Hudson
✟285,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Agreed. Works without faith? I don't know about that...

Next I would have to ask myself exactly what works are expected. Don't sin? I don't know if that is wholly possible for me.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

OT Scripture, and in specific God's code of conduct in His law are profitable for training in righteousness and equipping us to do every good work. God said it wasn't too difficult:

Romans 10:8-9 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); 9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Quoting from here:

Deuteronomy 30:11-14 For this commandment that I command you today is not too hard for you, neither is it far off. 12 It is not in heaven, that you should say, ‘Who will ascend to heaven for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?’ 13 Neither is it beyond the sea, that you should say, ‘Who will go over the sea for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?’ 14 But the word is very near you. It is in your mouth and in your heart, so that you can do it.

Through faith and with God all things are possible. The law could not cause us to obey it, so God did what the law could not do by sending His Son to die on the cross to pay the penalty for our sins and to free us from slavery to sin, and sent His Spirit to lead us in obedience to the law (Ezekiel 36:26-27) so that we might meet its righteous requirement (Romans 8:3-4). When He who began a good work in us is faithful to complete on the day of Christ Jesus, we will be made to have a holy, righteous, and good conduct like Christ in obedience to the law.

Reactions: brotherjerry
Upvote 0

AsPatat

Dec 30, 2015
South Africa
✟7,836.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

OT Scripture, and in specific God's code of conduct in His law are profitable for training in righteousness and equipping us to do every good work. God said it wasn't too difficult:

Romans 10:8-9 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); 9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Quoting from here:

Deuteronomy 30:11-14 For this commandment that I command you today is not too hard for you, neither is it far off. 12 It is not in heaven, that you should say, ‘Who will ascend to heaven for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?’ 13 Neither is it beyond the sea, that you should say, ‘Who will go over the sea for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?’ 14 But the word is very near you. It is in your mouth and in your heart, so that you can do it.

Through faith and with God all things are possible. The law could not cause us to obey it, so God did what the law could not do by sending His Son to die on the cross to pay the penalty for our sins and to free us from slavery to sin, and sent His Spirit to lead us in obedience to the law (Ezekiel 36:26-27) so that we might meet its righteous requirement (Romans 8:3-4). When He who began a good work in us is faithful to complete on the day of Christ Jesus, we will be made to have a holy, righteous, and good conduct like Christ in obedience to the law.

Matthew 7:12 All things therefore whatsoever ye would that men should do unto you, even so do ye also unto them: for this is the law and the prophets.

John 8:7 But when they went on with their questions, he got up and said to them, Let him among you who is without sin be the first to send a stone at her.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟285,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Love is the essence of the law or what it all about and all of God's commands are in regard to how we are to love Him or our neighbor. For instance, the first four of the Ten Commandments are about how to love God and the last six are about how to love your neighbor. Saying we just need to love our neighbor while ignoring God's instructions for how we are to love our neighbor is completely missing the point.

This passage is an example of Jesus following the law, not changing it. She did not confess to the crime, there were no witnesses, and there was no magistrate to pronounce a sentence, so if he had said to stone her, then he would have sinned in violation of the law.

Upvote 0

AsPatat

Dec 30, 2015
South Africa
✟7,836.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Love is the essence of the law or what it all about and all of God's commands are in regard to how we are to love Him or our neighbor. For instance, the first four of the Ten Commandments are about how to love God and the last six are about how to love your neighbor. Saying we just need to love our neighbor while ignoring God's instructions for how we are to love our neighbor is completely missing the point.

Yup, and I can not sincerely tell you that I have always loved God with my whole heart, and will always continue to do so in future. I also don't sincerely always love all my neighbors, not to mention my enemies. While I agree with you that the spirit of the law is not hard and not far, I have found obeying it perfectly rather hard. Would you conclude from this that I have no faith? I have some faith because it was given to me. That has lead to some works. I am still working on more. I don't consider myself complete in any way. You could pray for me.

This passage is an example of Jesus following the law, not changing it. She did not confess to the crime, there were no witnesses, and there was no magistrate to pronounce a sentence, so if he had said to stone her, then he would have sinned in violation of the law.
The scribes and Pharisees intended to test Jesus on the law. They left when he replied as he did. Maybe she was guilty, maybe not. Maybe I was guilty and received mercy and further opportunities.

Upvote 0

AsPatat

Dec 30, 2015
South Africa
✟7,836.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
P.S. I am not denying that faith without works is dead. I am just questioning the nature and maybe quantity of said works.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Are you just throwing out terms now? Or do you not understand what I explained in my previous post? Or is it that you do understand my point but disagree with it?

You are rationalizing.

Five points Calvinists believe that our actions have no impact on our salvation. Look it up if you don't believe me.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
James says faith without works is dead.

Discuss.

I guess the thief on the cross next to Jesus had "dead" faith then, and I guess those who are quadraplegics who in their minds accept Jesus are "dead" too.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I've often wonder for those who promote a version of "works" based salvation how many works must one do to be "saved"? Is God fair and does he give everyone the same amount of works or is he unfair and ask little of some and a lot of others lest he decide to refuse to "save" them because of their "inferior" works.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've often wonder for those who promote a version of "works" based salvation how many works must one do to be "saved"? Is God fair and does he give everyone the same amount of works or is he unfair and ask little of some and a lot of others lest he decide to refuse to "save" them because of their "inferior" works.

You could also ask, how much faith must a person have to be saved.

For the record, Catholics believe that we are saved by grace through faith and works.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
You could also ask, how much faith must a person have to be saved.

For the record, Catholics believe that we are saved by grace through faith and works.
So in other words you believe that "works" creates more faith in a person?
And yes, I know what Catholics say about salvation, and I'm not really interested in discussing Catholic beliefs but rather interested in how one can truly know they are saved once works enter the equation.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You are rationalizing.

Five points Calvinists believe that our actions have no impact on our salvation. Look it up if you don't believe me.
What you have written here is correct. More or less. It's not what you wrote before, however, and that was not correct.

The Protestant parallel to that statement would, therefore, be 'Protestants believe that we are saved by grace through faith.'

There will be good works, but they do not contribute to our chances of being saved.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So in other words you believe that "works" creates more faith in a person?
And yes, I know what Catholics say about salvation, and I'm not really interested in discussing Catholic beliefs but rather interested in how one can truly know they are saved once works enter the equation.

How can anyone know? Paul said that even he didn't know.

We must press on for the prize with hope and confidence.

Jesus said we must pick up our cross and follow, not pick up our cross, put it down and take a nap.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AsPatat

Dec 30, 2015
South Africa
✟7,836.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Luke 12:47 And that servant, who knew his lord's will, and made not ready, nor did according to his will, shall be beaten with many [stripes]; 48 but he that knew not, and did things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few [stripes]. And to whomsoever much is given, of him shall much be required: and to whom they commit much, of him will they ask the more.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Protestant parallel to that statement would, therefore, be 'Protestants believe that we are saved by grace through faith.'

I know. Unfortunately, that is contradicted by the teachings of Jesus and the other NT writers.

Do you believe a person will be saved if he believes in Jesus but consistently disobeys his teachings without ever repenting?

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
What you have written here is correct. More or less. It's not what you wrote before, however, and that was not correct.

I believe what Paul said:
Ephesians 2:8-9New American Standard Bible (NASB)
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Upvote 0