Righttruth

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟176,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In some of the Pentecostal churches, I have attended, I notice the pastor or speaker suddenly blurting out unintelligent word or two within a statement of his. No one clarifies what those words mean. Paul clearly said that unless there is an interpreter, no one should speak an unknown tongue. If that is the case, what these people are doing is nonspiritual!

Also I have noticed people simultaneously makings noises till the pastor raises his hand for stopping. They are never interpreted subsequently.

Does mean things have changed after all the years beginning from Corinth?

pilgrim42

Oct 2, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
✟8,036.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In some of the Pentecostal churches, I have attended, I notice the pastor or speaker suddenly blurting out unintelligent word or two within a statement of his. No one clarifies what those words mean. Paul clearly said that unless there is an interpreter, no one should speak an unknown tongue. If that is the case, what these people are doing is nonspiritual!

Also I have noticed people simultaneously makings noises till the pastor raises his hand for stopping. They are never interpreted subsequently.

I think there is a good chance that these things are being done in the flesh. If we don't do things Biblically we are putting ourselves at risk of confusing (maybe deceiving) others.

Ken :bow:

Upvote 0

jamadan

Jan 1, 2009
✟8,566.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
That's the pastor's attempt to sound like he's under the influence of and speaking directly from the Holy Spirit. It's a show. It's the flesh. The Holy Spirit never overrides like that. The spirit of the prophet is ALWAYS in the control of the prophet. So if the pastor acts like that, he's encouraging all manner of fleshly acts amongst his congregation. It's a sign of spiritual immaturity of the pastor and the congregation. Personally, I'd leave and find a more mature church.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

It seems that you are maybe referring to how a speaker instead of saying, 'Amen' or 'hallelujah' to a comment that he has made; where he instead might pause for a second then look around and speak maybe two or three words in tongues where he then pauses for a couple of seconds and then continues on with his preaching.

If so, then as a Pentecostal I would agree that this is one of those little oddities that seem to occur from time to time and as to why, well, maybe a speaker might have forgotten what he is about to say where he throws in a 'breaker' so that he can maybe regain his thoughts.

Even so, even though it is essentially harmless, I would agree that it should not really be done as the Scriptures do stipulate that every word in a tongue should be interpreted. It could be that as he frequently prays in tongues during times of personal prayer that it is a switch that could easily unintentionally switch on and if he regularly preaches then I suspect that some might not even realise that they've done this.

As this is probably the first time that I have heard this question asked; if I have understood your question correctly - then I'm impressed.

Reactions: Messy
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,283.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Tongues are a sign TO unbelievers OF believers (I Cor 14:22 and Mark 16:17). Not sure how they're going to be sign if they aren't spoken.

All tongues can be interpreted (I Cor 14:13).

I think we really need to be careful when we proclaim that something is not of The Spirit when it may be.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
My 1st thought when I read the OP is that the pastor instead of saying and .. and .. and ... or putting in a bunch of hmmm etc to giving him time to think of what his next comments will be has got into this practice of saying other unintelligible sounds. Good speakers don't do that. he probably could do better, but has got a little bit lazy with his deliver.
So I didn't think it had anything to do with tongues. But not being there, I could have missed what your referring to.

Upvote 0

Righttruth

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟176,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's the pastor's attempt to sound like he's under the influence of and speaking directly from the Holy Spirit. It's a show. It's the flesh. The Holy Spirit never overrides like that. The spirit of the prophet is ALWAYS in the control of the prophet. So if the pastor acts like that, he's encouraging all manner of fleshly acts amongst his congregation. It's a sign of spiritual immaturity of the pastor and the congregation. Personally, I'd leave and find a more mature church.

