Is there evidence of Noah’s flood in Chinese culture?

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think the Chinese are from Ham.

What about Francis Bacon?

Only kiddin...I have in my collection three Chinese flood legends...the legend of Yah-Hu is brought to us with sources in Veilekovsky's World's in Collision, the Fah Le legend was told to me by Mi King Lau as it was passed on through her ancestors (she was 80, a Buddhist, and was Toisonese), the most ancient Chinese character for boat is from the legend of Nu-Wah...

The Chinese word for boat is made up of three component radicals.

The left most character means "ship" or "vessel."

The upper righthand character is the Chinese number "eight."

The bottom righthand character is the word for "mouth" or "person."

In Yah-Hu it reports eight people built a boat and survived the great flood

Paul

Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think the Chinese are from Ham.

What about Francis Bacon?

Only kiddin...I have in my collection three Chinese flood legends...the legend of Yah-Hu is brought to us with sources in Veilekovsky's World's in Collision, the Fah Le legend was told to me by Mi King Lau as it was passed on through her ancestors (she was 80, a Buddhist, and was Toisonese), the most ancient Chinese character for boat is from the legend of Nu-Wah...

The Chinese word for boat is made up of three component radicals.

The left most character means "ship" or "vessel."

The upper righthand character is the Chinese number "eight."

The bottom righthand character is the word for "mouth" or "person."

In Nu-Wah it reports eight people built a boat and survived the great flood

Paul

Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’ve read papers that step through the post-flood genealogy and match the names to various later-appearing cultures. And I think its interesting stuff. But I don’t recall any papers that went as far east as China. And as someone who believes the flood was global, that was a puzzle.

Nevertheless I believe there is evidence that ties the Chinese people to an early worship of God, and even to the flood itself.

First, to God. The original Chinese deity, Shang Di (meaning “Lord of heaven”), is so much like the God of the bible that some Christian missionaries preach that they are one and the same.

Second, to the flood. To no surprise, the Chinese have a flood legend. And some of their earliest history describes the hard work of draining leftover water from the land after the deluge. But what’s especially interesting to me is that the Chinese character for “boat” includes symbols that mean eight mouths. And there were eight people on the ark. I knew that connection was controversial, so I’ve spoken of it to some Chinese acquaintances. To my surprise I got agreement. One even exclaimed she had never noticed it before, but agreed once it was pointed out.

So I think the Chinese can be traced back to Noah. I still don’t know where to place them among his sons, but I’m going to guess perhaps Shem, because their worship remained true to God for an extended period after the dispersion.

Canaan's son, סִינ Sin, is the ancestor of the Chinese/Sinim -though many tribes intermixed in the land called Sinim, after the people/em of Sin.

Wikipedia

... Gesenius identifies Sinim with China. Others, too, identify it with Sinæ (China). Further, the Greeks and Arabs at one time referred to China as Sin. In fact, at one stage southern China was actually known as Sinai according to Ancient India as described by Ptolemy which had some tribes of Ἰχθυοφάγοι Αιθίοπες, Ichthyophagoi Aithiopes - that is, "black fish eaters".
Many of the early traders with the Scythians were known as the Sinæ with a capital at Thinæ (modern Thsin) in Shaanxi Province. From here we get the dynasty of Tsin, called by the Malays "Tchina", and so it remains today: China. Today, we still speak in terms of Sino-Japanese relations and so forth.

Of further interest is that the Chinese regard Siang-Fu (Father Sin), capital of Shaanxi Provence as the origin of their civilization.

[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Canaan's son, סִינ Sin, is the ancestor of the Chinese/Sinim -though many tribes intermixed in the land called Sinim, after the people/em of Sin.

Wikipedia

... Gesenius identifies Sinim with China. Others, too, identify it with Sinæ (China). Further, the Greeks and Arabs at one time referred to China as Sin. In fact, at one stage southern China was actually known as Sinai according to Ancient India as described by Ptolemy which had some tribes of Ἰχθυοφάγοι Αιθίοπες, Ichthyophagoi Aithiopes - that is, "black fish eaters".
Many of the early traders with the Scythians were known as the Sinæ with a capital at Thinæ (modern Thsin) in Shaanxi Province. From here we get the dynasty of Tsin, called by the Malays "Tchina", and so it remains today: China. Today, we still speak in terms of Sino-Japanese relations and so forth.

Of further interest is that the Chinese regard Siang-Fu (Father Sin), capital of Shaanxi Provence as the origin of their civilization.
That was interesting. Thanks for that. Btw, Henry Morris agrees.

Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That was interesting. Thanks for that. Btw, Henry Morris agrees.
I probably read that in Henry Morris' book decades ago....but other sources since.
In Hebrew, the plural em, for people, added to the name "Sin", makes it the "people of Sin, Sin's people", like Miriam's name meant the Hebrew, "bitter people"

Upvote 0