Righttruth

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟176,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Amen in Christianity means also to be in agreement with. "We're all sinners,…." Agree or disagree?

But the typical understanding as per a dictionary is this:

Expression used at the end of prayers, meaning So be it!

Special meaning or understanding are not relevant, particularly in a Christian worship service. It has a different meaning in Egyptian mythology!

Obviously the pastor's statement is not an end of a prayer!

Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
But the typical understanding as per a dictionary is this:

Expression used at the end of prayers, meaning So be it!

Special meaning or understanding are not relevant, particularly in a Christian worship service. It has a different meaning in Egyptian mythology!

Obviously the pastor's statement is not an end of a prayer!

If you looked up dictionary definitions then you would of noticed they also say to be in agreement with.

Have no ideal what your trying to say about "special meaning or understanding are not relevant".

Amen:The scriptural meaning

Upvote 0

Righttruth

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟176,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you looked up dictionary definitions then you would of noticed they also say to be in agreement with.

Have no ideal what your trying to say about "special meaning or understanding are not relevant".

I am referring to in general, not to just one statement you have quoted. To repeat again, I have found preachers continuously use that word throughout their sermon out of context leading to an awkward situation, like, "David committed adultery"...amen! :blush:

Upvote 0

AGTG

Mar 11, 2014
✟6,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's the pastor's attempt to sound like he's under the influence of and speaking directly from the Holy Spirit. It's a show. It's the flesh. The Holy Spirit never overrides like that.

If a person's heart is that surrendered enough to Jesus, the Holy Spirit can indeed "come upon" someone. When that happens, you know it. I've experienced it, and it's beautiful.

Every believer is indwelled by the Holy Spirit. Our spirit person walks with the Holy Spirit. We can hear Him in our mind, or feel Him impress something onto our hearts. But the New Covenant does not inhibit the Holy Spirit from also "coming upon" a believer, which is how the Old Testament men and women of God experienced Him.

This can happen corporately, as well, when believers come together in unity and God is pleased. This is how revival breaks forth among the people. This is why people are so powerfully transformed by His presence in a revival.

Consider the following: God made man from dust and breathed life into him. Land in the Old Testament is often a metaphor in scriptures for the New Covenant believer's body. Jesus used the metaphor of water for the Holy Spirit. When Father God chose to cleanse the earth the first time, He did so with water. Notice what most people ignore: Water broke forth from the ground and water fell from heave (emphasis mine).

Genesis 7
11 In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on that day all the fountains of the great deep burst forth, and the windows of the heavens were opened. 12 And rain fell upon the earth forty days and forty nights.

That cleansing is a shadow and type of what God would do later in the New Covenant, which started on the day of Pentecost: Revival!

The Holy Spirit within us, guides a people to worship Father God in Spirit and in truth in beautiful unity, and the Spirit comes down upon the people too and His presence is so tangible it puts people on their faces. It's the cleansing wash of His Living Water!

This corporate manifestation is known as revival, but it can happen on a personal level, too, which is known as personal revival.

God is supremely gentlemanly, and will always honor the freewill of people. But for those who are truly surrendered and willing to let Him have His way, He has permission to move in powerful ways that affect our body, soul, and spirit.

And shouldn't it be that way? He is Lord, after all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AGTG

Mar 11, 2014
✟6,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, praise God! I left this thread and found someone posted a clip of an interview of two people who were present at the Azusa Street revival which birthed the modern Pentecostal movement worldwide.

Note what this woman says at the 9:19 mark of the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8Kjc6Qdtko

"The power of God came upon him," she said.

I know I want the power of God to come upon me, do you?

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Well, praise God! I left this thread and found someone posted a clip of an interview of two people who were present at the Azusa Street revival which birthed the modern Pentecostal movement worldwide.

Note what this woman says at the 9:19 mark of the video:

"The power of God came upon him," she said.

I know I want the power of God to come upon me, do you?
I came across this video only yesterday and I was fascinated by the commentary of the two eye-witnesses. It was certainly strange looking at the very youthful (42 year old) Dr. Vinson Synan who is now about 80 years old.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In some of the Pentecostal churches, I have attended, I notice the pastor or speaker suddenly blurting out unintelligent word or two within a statement of his.

That seems to be a "style issue" - i.e. injecting bytes of "tongues" in for emphasis - I find it silly, but Pentecostals do lots of "Silly things". I've been one for 50 years, and Pretty much seen it all.

No one clarifies what those words mean. Paul clearly said that unless there is an interpreter, no one should speak an unknown tongue. If that is the case, what these people are doing is nonspiritual![/quote

OF course this is nothing more than "Hyperlegalistic judgementalism". comparing this to the totally "Out of Control chaos" in the Corinthian church is ridiculous. To hear some folks judge, you'd think that being heard EVER speaking in a tongue without an IMMEDIATE interpretation is a FEDERAL CRIME!!!!

BUT when a MESSAGE IN A TONGUE is spoken in a Church service (not just folks rattling in their "Prayer language") - IMMEDIATELY the service will get "Quiet" until the tongue stops, and the Interpretation is given. That's the normal order.

Upvote 0

Righttruth

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟176,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That seems to be a "style issue" - i.e. injecting bytes of "tongues" in for emphasis - I find it silly, but Pentecostals do lots of "Silly things". I've been one for 50 years, and Pretty much seen it all.

For me, it doesn't appear silly! In the context in which it will be used it tends to be preposterous!

OF course this is nothing more than "Hyperlegalistic judgementalism". comparing this to the totally "Out of Control chaos" in the Corinthian church is ridiculous. To hear some folks judge, you'd think that being heard EVER speaking in a tongue without an IMMEDIATE interpretation is a FEDERAL CRIME!!!!

Do they think that by such usage, they club with hyper spiritual people with outward utterances? Is it not undesirable: something left to guessing?

BUT when a MESSAGE IN A TONGUE is spoken in a Church service (not just folks rattling in their "Prayer language") - IMMEDIATELY the service will get "Quiet" until the tongue stops, and the Interpretation is given. That's the normal order.

Did Paul recommend open prayer language in the service? I don't think so! Jesus said that it should be done in a closed room!

Upvote 0