is the soul eternal or does it dissolve after death?

Status
Not open for further replies.

archierieus

Craftsman
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Petaluma, Califiornia
Visit site
✟55,139.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The soul cannot die--according to Christianity, that is.

Incorrect. The Bible does not teach that there is a separate 'soul.' See Kittel's article on psuche ('psyche) The whole concept of a separate soul originated in Greek philosophy and religion, reaching its full breadth around the 6th c. B.C. And there are many Christians who recognize that Bible teaching.

But you can trust us that the death of the soul (meaning spirit) is not a Christian belief.

That is not a correct statement. It is assuming a separate existence of a 'soul,' when in fact the Bible does not teach any such separate existence.

Reactions: Gazelle
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Incorrect. The Bible does not teach that there is a separate 'soul.' See Kittel's article on psuche ('psyche) The whole concept of a separate soul originated in Greek philosophy and religion, reaching its full breadth around the 6th c. B.C. And there are many Christians who recognize that Bible teaching.
I said that this is the conviction of the Christian faith. There are not many Christians and almost no churches which say otherwise. You can interpret scripture and history as you wish.

That is not a correct statement. It is assuming a separate existence of a 'soul,' when in fact the Bible does not teach any such separate existence.
The word "soul" is understood in two different ways. I usually try to indicate which of these I am speaking of. Yes, we have a lifeforce that is like the animals and dies, but we also have been created in the image and likeness of God, which is what we are speaking of under either the term soul or spirit.

Upvote 0

archierieus

Craftsman
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Petaluma, Califiornia
Visit site
✟55,139.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Gen ii.7, Eccles xii.7, Prov 15, Dan xii.2, Matt xxv.46,

Gen. 2:7:

"the LORD God formed the man . . . from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being."

Ecc. 12:7:

"and the dust returns to the ground it came from,
and the spirit (breath--cf. Job 27:3) returns to God who gave it."

Job 27:3. KJV:

" 3All the while my breath is in me, and the spirit of God is in my nostrils;
4My lips shall not speak wickedness, nor my tongue utter deceit."

Job 27:3 NKJV:

"3 As long as my breath is in me,
And the breath of God in my nostrils,
4 My lips will not speak wickedness,
Nor my tongue utter deceit."

Matt. 25:46:

"46"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

Note that this verse does not specify what the eternal punishment will be, other than it is not eternal life which the righteous receive. The form of punishment can be found in other Scriptures, however. Capital punishment is eternal. The one so punished never lives again, which is the opposite of eternal life the righteous receive.

Upvote 0

archierieus

Craftsman
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Petaluma, Califiornia
Visit site
✟55,139.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I said that this is the conviction of the Christian faith.

'Christian faith' as defined by what or who? The Nicene Creed? How about the SOF for this forum? Please point me to such a reference in the NC or SOF here.

The word "soul" is understood in two different ways. I usually try to indicate which of these I am speaking of. Yes, we have a lifeforce that is like the animals and dies, but we also have been created in the image and likeness of God, which is what we are speaking of under either the term soul or spirit.

Scripture for the highlighted words, please.

Upvote 0

vnct

May 19, 2009
✟15,410.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The communion of saints includes the living and the dead, and Christians pray for people.
are we supposed to commune with the dead?

i sometimes have had vivid dreams of my mom, as if she's actually there communicating with me. they seemed almost like very brief visions, lasting only a few seconds each. i had each of these for about once a month for a full year after she passed away.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
are we supposed to commune with the dead?

i sometimes have had vivid dreams of my mom, as if she's actually there communicating with me. they seemed almost like very brief visions, lasting only a few seconds each. i had each of these for about once a month for a full year after she passed away.

Ecc 9:4 For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope: for a living dog is better than a dead lion.
Ecc 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
Ecc 9:6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun

Your mom cannot tell you anything. She is dead. Her spirit (breath of life) has already gone back to God who gave it. From dust she was and to dust she has returned. Accept my sympathy.

Upvote 0

k2svpete

Jan 18, 2008
Australia
✟8,798.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would you mind not answering questions asked to christians in a christian forum. So far you have missed the christian mark on every reply. You are either playing games with this young mans heart or you just don't know any better. Either way, it would be best if you stopped.

Forgive me...

So anything that disagrees with your church's belief system is non-Christian. Riiiiiiiiight. I'll stick with scripture thanks.

Upvote 0

k2svpete

Jan 18, 2008
Australia
✟8,798.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The immortality lf the soul, meaning spirit, is taught in many places in scripture. What is not meant in the case of the human soul is that it always was God of course created it and it does not have the eternal or timeless quality that his nature does.

Soul does not mean spirit, I suggest you check the meanings of the words again. Immortal soul doctrine is not biblical, at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gary51

Senior Veteran
Sep 4, 2007
South Yorkshire, England
✟21,383.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
“And the lord God formed man out of the dust of the ground
And breathed into his nostrils the breath of life
And man became a living soul”
Genesis 2:7

God formed man’s body from dust and blew into him a soul
And death is reverse of that process of that.

Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was
And the spirit shall return to God who gave it
Ecc. 12:7

What is the spirit mentioned in these texts?