I agree with you.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Confusion here folks……there is a tongue from the Spirit that is for interptation, it is one of the gifts that some people have, just like healing, faith, miracles...And there is a tongue from the Spirit for prayer, such as one may have received when they were baptized in the Holy Ghost. This tongue needs no interpretation, and is used by believers during prayer time alone, in groups, in church services in prayer and worship time, once again this is not the tongue the bible is talking about that needs interpretation. The tongue that needs the interpretation is when one has "that GIFT" which is a message from the Lord. They will usually stand and speak that tongue for all to hear, its very different as every time I have heard it there comes a stillness, sometimes it happens during a service….the tongue will be given then one who has a "GIFT of interpretation" will then give what the message said.
It is this that Paul is talking about if there is no one who can interpret then the person with the gift should refrain from giving it. So many get the 2 confused and think they are one in the same….perhaps I'm blessed because I was in a church that had these, and my pastor on many occasion when preaching would speak sometimes in the tongues that he received from the Holy Ghost, not sure if he got so much on fire he knew he was doing it or if it was just natural, and sometimes members in the congregation would also. It was just the inspired word moving on them so much, I never saw this as a act of the flesh, or as a show. I saw it as being inspired and using what God gave them and being free from what some people might think or be offended at.

Upvote 0

phydaux

Oct 22, 2014
Hudson, NH
✟14,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Seeking clarification for knowing the reality is trolling?:confused:

Asking if tongues are still valid today in a Pentacostal sub-forum sure seems like trolling to me.

But you guys are giving the benifitt of the doubt, so so will I.

Upvote 0

Righttruth

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟176,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It seems that you are maybe referring to how a speaker instead of saying, 'Amen' or 'hallelujah' to a comment that he has made; where he instead might pause for a second then look around and speak maybe two or three words in tongues where he then pauses for a couple of seconds and then continues on with his preaching.

I have also listened to other Pentecostal/Charismatic preachers who profusely use words, such as, Amen or Hallelujah which are well known. Even this has led--I have observed on occasions--to being used inappropriately. For examples: They will say, "Cain murdered Abel. Amen!" or "Jacob was a liar, praise the Lord/ Hallelujah!" Some of them frequently use the word 'Amen'!

If so, then as a Pentecostal I would agree that this is one of those little oddities that seem to occur from time to time and as to why, well, maybe a speaker might have forgotten what he is about to say where he throws in a 'breaker' so that he can maybe regain his thoughts.

As pointed out, it becomes an awkward habit--a kind of sour drop!

Even so, even though it is essentially harmless, I would agree that it should not really be done as the Scriptures do stipulate that every word in a tongue should be interpreted. It could be that as he frequently prays in tongues during times of personal prayer that it is a switch that could easily unintentionally switch on and if he regularly preaches then I suspect that some might not even realise that they've done this.

But somehow it makes me believe that they are deliberately showing off something that has no scriptural backing!

As this is probably the first time that I have heard this question asked; if I have understood your question correctly - then I'm impressed.

It has bothered me for a long time. I have ventured to ask now!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Righttruth

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟176,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Tongues are a sign TO unbelievers OF believers (I Cor 14:22 and Mark 16:17). Not sure how they're going to be sign if they aren't spoken.

All tongues can be interpreted (I Cor 14:13).

I think we really need to be careful when we proclaim that something is not of The Spirit when it may be.

My question is about tongues that are spoken but not interpreted during a preaching and in congregation.

Upvote 0

PRMan99

Feb 28, 2013
Southern California
✟15,146.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
"Cain murdered Abel. Amen!" or "Jacob was a liar, praise the Lord/ Hallelujah!" Some of them frequently use the word 'Amen'!

My pastor does this. "We're all sinners, amen?"

Well, since amen means, "let it be so", then no, not amen.

And then he wonders why he gets no response from the congregation.

Upvote 0

Righttruth

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟176,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

:) Poor pastor does it because of sheer habit no matter how awkward it signifies!

There may be two reasons for the silence of the congregation: either they are attentive or just the opposite during the sermon! :D

Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Amen in Christianity means also to be in agreement with. "We're all sinners,…." Agree or disagree?

Upvote 0