Is this the voice of God or just my thoughts?

Jan 4, 2011
Letchworth GC, England
✟7,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Well, this just happened to em now, and has happened a few times, although not in the same situation. I was just scrolling through the forums, and a thought/voice came into my head, saying "This is what happens when people don't obey." And I then proceeded to see the funeral of my nephew (who died in 2008, a stillbirth), and my grandma, sitting dead in an armchair in her house, and she died on Christmas Eve, 2010. Is that God, or my own thoughts?

Firewater

Regular Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2009
✟24,698.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
We need to check anything we are hearing with the bible.

In this case, what you heard is not God & is not consistent with God's character & the bible. God is a merciful God & sent Jesus so people could be forgiven. It's not how God interacts with people in the New Covenant.

At 13, you will still need a lot of guidance from your parents & youth leaders at a church. Are you parents Christians & do you go to a church?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

childofGod31

May 13, 2006
✟17,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, this just happened to em now, and has happened a few times, although not in the same situation. I was just scrolling through the forums, and a thought/voice came into my head, saying "This is what happens when people don't obey." And I then proceeded to see the funeral of my nephew (who died in 2008, a stillbirth), and my grandma, sitting dead in an armchair in her house, and she died on Christmas Eve, 2010. Is that God, or my own thoughts?

Whether the thoughts are from God or not is sometimes hard to determine. You would have to look at the context, see what the message was, whether it was useful in any way...
It's possible to see this as a message: that people die spiritually when they don't obey God...

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you think this might have been from God, then compare it to scriptures. Study what God has to say about death and obedience. Everyone dies, so I don't see this as a message about punishment. It might be about timing, or circumstances related to the deaths.

For instance, was the deceased stubborn about alcohol or raising their blood pressure... was the pregnant woman doing things during her pregnancy that would harm the baby.

Stress can kill anyone; we pump toxins into our bloodstreams when we fret and rage. When we are doing what we know we shouldn't, and harm our bodies/minds, and scramble to invent and coordinate all our excuses, then we do harm to ourselves and others.

Look at the message with some distance. If it is from God, then He wants you to understand the full message. Ask Him to explain more, and do some digging.

If it is not from God, then no big deal. All sorts of things fly into our minds. Either way, it doesn't hurt to think further on it.

Upvote 0

Blackwater Babe

Jan 10, 2011
United States
✟8,940.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Libertarian
Don't take anything you think as the word of God, imagine what would happen if someone thought God wanted them to kill their children to save them from hell. It's happened many times before, I suggest seeing a doctor if this persists. If the voice tells you do to specific actions, get help immediately.

Oh, and for people who keep it as a "Possibility" it's god, it could (Hypothetically) be the Devil.
Can't agree with this guy strongly enough

Upvote 0

ezeric

HE loves me too.
Mar 2, 2010
Canada but really in JESUS! (in HIS Covenant)
Visit site
✟12,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Keep in mind that GOD always acts and speaks according to HIS Nature, HIS SPIRIT (what HE is like).

Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Gentleness, Meekness, Faith and Self Control.
Galatians 5:22

These are the fruit of the SPIRIT - and they are EXACTLY what GOD is like, all the time.

If any voice comes to you, first test it. See if it lines up to what GOD is like.(HIS SPIRIT)

Or does it bring you fear, dread, worry, burden, anxiety, then its from the enemy (devil) and you reject and rebuke that thought, and then thank JESUS for HIS love and joy that HE gives you!

-eric
The Exchanged Life

Reactions: Firewater
Upvote 0

StoneWater

Whisper Hurricanes
Dec 23, 2010
✟15,663.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It sounds like an evil spirit.

Everyone hears from all sorts of spirits. Normally people think these are their own thoughts and can not tell the difference.

God is not about fear and condemnation.

Death is unfortunate, it is not something God would hang over someone's head.

God does allow us to be tested, however.

That is, it is a big, bad world and we must be on guard.

Upvote 0

Shizzle

Mar 19, 2005
✟8,792.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
I cant tell if its the devil or God, but seriously, IT IS NOT. NOT. your own thoughts you worldy moron.

the devil may act like its your own thoughts, or there many be a few devils working together. it could have been God and you still question it, but if he did then you'd probably be the type of person to understand what hes saying. tell us what did he say this in response to?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lilmissmontana

singing my hallelujah song
Feb 22, 2005
the wings of a snow white dove
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
We need to check anything we are hearing with the bible.

In this case, what you heard is not God & is not consistent with God's character & the bible. God is a merciful God & sent Jesus so people could be forgiven. It's not how God interacts with people in the New Covenant.

I wholeheartedly agree!

Upvote 0

papaJP

Prophet
Nov 15, 2010
Kerrville, Texas
✟15,783.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't go to church, they don't allow anyone under 16 in the church, which I've always questioned. And I am the first Christian in a long line of Athiests and Agnostics.
What kind of church are you talking about? God wants all ages to come and worship Him.

Upvote 0
S

SoundCard

I don't go to church, they don't allow anyone under 16 in the church, which I've always questioned. And I am the first Christian in a long line of Athiests and Agnostics.
What kind of church are you talking about? God wants all ages to come and worship Him.
You'll find one, just ask Him to lead you to one and it'll show up sooner or later. :)

Reactions: Firewater
Upvote 0

Jesusfreak<3

Jan 17, 2011
✟15,131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
This could be a good debate topic. I'm going to have to say that it's not God. I'm not sure why, but it's hard to believe that God punishes us through death, at least these days. It doesn't seem very Godly. The whole point of Jesus Christ coming down to save us from our sins wouldn't be very useful if God punishes us by killing us if we don't obey him. Our punishment of not obeying him is Hell. Death is part of human nature, and although God can control that, I don't think he would kill us. He is a loving God and is pouring his mercy over us, we must remember that.

Weather or not the thought is from the devil???? I'm not sure. My advice is to not worry about it too much.

Also, I think that is really depressing that you can't go to church just because of your young age. And I'm sorry that you seem to be alone and the only Christian in your family. But reading the word is very important. I always question God about weather or not what I heard in my mind was Him or not. What I do is read the bible or meditate. Same thing for when I come across sinful thoughts. And sometimes, you just might happen to come across an answer.

Upvote 0