The spirit of god is in my nostrils
Job 27:3

The word spirit in these texts has a marginal reference
Which reads “or breath”
The actual root word is “pneuma”
A word which means breath or air.

“And the lord God formed man out of the dust of the ground
And breathed into his nostrils the breath of life
And man became a living soul”
Genesis 2:7

The soul is the combination of these 2 factors
Body (dust)
+
Spirit (breath)
=
A living soul

When one is missing, the soul is dead
Can the soul really die?

“the soul that sinneth, it shall die”Ezekiel 18:20

What happens when a soul dies?

Does the soul go to heaven?
Or Hell?

Answer:It ceases to exist and the breath of life,
Which made up part of the soul,
Returns to God.

“all that are in the graves
shall hear his voice
and shall come forth”John5:28-29

What did Christ say about the dead?

“Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep
But I go that I may awake him out of sleep
The disciples therefore said unto Him,
Lord, if is fallen asleep ,he will recover
Now Jesus had spoken of his death
But they thought he had spake of
Taking rest in sleep
Then Jesus therefore said unto them plainly
Lazarus is dead”John 11:11-14.

Jesus RAISED Lazarus UP from the grave. He did not bring him DOWN from heaven!

Upvote 0

vnct

May 19, 2009
✟15,410.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We do not view death as a permanent thing. It is appointed for mankind to die once.
:) okay, thank you. i'm trying to figure out what parts of us die. the body dies, but there seem to be different views on whether the soul dies or not. or maybe even that the soul may die and get resurrected.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So anything that disagrees with your church's belief system is non-Christian. Riiiiiiiiight. I'll stick with scripture thanks.

Not a church.

Not my Church.

The Church.

There is a difference.

There is only one, and it consists of all the Apostolic Churches who have stayed in communion with each other.

You can read scripture until your blue in the face and still teach things that are non-christian.

And that my friend is what you are doing... and I for one will challenge you on every single non-christian idea that you want to call christian.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
:) okay, thank you. i'm trying to figure out what parts of us die. the body dies, but there seem to be different views on whether the soul dies or not. or maybe even that the soul may die and get resurrected.

We only die physically.

We have a beginning at Birth. It is both physical and spiritual.

We die physically, but not spiritually.

The spirit lives on in a "foretaste" of what our final judgement will be like, ever moving in the direction it chose in life.

At the last moment of time all of us will be physically called from the graves to stand for judgement. From there we enter into eternity.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

k2svpete

Jan 18, 2008
Australia
✟8,798.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not a church.

Not my Church.

The Church.

There is a difference.

There is only one, and it consists of all the Apostolic Churches who have stayed in communion with each other.

You can read scripture until your blue in the face and still teach things that are non-christian.

And that my friend is what you are doing... and I for one will challenge you on every single non-christian idea that you want to call christian.

Forgive me...

Oh the irony. Might I suggest some long hard looking in the mirror and scripture to make sure your church (for it is not The church) is teaching scriptural doctrine. There's a veritable laundry list of errors one could roll out but this thread is not the place for it.

Gary51 has rolled out the scriptures that support my viewpoint. Go for your life buddy, see if you can pick holes in it.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh the irony. Might I suggest some long hard looking in the mirror and scripture to make sure your church (for it is not The church) is teaching scriptural doctrine. There's a veritable laundry list of errors one could roll out but this thread is not the place for it.

Gary51 has rolled out the scriptures that support my viewpoint. Go for your life buddy, see if you can pick holes in it.

I asked you to stop giving advice that is contrary to Christian beliefs. Not because your voice is not wanted here, but because you are giving bad advice to someone who is truely in need of the correct Christian answer.

You said...

There is no immortal soul. Soul simply means life. When we die, that's it. The breath (spirit) goes back to God who gave it and the body breaks back down to its base elements. Our life, all our thoughts, character etc. ceases to be.

The exception to this are those who are sleeping, waiting for the resurrection.

This is NOT Christianity.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

MrPolo

Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20
Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
how do we know which is the best way to translate such? i've heard it suggested before that a soul may suffer for eons in hell prior to ceasing to exist.
That teaching is not in Scripture, nor ever taught by the Church. It is safe to not believe in the idea.

:)

Upvote 0

vnct

May 19, 2009
✟15,410.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Remember what the bible says about the soul. The soul that sinneth it shall die.

Man became a living soul after Christ breathed into us the breath of life. Breath + Body = Soul.
are you then suggesting that the soul dies with the body?

Man has placed an untruth on the soul. The immortality of the soul is an untrue doctrine based in tradition not scripture.

Those who die in Christ will wait in their graves for Him, and when He calls on the final day, they shall be resurrected to eternal life.
and that the soul may be later resurrected with the body?

Upvote 0

k2svpete

Jan 18, 2008
Australia
✟8,798.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For your first question - Yes. Those who are not of the elect, Jesus' flock etc. cease to be. There is some contention as to whether we are being judged right now or whether there will be a general resurrection to judgement, after which the 'goats' are put back in the grave to return to dust.

Second question - For those who are part of the body of Christ, they are sleeping now, awaiting the resurrection. It is like the pause button has been pressed and on resurrection we are revitalised with the transformation to incorruptible bodies.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.