✟16,678.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
James says faith without works is dead.
Just another "hint" against OSAS.
The Lord presents most of these warnings as tactful "hints"
so as to not scare away the troops (who generally are fragile).
Let the Spirit reveal spiritual Truths about different items
to whomever and whenever He chooses to reveal them.
This is what the Lord taught Paul during those 17 years of training
in the desert regions before he actually began his ministry to the Gentiles.
Jesus speaking to everyone is less tactful.
What Paul wrote so tactfully to the churches is lost on most American
believers today, who have been deceived and brainwashed unto idiocy!

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
James says faith without works is dead.

Discuss.

If someone has faith that God will lead them into being like Christ in having a holy, righteous, and good conduct, then they will obey His instructions in His law for how to do holy, righteous, and good works. When God said that this is the right way to live and Jesus demonstrated the right way to live by giving us a perfect example to follow of obedience to God's law, then it would be inconsistent for someone to say that they trust that God knows what He is talking about while demonstrating through their lawless and unrepentant actions that they don't actually trust or even know Him.

1 John 3:4-6 Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness. 5 You know that he appeared in order to take away sins, and in him there is no sin. 6 No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or known him.

Last edited:
Reactions: GillDouglas
Upvote 0

nobdysfool

The original! Accept no substitutes!
Feb 23, 2003
Home, except when I'm not....
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Just another "hint" against OSAS.
The Lord presents most of these warnings as tactful "hints"
so as to not scare away the troops (who generally are fragile).
Let the Spirit reveal spiritual Truths about different items
to whomever and whenever He chooses to reveal them.
This is what the Lord taught Paul during those 17 years of training
in the desert regions before he actually began his ministry to the Gentiles.
Jesus speaking to everyone is less tactful.
What Paul wrote so tactfully to the churches is lost on most American
believers today, who have been deceived and brainwashed unto idiocy!

Just another false diatribe against Believers who don't agree with these views. Nothing to see here. Move along....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nobdysfool

Feb 23, 2003
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yeah, but do you agree with James' view? Seems many believe a dead faith can save.

Grace by means of faith is what saves. Works are evidence of faith, not the cause of faith, and certainly not the cause of Salvation. Too many want to put the cart before the horse, and then wonder why it doesn't work. The horse (faith) is much more efficient at pulling the load (works), rather than pushing it.

Keep in mind that James is primarily concerned with justification before men (the proof of faith to the observer/hearer) than he is with justification before God. He is addressing the question, "How do we know that this faith is real?"

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Paul talks about "faith working through love," in Galatians 5:6.

And I notice that the examples James gives for works include >

personally helping a someone who needs food and clothing . . .

Abraham putting God first by offering his son Isaac . . .

and Rahab helping God's servants.

These, I consider, are works of personal love.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Grace by means of faith is what saves. Works are evidence of faith, not the cause of faith, and certainly not the cause of Salvation. Too many want to put the cart before the horse, and then wonder why it doesn't work. The horse (faith) is much more efficient at pulling the load (works), rather than pushing it.

Keep in mind that James is primarily concerned with justification before men (the proof of faith to the observer/hearer) than he is with justification before God. He is addressing the question, "How do we know that this faith is real?"

So I will ask, without evidence (works), does faith exist? Is it alive without works? Some are fond of saying a 'dead' man can do nothing on his own, but are more than willing to believe a 'dead' faith can save.

How do we know faith is real? Can you show us without works? As James said, 'show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.' How will you show us your faith NB?

James also said, 'But do you want to know, o foolish man, that faith without works is dead?' NB, do you know faith without works is dead? Do you want to know? Do you know Abraham was justified by his works?

By the way, James is not talking about the cart before the horse; you want us to believe a 'dead' horse can pull the cart. Perhaps you can show us how a 'dead' horse can do anything.

To top it off, James gave us an example of 'dead' faith. 'For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also'. I ask, what can a body do without the spirit? Be honest, give us examples of bodies doing something without the spirit. This should be interesting. But yet, you want us to believe, a dead faith can do what a dead body can't.

Upvote 0

nobdysfool

Feb 23, 2003
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
So I will ask, without evidence (works), does faith exist? Is it alive without works?

This may be tough for you to grasp, but there are two flaws in your reasoning here. First, the underlying assumption that works are what define faith. They provide evidence of faith's presence, but they do not stand in the place of faith. Faith and works are not interchangeable.

Some are fond of saying a 'dead' man can do nothing on his own, but are more than willing to believe a 'dead' faith can save.

Here's your second flaw in your reasoning. You automatically assume, and want to frame the exchange as me and basically everyone else but you, when we speak of faith we are automatically speaking of dead faith. You're trying to poison the well.

How do we know faith is real? Can you show us without works? As James said, 'show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.' How will you show us your faith NB?

Are you sitting in judgment over me here? Where do you get off demanding that i demonstrate my faith on an internet discussion board? What would you have me do?

James also said, 'But do you want to know, o foolish man, that faith without works is dead?' NB, do you know faith without works is dead? Do you want to know? Do you know Abraham was justified by his works?

Abraham was counted righteous by faith. Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness. He did what God asked, and proved his faith by his works, but if the faith hadn't been present first, the works would have accounted for nothing.

Where do you get off interrogating me? I made a true statement, both in the natural realm, and it applies to the spiritual realm as well. You immediately try to negate it by accusing me of something I did not say, or mean. Why? I'm thinking it's because you know that my analogy blows a hole in your false doctrine big enough to drive that horse and cart through.

By the way, James is not talking about the cart before the horse; you want us to believe a 'dead' horse can pull the cart. Perhaps you can show us how a 'dead' horse can do anything.

I never said anything even remotely like that, and you know it. I never said anything about a dead horse, that's YOUR spin on it. The reason you're trying to spin it, is because that little analogy actually shoots down your whole works-based salvation false doctrine.

To top it off, James gave us an example of 'dead' faith. 'For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also'. I ask, what can a body do without the spirit? Be honest, give us examples of bodies doing something without the spirit. This should be interesting. But yet, you want us to believe, a dead faith can do what a dead body can't.

Please show me where I said that I "want (you) to believe, a dead faith can do what a dead body can't." I never, ever said such a false, anti-biblical thing. What you are doing is lying, pure and simple. Liars do not enter Heaven.

Since it's obvious that you're agenda here is to disrupt, cause strife, and make false accusations, I will say only that when you are ready to have a constructive conversation based on what I have ACTUALLY said, without assumptions and false accusations, I will then, and only then, answer your questions. You've made several blatantly false accusations against me here, and then acted as though I were under interrogation. I do not, and will not participate any longer in a discussion with a contentious man such as yourself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Calvinists believe that works are unrelated to salvation.
"Calvinists" (and most other Protestants) believe that works do not earn us salvation, in whole or in part, but that they are the fruit of Saving Faith.

It would not be correct to say that these people think of works as "unrelated" to salvation.

That correction aside, the question I asked was about who believes that a "dead faith" can save. That is what was alleged in the above post and that is what I asked about.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"Calvinists" (and most other Protestants) believe that works do not earn us salvation, in whole or in part, but that they are the fruit of Saving Faith.

It would not be correct to say that these people think of works as "unrelated" to salvation.

That correction aside, the question I asked was about who believes that a "dead faith" can save. That is what was alleged in the above post and that is what I asked about.

Calvinists believe in unconditional election.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Calvinists believe in unconditional election.
Are you just throwing out terms now? Or do you not understand what I explained in my previous post? Or is it that you do understand my point but disagree with it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AsPatat

Dec 30, 2015
South Africa
✟7,836.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0