ is in the flesh (1 John 4:3) will disqualify him as a mortal-flesh human (under his mistaken Gnostic doctrine) from being Christ. Instead, the non-mortal-flesh Lucifer (Satan, the dragon) could be the false Christ (i.e. the "Lucifer" Christ, and not the "Jesus" Christ: 1 John 2:22) during the Antichrist's future, literal 3.5-year worldwide reign (Revelation 13:4-18, Revelation 12:9), which will be in the latter half of the future tribulation of Revelation chapters 6 to 18 and Matthew 24.

But none of this means there won't also be multiple, human false Christs who will arise during the tribulation (Matthew 24:24), including one who will be an ultra-Orthodox Jewish false Christ/Messiah. For shortly after the start of the tribulation, the Antichrist could "cut" a peace treaty with an ultra-Orthodox Jewish false "Messiah" (Daniel 9:26a, Daniel 11:22-23a), promising this false Messiah and his ultra-Orthodox Jewish followers that they can keep for at least 7 years (Daniel 9:27a) a 3rd Jewish temple (Revelation 11:1) which they will have built on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem.

He is mentioned by this title only in 1 John 2:18; “you have heard that the Antichrist is coming.”

While 1 John 2:18 says, in the singular, "antichrist shall come", the idea of the individual-man Antichrist (which is correct) isn't based on this verse, for it's referring to the singular antichrist spirit (see the original Greek of 1 John 4:3 and 2 John 1:7). Regarding the "ye have heard" part of 1 John 2:18, those originally addressed in 1 John 2:18 could have already heard through non-written, oral apostolic teaching (cf. 2 Thessalonians 2:5) that the antichrist spirit would come.

The Antichrist is the one who will come “in his own name,” whom Jesus said the Jews “will receive.” (John 5:43)

Note that nothing requires John 5:43b refers to the Antichrist, instead of to an ultra-Orthodox Jewish false "Messiah" whom the Antichrist will "cut" a 7-year peace treaty with (Daniel 9:26a,27a) after the Antichrist defeats him and his followers (Daniel 11:22-23a).

Anyone who receives the Antichrist (the individual-man aspect of Revelation's "beast") can never be saved (Revelation 14:9-11), whereas there will be Jews who will be saved after the time of the Antichrist, at Jesus' 2nd coming (Romans 11:26, Zechariah 12:10-14). Therefore, not all Jews will receive the Antichrist. They could survive his reign by hiding from him. And those in Jerusalem could be protected from him by the 2 witnesses (Revelation 11:3,5).

In Daniel 9:26, the original Hebrew word (karath, H3772) translated as "cut off" can refer to when a peace treaty/covenant is "made" (Genesis 21:27). The first century AD fulfillment of Daniel 9:26a was at the Crucifixion, when the true Messiah, Jesus, made the New Covenant (Matthew 26:28, Hebrews 9:15-17). The future fulfillment of Daniel 9:26a will be when the Antichrist makes a peace treaty, which will be a fulfillment of the covenant in Daniel 9:27 and the league in Daniel 11:23, with a future, ultra-Orthodox Jewish false Messiah in Jerusalem, after he and his followers are defeated by the Antichrist (Daniel 11:22-23). So the future fulfillment of Daniel 9:26a can refer to this false Messiah being "cut off" in the sense of being "covenanted", peace-treatied.

This treaty will allow this false Messiah and his followers to keep a 3rd Jewish temple which they will have built on Jerusalem's Temple Mount (after they or great earthquakes have destroyed the Muslim structures there), and to (mistakenly) continue to perform the daily Mosaic animal sacrifices in front of the temple for at least 7 years (Daniel 9:27a), so long as they give up the outer court of the temple (Revelation 11:2a) to the Muslims so that the Muslims can rebuild the (by that time destroyed) Al Aqsa Mosque on the southern end of the Temple Mount and resume worship there. After "cutting" this treaty (Daniel 9:26a), the Antichrist could appear before the "many" (Daniel 9:27) nations represented at the U.N. General Assembly, and "confirm" (Daniel 9:27) that for at least 7 years he will keep this treaty with the ultra-Orthodox Jews in Jerusalem, using this as purported proof to the world that he is (in his words) "a man of peace, and no Hitler".

In Daniel 9:27, "he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease" refers to when, only some 3.5 years after making the peace treaty of Daniel 9:26a,27a and Daniel 11:23a, the Antichrist will break the treaty, attack the 3rd temple, stop the daily Mosaic animal sacrifices, place the abomination of desolation (possibly a standing android image of the Antichrist) in the holy place (the inner sanctum) of the temple (Daniel 9:27b, Daniel 11:31, Matthew 24:15), and then sit himself in the temple and proclaim himself God (2 Thessalonians 2:4, Daniel 11:36). Thus could begin the Antichrist's literal 3.5-year Luciferian (Satanic) worldwide reign of terror (Revelation 13:4-18, Revelation 12:9; 2 Thessalonians 2:9).

Upvote 0